Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Introduce yourself to CBR!

In the wake of the fresh new start we've gotten, here's a thread in which posters, both old as well as new, can introduce yourselves. Tell a little bit about yourself, what comics you read, how you found out about CBR, your hobbies, favourite music/movies, what you do for a living, etc. etc. No set format in what you want to say about yourself, so you can be as long or as short about it as you wish. Oh, and if you had another user name before the reboot, maybe let us know who you were on the 'old' CBR.

I'll get things rolling:

I'm Mormel, 27 years old, from the Netherlands. I'm a lover of Marvel Comics, reading mainly back issues from the '70s and '80s, my favourite titles being Uncanny X-Men, Invincible Iron Man, and Amazing Spider-Man. In my spare time, I enjoy drawing, taking long walks outdoors (I tried it indoors, but that stopped being interesting fairly soon), reading both fiction and non-fiction, and listening to music. I have a casual interest in wildlife as well. I work as a cleaner at a small office building.

I learned about CBR in the mid-2000s when I would occasionally bump into the site while browsing the web for comic-book-related things in general, and in 2007 I decided to join. Before the reboot I also went by 'Mormel'.

That's pretty much it. Welcome (back) to CBR!
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I'm from the UK, I'm an actor, I nearly exclusively read Marvel. I got into comics by first seeing the X-men: the Animated Series cartoon and started casually reading my sister's X-comics. But the first comic I bought (and the one that made me a lifetime fan) was Thunderbolts #1 (in 1997). The fact Moonstone [Dr. Karla Soften, M.D.] is my favourite comic character of all time shouldn't be too surprising.

I'm 29, I live with my boyfriend, and our ADORABLE cat Oonagh (yeah, I'm one of "those" cat people; who's instagram is nearly exclusively of my cat). No fat, no-foam Starbucks lattes are my Achilles' heel. I love lists, I have a "Top 10" and "Top 100" greatest movies list. I went to university in America (go Cyclones!), and have lived in Ames, New York, London and Bristol.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-01-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

My name is Dylan. I am from California in a town 30mins from San Diego. I am 23 years old and a legal studies major. I am also currently working on 2 of my own comics, with a co-writer Jasper. We have some great ideas we hope to share with the world.

I joined these forums in 2011 June, it was almost comic-con and I was excited about the new stuff comic out from DC. I read comics as a kid and collected them. I started off with Superman from DC and Venom from Marvel. Then I started to love Poison Ivy. I also collected Ghost from Dark Horse, was a big fan. As I got older my collection died out and I fell out of the comic book world, still going to SDCC but not for the comics. At some point I just got back into them, and I never plan to leave.

Any questions? I am a open book!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

BANNED

Last edited by dupont2005; 11-29-2016 at 01:26 AM.

Hi, my name is Claire, I'm 26, from France.
    Comicbooks are a hobby I caught up as a kid thanks to my older brother "Strange"'s collection: I was mostly fascinated by the art, more than the story themselves (I went through The Clone Saga eyes wide-open so yeah, I confess ). XTAS also helped me fall in love with the media !
    Today I mostly stick with the new Marvel Now!, and Valiant lines. No DC though.
    My favorites ?
    Well I enjoy Uncanny Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Black Widow, and also likes what Hickman is doing in his corner; X-O-Manowar and Unity are my main prizes at Valiant.
    Hobbies?
    I'm very, very into sport (I've been playing volley-ball since my 14th birthday), so in my spare time, it's volley, jogging, volley, gym, volley, swimming aaand...volley.
    Thankfully, my companion is a sportaholic himself, this is also why I never really had to slow down in this department!
    I also used to dance (argentinian tango, 3 years) but I dropped it almost completely when I started working, to my great shame - same thing in the reading department, I barely opened a book last year.
    I'm into Sci-Fi mostly, Orwell and Asimov being up there. <3
    I work for an energy firm here in Paris, as a junior engineer, I mostly do consulting for foreign divisions here.

I've been on CBR since AvX, before that I only used to lurk in the shadows.
    Given some subforums are totally gone, I might be roaming in unfamiliar territories for a while.
    See you on these forums !
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Hi, I'm [redacted] from [redacted] and I love the new CBR!

I used to go by the username Hulk_Is - which I think intimidated some people, but since the nuCBR reboot I've changed my username to the even more intimidating Marvel_Is (#1)! Yes, I like Marvel Comics (almost exclusively), but I'm no Marvel Zombie. Follow my story from a relatively healthy child to a full-blown Marvelite through stolen pictures from the interwebz and a heap of hyperbole!

The (evil) Marvel Publishing Corporation's aggression turned (corrupted) a young child into becoming a lifelong fan of comics.

I wanted to become a comic book writer and artist, but in my teens I wanted to become a Rock God!

But, my big ego kept me away from that fantasy and the only fantasies I had left existed for me in comics. Comics with superheroes.

I've decided I can't kick this habit I have for comics, so away to places like CBR I go. Came for the Rumbles, stayed for everything else.

CBR, I like what you've done to the place!

My real name is Milo, and I contribute to sites like The Founding Fields & All Comic where you can find my thoughts on latest comic reviews as a blogger. (TFF is more for Book Reviews though I do the occasional graphic novel coverage there as well). I'm based in the UK, watch too much TV and read too much comics, but the latter is pretty obvious.

I follow both DC and Marvel, as well as Image/Dark Horse etc, and my favourite current series at the moment are Saga, Star Wars: Legacy, Green Arrow, Sandman: Overture and Daredevil. TV wise, I'm a massive fan of Battlestar Galactica (2003), and Firefly, Buffy, Stargate Atlantis & Game of Thrones with all of them being my all-time favourite shows.

And yeah, I was around on the old forums under the same username for a bit.

Post 10,000 or P10K.
    So what can I say that hasn’t been spurting off my keyboard for the last 9,999 posts? Plus however many I had before the Crisis of Infinite CBRs.
    It’s been a lot of fun. I have put considerable time and effort into this hobby, but I also realize I have been very fortunate. Or **** lucky might be a more accurate phrase. I started being really enamored with the Fantastic Four just when Kirby left. I had a few older issues, but really got into it in early 1971. In those days, I was a definite Marvel Zombie, seeing much of DC’s output as either too childish or not to my liking. But cut me some slack. I was a preteen.
    Time passed, the boxes under the bed started to fill up and to the astonishment of friends and family, I showed no signs of losing interest. Sure, my tastes changed mostly by expansion but I glided into my early adult years still a comic book fanboy. Family and a child who really wasn’t interested in the hobby, but hey kid, more for me.
    While some of my contacts went into the comic shop business, I so wanted to be part of the creative process and when my LCS started putting out copied 8 pg 8.5x11 folded over comics, I was hooked and got into that. I was lucky enough when the shop started published its own black and white run (It was the late eighties and we all wanted to be the next Eastman and Lairds), I and a friend were lucky enough to get a few issues done and published. The corporate word would have been “A Mini Series all along” but the sales tanked and three issues was all it lasted.
    That previously mentioned 8.5x11 foldover featured the LCS owner’s childhood creation and I had done a book length script for that which I offered up but nothing was done. At least for almost twenty years. Then I got word asking if I would be OK if the story was published. I thought about it for almost a whole nanosecond before saying “yes”. The art was done by Andy Fish who has some real professional credits of his own. The cover was a commission of that creation done by Gene Colan which was then inked by Tom Palmer. The book was a true vanity publication, but so what? I have a published story with a Colan/Palmer cover. And yes, that is true **** luck.
    So now, this is me. My pen name is my college newspaper comic strip character.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I'm Brandon, 33, from Palm Springs, Ca. Or a bit east of there anyway. I started reading comics very young, I learned to read with comics, and before that just traced the drawings inside, and flipped through them over and over. I grew up on bargain bin comics, so a lot of the weird 80's black and white stuff, which I still love to this day. Not big on super heroes at all. I quit reading comics in the early 90's when I was about 12. At age 28 I decided to sell off my old comics and dug them up. As I was going through them I decided I still liked them, so I read them, and bought more. Before I knew it I was here and my collection was bigger than ever. The appeal seems to be wearing off on me at this point. I've sold a huge chunk of my collection again, and have reduced my spending to about $150 a year. I don't read comics as often as I used to, even though there's so much cool stuff I'll never get to read even a fraction of everything I'd like to read. I'm sure the appeal will come back, I still like the boards.
    Come on, tell the truth, you are from 29 Palms. I sent you a private message.

Any way, I am Jimmy, from California. I have been reading comics since I was a child. My father used to leave Archie, Hot Stuff, and a variety of Marvel and DC comics around the house when I was a kid. I read comics from Marvel (primarily), Image, IDW, and some DC. You can probably guess who my favorite hero is. I have numerous statues, but my favorite, by far is the Annihilation Nova statue. Never thought I would see the day someone would make a statue of Nova, let alone several Nova statues.
    Last edited by 50yearoldNovafan; 05-01-2014 at 11:30 AM.

John, 44 from Virginia. Been reading comics since my big brother would give them to me to shut me up back in the late 70's. Been posting here since the Kingdom Come board days. Served as moderator for a short while back in the days of the Green Lantern and Flash boards, and again when the two were merged. Posted sporadically over the years but mainly lurked and read to see what was going on in various topics around the boards. Don't read to many comics now due mainly to budget restraint but pick up few from DC, Marvel and some Indie stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    Come on, tell the truth, you are from 29 Palms.
    Coachella actually

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    My name is Dylan. I am from California in a town 30mins from San Diego. I am 23 years old and a legal studies major. I am also currently working on 2 of my own comics, with a co-writer Jasper. We have some great ideas we hope to share with the world.

I joined these forums in 2011 June, it was almost comic-con and I was excited about the new stuff comic out from DC. I read comics as a kid and collected them. I started off with Superman from DC and Venom from Marvel. Then I started to love Poison Ivy. I also collected Ghost from Dark Horse, was a big fan. As I got older my collection died out and I fell out of the comic book world, still going to SDCC but not for the comics. At some point I just got back into them, and I never plan to leave.

Any questions? I am a open book!
    Is the Ghost stuff from Dark Horse any good?

Hello there CBR.

Working on a book The Superhero Method that looks at comic-book characters and their relevance to real-life altruistic action. It's a series of nine observations from the superhero genre that combined form the basis of a superheroic lifestyle.

Looking forward to checking out the new forum.

All the best

Hey everyone,

Great to meet you all. This seems like a really warm and exciting place to be.

I'm a long-time gamer, writer, and forum-goer. I'm relatively new to the comics scene, but it was an easy transition from RPGs and anime to American comics. I started about a year ago, focusing on Psylocke, and have since expanded my interest in the X-universe. Collecting has become a huge love of mine, and I'm excited to share my interests with all of you.

See you around!

~Mango

Hey folks! I'm really glad to be here. I've been looking for a good comics forum for a while and I'm hoping this is the right one for me. Over the last two years or so I've been getting back into comics in a big way. I'm mostly reading Marvel books right now (which would be a pretty big shock to my Batman-loving teenaged self) and my favorites are Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Ms. Marvel. Captain America is my current favorite character, though I'm not actually reading any books he's in at the moment. I also try to read a fairly wide variety of creator-owned stuff. My absolute favorite books overall right now are Sex Criminals, Saga, and Rat Queens. But I really do tend to like a lot of different things. I play music, sometimes do activist-y type stuff, write, and do a weekly webcomic.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know y'all better.