Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermissions

Default Intermissions

I've made quite a few posts on how Marvel should experiment with the schedules of comics more, and one thing I've advocated for is borrowing from TV and having season finales and months-long intermissions.

We've had an intermission in the regularly scheduled Spider-Man comics for a few months thanks to Renew Your Vows. There hasn't been a cliffhanger although there have been announcements about the direction of the series and characters that function the same way (Mary Jane's working with Iron Man! Parker Industries goes global!)

I'm curious about how you guys feel about that. Would you have preferred seeing more comics in the 616 Universe with Peter Parker? Do you think it adds to the anticipation that it's been a few months? Is it something you really haven't noticed?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've made quite a few posts on how Marvel should experiment with the schedules of comics more, and one thing I've advocated for is borrowing from TV and having season finales and months-long intermissions.
    i’d go a step further and make it more like how animation works- wrap up an iteration after a few “seasons”.

finish a season. take a break. start fresh.

works for most cartoons and transformers franchise as a whole. granted, comic book readership tends to love its continuity (especially marvel) but i think dc has something close to the right idea (other than the rather predictable and insulting “end of the universe” storyline that just wipes everyone out. c’mon…try harder). you could keep each iteration for a decade or two then finish it up. and i mean actually finish it- tell the last tale of that series for real. end its legend.

I'm curious about how you guys feel about that. Would you have preferred seeing more comics in the 616 Universe with Peter Parker? Do you think it adds to the anticipation that it's been a few months? Is it something you really haven't noticed?
    not sure what you mean here? you mean more of 616 peter in sw?

Yeah, I've noticed the Intermission in the Spider books, to the extent I've forgotten how the Spider-verse was going. It does have a sort of refreshing feel about this kind of separation from Peter Parker's dramas. I would back it, because it gives a breather from the constant web of involvement with so many characters.

I wonder what could fill the gap while its Intermission?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i’d go a step further and make it more like how animation works- wrap up an iteration after a few “seasons”.

finish a season. take a break. start fresh.

works for most cartoons and transformers franchise as a whole. granted, comic book readership tends to love its continuity (especially marvel) but i think dc has something close to the right idea (other than the rather predictable and insulting “end of the universe” storyline that just wipes everyone out. c’mon…try harder). you could keep each iteration for a decade or two then finish it up. and i mean actually finish it- tell the last tale of that series for real. end its legend.

not sure what you mean here? you mean more of 616 peter in sw?
    I meant more of the regular Spider-Man comics. We had Spiral for two more months, although that was more about Wraith than Peter (although Black Cat has a major role as well.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't mind the occasional intermissions. They can cleanse the palate for what comes next and are preferable to the alternative which was, for a long time, the practice of using "inventory stories" as filler whenever a deadline was missed or creative direction was changing and Marvel wanted/needed a title on the stands.

As a sidebar, however, I do miss the model where Spidey had several satellite titles and each had it's own particular tone; it is something that could be used today for those put-off by Slott and also a nice way to put a spotlight on different facets of Spidey/Peter's life although perhaps that is a moot point with the upcoming ANAD direction.

Honestly, I think the big intermission was a mistake. Especially considering the delays in Secret Wars wrapping up. I prefer the event publication model where the event is happening concurrently with the publication of their usual ongoings in universe. It feels like nothing I can pick up on the shelf from Marvel really matters because its all transitional stuff between what went before and what is happening next.

Doesn't help that its all so confusing. On Battleworld there are like ten Spider-Men running around with no explanation.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I am not a fan of having a break in the cycle of my Spider-Man, but if intermissions were happening, I would hope it's only for the main story. I would like a side story like Spiral or Renew Your Vows to continue as an interlude. Maybe it would just be time to have a story written by someone else who doesn't necessarily have to focus on Spidey/Peter, but maybe on what has happened or is happening around him.

Mighty Member

Seasonal model all the way. I could go on at length about all the reasons it makes sense and is the future. I could also point out how some comics (especially Marvel) have been on that model, basically, for some time now. I think, starting with "Marvel Now", they have been on a slow transition from the old way into the new seasonal model. Marvel has been very smart and shrewd by making it subtle to most casual fans. It's also gotten them a bunch of number ones, which is nice for retailers and new readers, and doesn't hurt long-time readers, really.

So yeah, seasonal model is for sure the way to go. All of the arguments against that I have heard are either negligible, only apply to a tiny number of fans (especially when compared to the potential for attracting new ones), or an acceptable downside of an overall positive and necessary progression.

Mighty Member

As for intermissions, I'd leave it to the creators. I am in favor of strong creator control, of having creators with a long-term vision for the characters being allowed to tell their stories. If they want or need a break, or want to veer off and do a villain-centric mini for a few months, or flashback, or any other thing they can come up with, whole putting the main title on hold, I'm all for it. I'd like to give them the keys and see where they take us. How realistic that is, especially with characters like Spidey, I can't say.

I will say that I really respect the recent trend of indies taking planned (and unplanned) breaks. I think it takes a lot of integrity, confidence and courage to willingly sacrifice months of sales in service of the story. It would be really easy for Nailbiter (read it, it's fantastic), Saga, Low, Sons of The Devil, October Faction, or any of the other great comics that are taking breaks to just publish something. No guest artists or writers, no evergreens, and no filler is a beautiful thing to behold (or not behold). I really admire and take my hats off to those men and women. Again, how realistic, smart or possible that would be for a mainstream triple A book, I don't know.

Astonishing Member

Not a fan myself.
    In series as of Spider-Man that have such a strong narrative and many readers i think intermissions are not good.
    Renew Your Vows i did not mind because it made sense due the events of Secret Wars and the stories possibilities of that event.

A big reason I'm interested in comic books more than tv shows or movies is because they are continuously ongoing. I think intermissions are a HORRIBLE idea.

BANNED

I like the idea of a published intermission rather than just an empty gap between storylines. Maybe, like, one or two issues introducing new cast members and enemies and so forth before the next ten-month storyline kicks off. Gives the creative team a chance to stay on schedule and you can feature an up-and-coming artist and or writer, also.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of the idea for intermissions of comics to be honest but since they're having trouble with the Secret Wars schedule than maybe?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Honestly, I think the big intermission was a mistake. Especially considering the delays in Secret Wars wrapping up. I prefer the event publication model where the event is happening concurrently with the publication of their usual ongoings in universe. It feels like nothing I can pick up on the shelf from Marvel really matters because its all transitional stuff between what went before and what is happening next.

Doesn't help that its all so confusing. On Battleworld there are like ten Spider-Men running around with no explanation.
    I think the explanation has been clear all along. It's on every intro page and all of the solicits: "Each Region is a Domain Unto Itself". Basically a bunch of self-contained worlds, next to each other, operating independently.

"Matters"... That's a loaded word when it comes to comics, all right. I hear what you mean; the Secret Wars stories can be seen as "What If's" or Elseworlds titles. And if those don't interest you, fair enough. It does raise the question of what "matters" more, though: a good story, or just continuing an ongoing narrative. In other words, the "has to matter" mindset can (not talking about you in particular here, just that thought process) lead to a real crimp on storytelling options and choices. It also by it's very nature restricts the kinds of books that can do well, sales-wise, with some exceptions, of course. So books like Superior Foes, She-Hulk, Omega Men, and many others suffer for not tying into the larger universe enough (a.k.a not mattering enough), even though they are great, well-loved books. When fans complain about everything being Avengers/Batman related, this mindset is largely to blame. Buying the fourth Batman solo instead of a book like Gotham Academy because I have to know about some minor continuity point doesn't really serve my interest, which is getting as many good comics as I can.

If we can start worrying more about buying what we like and think is good, and less about whether it "matters", I think we and the industry benefit. After all, isn't getting a story that we enjoy what matters most?

We are in the midst of a major change in comics, moving away from the stronger, decades-long soap opera-ish ongoing narrative and into shorter, more complete, self-contained stories that may not carry over. It's not for everyone, but I think it's definitely appealing to more people than what has been the norm up until now.

I'll note that this board is less active when there are less major (ie- main title) Spider-Man comics.

Intermissions are likely to result in less conversation about a series, because there's a shortage of new content. That isn't necessarily a problem for Marvel, in the same way it's not a problem for HBO if there's less chatter about Game of Thrones during the time new episodes aren't being aired.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets