Fantastic Member

Default The Return of a Diva...Or Rather Devastation!

Now that the DC's universe has been rebooted, we can forget her pathetic loss to Wonder Girl (no offense to Wonder Girl, but Devastation should have made short work of her considering the trouble she gave WW).

I like the idea of an disturbed child who becomes an adult evil villain (kind of like an evil Capt. Marvel..lol), and can match the powers of Wonder Woman. However, I would totally sack the Titans origin, as the Chronus regurgitating cheap versions of the Olympians lacked a little luster when something I think could have done better. If we are going to go with the Titan's root...why not go even earlier, why not have:

Nyxx - The Primordial Goddess of the Night (equivalent to Gaea in many ways), ordered a female death spirit (Keres) to permanently possess a disturbed teenager, and empowered her with more skills by having the rest of her children award her with more power:

Nyxx - gives her incredible strength by drawing fear from the power of darkness; and regeneration from injury or at night or in the dark; she can also see in total darkness. Fighting in at night, where light and darkness sometimes combine, she can move as fast as the shadow of her opponent that moves faster than her; giving her equal speed to any combatant she encounters (but not necessarily skill) at night. During the daytime, however, her speed is just a few knots down WW's speed
    Nemesis (goddess of retribution): trained her in the battle arts (gave her a bow that fires and eldritch bolt and can transform into any ancient weapon she chooses)
    Hynpos (God of Sleep/Hypnosis) - gives Deva formidable mind-control powers
    Eris (Goddess of Strife) - gives Deva the power to create discord everywhere by influencing the emotions of mortals.
    Oizys (Goddess of Pain & Distress) - gives Deva the ability to tap into the pain and suffering of people, doubling up all her powers, making her extremely dangerous, especially with the power all the other primordial gods gave her as it works in synergy.
    Apate (God or Goddess of Deceit) - Deva is immune to WW's lasso's truth powers, and this gives exceptional cunning and strategy in battle. Along with the powers Hypnos gives her, this combination of powers make her very formidable, and she knows whenever any of her forced subjects are released by the power of WW's lasso, or anyone else.

Nyx's plan is to create a false avatar for people to worship, thus expanding her range of power back to its glory days, but WW gets in the way.

TT

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I like it a lot, personally!

I agree with you that a corrupted teenager makes for a very interesting villain for Diana. To my mind, the best Wonder Woman villains are the ones that tug on her heartstrings. The ones that she never gives up on.

And the use of Nyx makes a lot of sense. She was TERRFIYING to the Ancient Greeks. Even ZEUS was afraid of her in mythology. Making her into an "anti-Wonder Woman" with a dark pantheon of her own fits her concept really well.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I like it a lot, personally!

I agree with you that a corrupted teenager makes for a very interesting villain for Diana. To my mind, the best Wonder Woman villains are the ones that tug on her heartstrings. The ones that she never gives up on.

And the use of Nyx makes a lot of sense. She was TERRFIYING to the Ancient Greeks. Even ZEUS was afraid of her in mythology. Making her into an "anti-Wonder Woman" with a dark pantheon of her own fits her concept really well.
    Hold on, wasn't a disturbed anti-WW with a dark pantheon at her back exactly what she was when she had Chronus 'Sea-Ares' and his companions backing her?

I agree however that, much like Batman, Diana needs enemies who have either some-kind of connection or reflection in her rather than just enemies who pop up so she can knock them down again.

Actually since Vanessa and her time as the Silver Swan is out of the picture now... what if we had someone go through the same misfortune she did?
    Without the benefit of a sudden reboot... what if you had Cassandra Sandsmark be that unfortunate soul? Like she is already wearing a suit of armor thats connected to an unimaginably powerful demon, so what if he came back for her and changed her into an unwilling servant and set her against someone like Diana initially to prove his control over her?

Fantastic Member

with these kind of powers, Devastation can be a problem for the entire Justice League, not just WW, as she can turn the league against one another, and especially at night, match the speed of her opponents, and combined with her other powers, this really makes her potential dangerous.

She's a formidable villain but her origin needs a few tweaks to distance her from Grail.

WW DEVASTATION OA.jpg

WW DEVASTATION O1.jpg

WW DEVASTATION O.jpg

As is she's one of four children (Nubia, Grail and Jason) born on Themyscira the same day as Diana. Nubia is no longer cannon and Jason and Grail are still up in the air, but that's too many coincidences. Devastation's design, parentage and powers work well though.

Incredible Member

I loved the "...fastest if for the kill..." bit, even if "speed of flight" doesn't actually make sense. Anyway, I always liked the idea of Devastation more than the execution, and Peter David (whose writing I love) unfortunately took a giant crap on her over in Young Justice, effectively making the most read iteration of the character the worst.