Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Antipaladin-
    Serious memory lane stuff going on here today.

I actually prefer 'Blackguard', simply because ever since Best of the Dragon volume...what, I? II? I found the name 'Antipaladin' to be a little...too modern sounding.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

One thing I found 3.5 Arcanis did right is that rather than JUST having Generic Paladins and Blackguards, they also had specific knight classes for each God, evil or good. All based on the paladin class, all with granted powers and so forth appropriate to the actual god.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    One thing I found 3.5 Arcanis did right is that rather than JUST having Generic Paladins and Blackguards, they also had specific knight classes for each God, evil or good. All based on the paladin class, all with granted powers and so forth appropriate to the actual god.
    And now I flash back to 2nd edition's Specialty Priests . . . Memory Lane indeed.

Serious memory lane stuff going on here today.

I actually prefer 'Blackguard', simply because ever since Best of the Dragon volume...what, I? II? I found the name 'Antipaladin' to be a little...too modern sounding.
    I'm generally okay with antipaladin. Anti-pope, antichrist, antipaladin. Fits okay in that sense if that was what they were going for.

(yes, I know, other than being a demonstration of how convoluted and messed up the medieval church got, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with an anti-pope. All the same.)

I'm generally okay with antipaladin. Anti-pope, antichrist, antipaladin. Fits okay in that sense if that was what they were going for.

(yes, I know, other than being a demonstration of how convoluted and messed up the medieval church got, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with an anti-pope. All the same.)
    To each their own. :)

Anti-pope. Maaaaan....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    And now I flash back to 2nd edition's Specialty Priests . . . Memory Lane indeed.
    Step in the right direction, those.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Wait... Howso? It could go from "dead" to "full HP" in under a minute. It reflects most spells, and has armor out the wazoo.
    No ranged attacks, no flight, no special means of detection, no teleportation. In a game where spellcasters are the dominant power.

Even if you aren't particularly powergaming, it's not a real threat to a party that has any sort of business meeting it.

Also it actually only has AC 35. That is not 'armor out of the wazoo'.
    Last edited by Siriel; 10-01-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Anti-pope. Maaaaan....
    historical term ;p

Anti-pope. Maaaaan....
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Good alignment (I can let go having to be lawful good) is the price of admission for paladin stuff or why bother.
    I'm with you. A player in my current campaign really badly wanted to play a rogue/paladin. I said okay, but you're going to need to actually play the character as lawful good. That didn't interest him because he considered the alignment system to be only relevant due to certain spell effects, like Detect Good or Magic Circle versus Evil. I pointed out that there was even an explicit code of honor in the rules for a paladin to follow. The player wrote up an alternative code of honor, and it was laughably weak. He ended up making a rogue/sorcerer again.

I just want to say, when you're already on a comic book debate board, something like "nerdiest thread on the board" is almost an impossible dream. But gentlemen, multiple posts into discussing different systems for D&D, variants of the Tarrasque and paladin options, we are living that dream!

Also, just seriously, how hard is it to respect the source material from which paladins spawn? Complete Book of Paladins in that sense remains one of my favourite supplements for having done a nicely indepth exploration of the class, mentality, inspirations of where it came from, so forth.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    That's a Super-Pope, Quite different.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Pathfinder hits my sweet spot for that, as far as D&D type stuff. The variety of 3.5 with a lot of stupid edited out.

(also I hate on a personal conceptual level when you can have nongood paladins ;p At least call the other things by some other name! You are missing the entire point!)
    While I like it in general, one thing I'll say against Pathfinder is that I do a split take every time I see the Antipaladin class in it.

Requirement: Chaotic Evil
    Class Feature: Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    While I like it in general, one thing I'll say against Pathfinder is that I do a split take every time I see the Antipaladin class in it.

Yeah, going the chaotic evil instead of the lawful evil blackguard style route was a.. odd choice.

Yeah, it's silly to say that a chaotic character is going to follow a code of conduct. Really misses the whole point of chaos.

Yeah, going the chaotic evil instead of the lawful evil blackguard style route was a.. odd choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Yeah, it's silly to say that a chaotic character is going to follow a code of conduct. Really misses the whole point of chaos.
    Well that code could be just one line "Be nuttier than squirrel poop!"