Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Myth Makers: Wonder Woman's Greatest Villains

Wonder Woman might not have the most renowned rogues in comics, but these standouts have been pushing the Diana to the limit for decades.

Full article here.

In New 52 continuity, is Giganta still some kind of mutated ape? What the heck were these people thinking?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    In New 52 continuity, is Giganta still some kind of mutated ape? What the heck were these people thinking?
    Yeah they should have made her a mythological giant. Also Dr. Cyber should of been on this list over genicide.

Incredible Member

I can't believe that, out of all of WW's foes, Genocide appears on this list. A terrible character who was marred by editorial interference (the corpse was meant to be Knockout's) from a less-than-stellar arc whom no writers have used since. Seriously, why is a one-off villain on this list? Bizarre choice.

I realize that the vast majority of people reading the article will understand that it's not to be taken literally, but it still feels strange to read that Moulton Martson "created" Ares.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

BANNED

Doesn't sound like this was written by someone who has read anything Wonder Woman for years. Partly:
    -Giganta hasn't met Diana on page yet in the New 52 other than cameo... or just established as one of her headaches.
    -Ares... not much of an antagonist in the New 52.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Doesn't sound like this was written by someone who has read anything Wonder Woman for years. Partly:
    -Giganta hasn't met Diana on page yet in the New 52 other than cameo... or just established as one of her headaches.
    -Ares... not much of an antagonist in the New 52.
    They met, I think they fought an exhibition match at Wembley in SMWW

Spectacular Member

Wonder Woman's rogues, or lack thereof, have always been a problem for the title because Ares has really been the only credible villain. While Cheetah is well known she’s never been more than a casual villain not capable of taking down Diana. Her artistic rendering is also lacking aside from the Alex Ross design http://orig15.deviantart.net/f9e6/f/...93-d5oebnf.jpg

Genocide should NOT be on this list. She’ll never been seen again and that story arc was confusing, flat and best not remembered. Gail even has spoken on her dissatisfaction with it.

I’m surprised that Silver Swan and Dr. Poison didn’t make the list or even the most albeit one dimenstional recent Strife.

Hera should've been on this list too. I think she still has potential to grow into one of DC's biggest string-pullers along with Circe.

Spectacular Member

I'm also surprised to see Genocide on the list. I would have expected Strife/Eris, Silver Swan, Hades, or the First Born instead.

Amazing Member

I'll echo the surprise that Genocide was included. Silver Swan should definitely be included in this list as well as Stryfe. Love or hate the Azarello run, you have to admit Stryfe became the most memorable thing from the story and has the potential, I believe, to be one of the greatest Wonder Woman villains ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I realize that the vast majority of people reading the article will understand that it's not to be taken literally, but it still feels strange to read that Moulton Martson "created" Ares.
    Especially since Marston used the name Mars rather than Ares in his writing.

Whoever wrote this really doesn't seem like an actual Wonder Woman reader ... they also thought Sebastian Ballesteros was a woman and didn't point out that the original Giganta was not actually a mutated ape she was a dr. who tried to body snatch WW and ended up in the body of an ape only later to steal the body of a circus strong woman who was born with the growth ability. I'm being nitpicky here, but if you're going to write an article about WWs greatest villains, at least come across as if you are a subject matter expert. This reads more like a promotional piece IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Yeah they should have made her a mythological giant. Also Dr. Cyber should of been on this list over genicide.
    Yes. Giganta could EASILY be the descendant of giant Titans/cyclopes. And YES. Doctor Cyber, as well as Silver Swan and Doctor Poison, get overlooked.

And I don't know how Genocide--aka Scary Ninja Turtle--made this list.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Whoever wrote this really doesn't seem like an actual Wonder Woman reader ... they also thought Sebastian Ballesteros was a woman and didn't point out that the original Giganta was not actually a mutated ape she was a dr. who tried to body snatch WW and ended up in the body of an ape only later to steal the body of a circus strong woman who was born with the growth ability. I'm being nitpicky here, but if you're going to write an article about WWs greatest villains, at least come across as if you are a subject matter expert. This reads more like a promotional piece IMO.
    Generally, yes. Although Giganta was, in the Golden Age, an ape artificially "evolved" into a woman. The origin you mentioned was from Byrne. But, yes, your larger point stands -- this clearly wasn't written by someone who had done much more than read Wikipedia once through.

And it shows in the lede of the article. Batman's foes are the epitome of a rogue's gallery, but Superman's foes are mostly dreck. I'll compare even the original, Golden Age versions of characters against pretty much any Superman villain any day.

And then, of course, there are some cool villains not mentioned. I'm actually fine with Silver Swan not appearing on a "greatest" list -- I've never thought she was that great, no matter how many times she appears in the book. But since the writer is apparently not a fan, I don't see why any reader would put much stock in the curatorial judgment on display.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Ching View Post
    Wonder Woman's rogues, or lack thereof, have always been a problem for the title because Ares has really been the only credible villain. While Cheetah is well known she’s never been more than a casual villain not capable of taking down Diana. Her artistic rendering is also lacking aside from the Alex Ross design http://orig15.deviantart.net/f9e6/f/...93-d5oebnf.jpg
    Boo. Nonsense. Lex Luthor is "not capable of taking down" Superman in fisticuffs, but he can use his brains. Same with Dr. Cyber, say, or the Golden Age Cheetah, or the Baroness Paula von Gunther. "Credible" doesn't have to mean strength.

The chief problem for the title has been not villains (the concepts are there -- they just need some TLC) but the tendency for writer after writer to throw everything out and start everything over -- all the status quo elements of supporting cast, setting, etc., as well as the villains. The villains never had a chance to evolve over time, as Batman's did, because so many writers have dumped them overboard and left them to languish for years or even decades.