Page 18 of 92 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    DHowell723

Hey everyone, My name is Dwayne. I am an artist. I'm originally from Brooklyn, Ny but currently living in North Carolina. I've grown up loving comic books and trading cards which is why I am currently working on a project to bring that back to today's world (which I will touch on later). I'm big on the Marvel Universe, Image, just really getting comfortable with more of what DC has to offer, and independent comics now are brighter to me than they once were. I found CBR via a Facebook post, which magically appeared after my girlfriend made a comment about how I should seek out these forums to push my projects seeing how friends/family on facebook may not be the way to go when looking for help to get the word out. I am an artist, I sketch a little (not as much as I use to) and paint a lot (More than I use to growing up), I have a bunch of great ideas but limited time to execute them all so I focus on the better ones and sell the others, also I am good for building and bouncing ideas if anyone ever needs any help... just throwing that out there. These days I have been mostly focused on building myself, my brand and my company... making my passion my main source of income. That is not an easy task! So I salute those have have done it and are doing it! So yea, as I was saying earlier the current project I am working on is my collection of what I call "Dwayne Howell's Modern Marvels", where I merge real life with pop culture. I have perfectly meshed these worlds and am showing you that these characters that we have grown up reading about and grown to love, currently walk this earth with us disguised as celebrities. I mean isn't it the job of the artist to get you to see what I see? Well I have pulled together a total of 119 characters (plus a checklist), which I will be painting by hand on 11 x 14 canvas, and then turning into a series of collectible trading cards. It is very, very well detailed and thought out and excites me just thinking about it and how the celebrities pair up so well with the characters on so many levels. I'm currently working on getting the first 9 cards made via Kickstarter, which is not an easy task without the right following. I also have a GoFundMe page open dedicated to the project in it's entirety, which is more than just the trading cards. All of which and more can be read about in my blog entry on the Modern Marvels project. I hope that I gain a little more help as time goes on (hopefully more sooner than later), I think it is a great idea and I know there are others that feel the same and others who are intrigued. I just wanted to say my Hello to the CBR community and I hope to be able to be apart all that is going on here, to share and grow with you all and get in on all the fun going on.

atebitbrendan

Hey Guys,

Brendan from Ate Bit, long time lurker first time poster.

I am writing today to put the word out about a new pop culture based website soon to be released upon the world, we aim to provide the masses with the freshest news/reviews/general awesomeness on all things video games, television, film, comics, anime, culture and food.

We currently have a team of 12 but I am seeking some more contributors to jump on board, namely to champion the Comics area of Ate Bit but if you feel like you could benefit us in the other mentioned areas feel free to put your pitch forward. If anyone is interested in joining up or possibly working in parallel with Ate Bit let me know, we aim to create an awesome community for all walks of life to come and enjoy our content.

Happy to do whatever I can to help get your name out there as well.

Much love

Brendan
    brendan@atebit.net

Hey, everyone.
    The name's Boy Wonder, nicknamed "Bueno" on the only other forum I frequent. 22 years old and semi-college dropout (I plan on going back after I pay off what I currently owe) in Tennessee. I was studying Political Science with a concentration in Public Administration and a double minor in Business and Philosophy with dreams of Law School, but working full-time halted my studies. Now, I'm working my way up the restaurant business while working on my own comic book project.

I started with Smallville, way back when it first came out. I did watch the animated series from both Marvel and DC, but it was Smallville that really got me into comics. I was 17 and a college freshman when I started doing research on Smallville episodes and spent hours on the DC Wiki catching up on history before rerewatching all of Smallville beginning-to-end (just finished my fourth run of it yesterday!) and several old cartoons.

When Flashpoint and the New 52 first came out, I saw it as a way to finally jump in. Before, I was extremely nervous because of how much history comic books had and I was just intimidated to jump in. Fortunately, a former member of the aforementioned forum made the point that I knew quite a bit just from my own research so I dove in with all of the Flashpoint issues and then branched out into Marvel. I have read some non-Marvel/DC comics, but not much. I think Invincible would be the only main non-Marvel/DC I followed, though I've stopped a while ago with it. I don't own many hardcopies since digital copies are much more accessible and convenient, but I do have this very expensive dream of owning hard copies of all of my digital purchases (according to comixology, that number sits at 1,388).

I have a routine to read my comics (and manga). Every Wednesday before work, I let my subscriptions download from comixology onto my Kindle or phone and read what I can before my shift. On my break, I'll read whatever manga chapters are out. After work, I'll read my subscriptions then go through the releases and purchase any must-haves. Anything else of interest gets wish-listed onto the next paycheck (which I'll then read with another manga release).

Series I read now? Geez, quite a bit. All-New Ultimates, Amazing Spider-Man, Batgirl, Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Eternal, Batman/Superman, Constantine, Cyclops, Earth 2, Flash, Grayson, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Inhuman, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Justice League Dark, Magneto, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New 52: Futures End, New Warriors, Nova, Original Sin, The Phantom Stranger, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Red Lanterns, Secret Origins, Superman Unchained, Teen Titans, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, Uncanny X-Men, and Wolverine and the X-Men are what I'm currently either subscribing or wishlisting onto the following paycheck.

I'm also an avid role-player (not live-action or table-top, but I'm considering giving table-top a try), novel reader (though I'm trying to fall back into this habit), hopeful author (like I said, working on my own superhero project; been at it for a year now), cat lover, wannabe philosopher, and -if all things go right- future politician.

The Blockman

The Blockman here from Chicago.

Like most kids I grew up always loving super heroes most notably, Spiderman. I also always loved to draw and was considered the "class room artist" through out my school years.

Then in the early 90's something happened. I was thunder-struck by the Liefeld Levy 501 Jeans commercial and along with some of my friends we became early 90's comic fiends. Some of my most fond memories as a kid was taking the bus to this little video store that sold Marvel Comics Trading Cards then walking across the street to Osco to buy comic books. The superstar artist era was at an all time high and Image Comics were the NKOTB and like most "speculators" at the time we thought having every Issue #1 or gimmick cover/cross over meant BIG BUCKS 20 years later. Like... now. Oh, brother!

In the time of 91-93 I would sit in the kitchen with my comic book nerd friends and we'd draw our heroes and come up with our own characters (basically all were Liefeld rip-offs with pouches, shoulder pads and swords) and spend all night long doing so. Man, it was good times.

Then around 94-96 you're an upper-classman in high school. You get a girlfriend and start knocking boots and somehow, someway comics seem silly to you besides the fact by 95 everyone became so sick of the Image thing and same re-hashed unoriginal ideas being crammed down our throats causing me to never looked at a comic book again.

Until 20 years later....

Now at age 35 this past April I found my way over to one of the same buddies I am friends with to this day for a party hosted by him and his family. Working my way into his basement to use his other bathroom I notice his make-shift office was completely decked out in EVERYTHING comic book/super hero related decor. I was mesmerized. I stared at his book shelves and opened the white card board boxes hypnotized by the thousands of comics he had. I never known in 18 years he KEPT collecting and stayed into the entire scene. I was floored and brought to my knees. I felt almost insulted and wondered why he never told me. I even recanted all of the times I've been to his new home and wondered how the hell I didn't notice his comic book shop like office. An hour later, noticing I was AWOL he creeps downstairs and finds me sitting on the floor reading X-Force #3.

His words were... "Yea, I still have my comics from back in the day...."

6 more hours pass. Everybody went home. I couldn't leave. I re-visited and re-lived everything from New Mutants 98 to Hulk 300 to Savage Dragon 25. I even re-read the whole McFarlane Spiderman Torment story. He even showed me a little of his art work.

"Dude. I guess because you just quit comics and quit drawing all a sudden I just thought it was pointless to talk about it or tell you that I kept collecting..."

He informed me that NOW would be a good time to get back into the game. After explaining the New 52 and Marvel Now concept it was Game On for me.

Since the spring and thanks to eBay I've been able to pick up Batman N52 1-33 and I've been enjoying it ever since. In a world of bills, stopping for gas, rent, work, Over-time, the girlfriend, grocery shopping, house chores and everything else an adult has to endure comics have been the best escapism I've had in a long time. I've embraced the Geek Culture a little bit more and I'm proud to be back. I have to say my first trip to the comic book store was a little intimidating. I felt lost and alone. It was easy for me to find my groove, though.

Now I'm a regular and a regular eBay guy picking up every Batman and Spiderman graphic novel I can devour.

Here is what I collect: I'm going to keep it very simple and easy so I don't get cluttered. When I was 12-16 I collected maybe 10 different titles. Now?
    : Batman N52
    : Amazing Spiderman
    : Batman Eternal

*Batman/Spiderman graphic novels.

I'm looking forward to Deathstroke in October. I'll keep it at that.

Thanks for listening to my story and how I went from there and back again.

By the way - I'm also working on my art again and having a blast re-imagining super heroes all over again. Plus - I've found this website.

The Blockman.

hatz

Hi all!

Hatz here from Australia.

I used to post here maybe 10 years ago, under another name (can't for the life of me remember the username). There was a big mishap with the CBR forums at the time, and everyone's post counts got reset to 0, and that was about the time I started to stop posting and reading comics in general. Impulse and Young Justice were two of my fav titles, and I think they wound down at about that time

Looking to get back into things and get reading some of the newer titles.

Big fan of Batman stories, and Robin was probably my fav title when I last stopped - though I hear Tim Drake is only around in the Teen Titans title at the moment.
    Generally a fan of the DC universe as a whole. Dont mind the Xmen, and Spider-man is so so for me.

Over the last 6 months or so I've picked up some trades and read most of Y the Last Man, Transmetropolitan, The Walking Dead - all of which I really enjoyed.

Anyway, that's me briefly

All-New Member

Hey everyone! I'm Shawn, from beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada. I'm a long time CB lover and have to say that my interests are all over the map. I read everything from the big publishers to the quirky indie titles although I strayed away for a few years due to financial reasons (kids are expensive ok!)

I'm an Associate Editor for a video game site and that keeps me busy these days. We cover news and reviews as well as op-eds and are doing fairly well. It's an exciting time to be a part of the video games industry! I'm slowly getting myself back into books now as I realized I couldn't stay away any longer! Too much good stuff!

Hi folks.

Name's Craig, from That Place Where It Rains A Lot (oh hey, it's actually dry right now!). I spend too much time on the web and like comics in general. More into Marvel than DC, always have been, though I have a few favourites among the latter I try to keep up with.

What else isn't too personal...no partner, no kids, no plans, bad job, too scared to get better job...god this sounds miserable. I promise I'm usually much more chipper when I'm talking about something that isn't me.

See ya around.

Quote Originally Posted by davee_mac View Post
    Gravely, that novel was the one that reignited my interest in comics this year!!!! Amazing novel.... but of course I wanted to go out and read the comics (and...I... can't!!! But I can do something even better... read comics that DO exist)

And a big thumbs up re: Dr Who heehee
    Glad that Kavalier & Clay returned you to comics. It is an excellent novel. I met Chabon while he was on his book tour for Telegraph Avenue. Excellent guy as well as writer. And thanks for the thumbs up for the Whovian girlfriend, haha.

Hi everyone! My name is Kat. I'm 24 from little old Delaware. Uhhhh... I'm a Biological Sciences major in college.... and I sort of stumbled upon this site while looking for information on Spread lol. Patiently waiting for issue 3 right now. I'm really bad at these things. I'm a big Marvel fan but I'll read anything I can get my hands on. I also play way too many video games when I have my school breaks. And I'm terrible with keeping up with forums. Mostly, I will be silently reading through pages and pages of threads, but it is only because I love to find new comics I wouldn't have looked for otherwise. Anyway, that's about it!

Hello! I'm Megan, I'm a student just finishing her BA, I majored in Religious Studies and Gender Studies. I've always read comics off and on, but when my classes started talking about representation in media, and the New 52 had just started, I thought it would be a good time to read comics more regularly. Now that I'll soon be leaving school, I've started blogging about comics to get my fix and am joining CBR for the same reason While the New 52 got me back into reading comics more regularly, I don't pull any DC titles anymore but a lot of Marvel titles and indies, though I definitely plan to read Sensation Comics when it comes out.

Hello everyone!
    I'm Sandmarine, and I've been a 3D artist for over 10 years. My main passion is doing comics, and since I was never that good at drawing, learning 3D software literally changed my life. I know that some people look down on those of us who make comics using software than drawing them by hand, but hope not to find that much prejudice over here.

Anyone interested in checking my artwork and comics, here's my Deviantart page:

http://sandmarine.deviantart.com

Hope to find a nice place to call a second home here, cheers!

Hi all.... I figured I would do my introduction.

First of all I am a man of many interest, with a thirst for knowledge and fun. I am 45 married father of 3 who works in healthcare. I was rare occasion a comic book reader as a child growing-up. I was more in to sports and trading cards, but also had a "geek" side with sci fi and even some dungeons and dragons. I have always been a video game player. I have interest that have run from Harley riding, beer brewer, to WSOP poker player. Of late I have found a new passion ... that of comic books. I am loving what I am exploring and learning. The story lines and the art is so much better and mature than what I thought. Not just for kiddies, although i have introduced much to my 12 year old twins. I am currently reading mostly Batman items from collections volumes in hard cover and really liking easy of the digital format of comixology. I have also developed a fast liking to Dick Grayson, Nightwing and the new Grayson.

So of the issues I face that there are countless ways to continue in this hobby and obsession. The collector in me loves the physical comic, but the digital format is so convent. I guess I need to find my focus and expand from there. I look forward to exchanges with like minded comic readers. I am finding the character development and story lines are much better than I had envisioned. I may be an old man here but I promise you it is only in calendar years, not in spirit !!!!

Fell free to contact me

Just reading this last page makes me a lot more confident about saying hi! I'm also a returning reader, it's been about 10 years since life forced me to give up comics - though I still have them all. (Rather impressive as my inlaws loft caught fire and my entire Teen Titans/New Teen Titans collection was stored there but somehow remained intact!) a few plot lines on Facebook pages caught my eye and before I knew it I was sucked in again! I'm primarily a DC reader and catching up with the massive changes to all that! No more Nightwing was a shock, but the Grayson book is holding my interest. I used to read Crossgen before they went out of business... Who remembers them?

StandwithSeniors

Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity to share a little about myself!

I am D-Exclusive Denis Dickinson. I am a Song Writer, Alzheimer's Caregiver/Advocate, and Life Coach reminding us all to find our individual courage to be who we want to be and live our dreams. My favorite comic book hero is SUPERMAN. I found CBR yesterday by searching for comic book forums on Google. I am currently working on a non-profit called STAND WITH SENIORS that advocates for low-income families to find resources in their community to keep their loved ones home who are living with Alzheimer's and Dementia. To establish my idea and work as a non-profit I have giving away over 100 of my own comic books to people who wish to Stand with me and the Seniors I serve and buy a 2014 STAND WITH SENIORS pin. I have a list of my Comic Book REWARDS on www.choiceiseverything.com.

I have 3 years experience care giving for my grandmother with Alzheimer's, 2 years working with foster youth and their families to find ways to achieve their personal and professional goals, I have over 7 years working as an educator and Career Instructor, and a Masters in Counseling. I was born and currently live in San Bernardino, CA. Let's Stand with Seniors!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by StandwithSeniors View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity to share a little about myself!

I am D-Exclusive Denis Dickinson. I am a Song Writer, Alzheimer's Caregiver/Advocate, and Life Coach reminding us all to find our individual courage to be who we want to be and live our dreams. My favorite comic book hero is SUPERMAN. I found CBR yesterday by searching for comic book forums on Google. I am currently working on a non-profit called STAND WITH SENIORS that advocates for low-income families to find resources in their community to keep their loved ones home who are living with Alzheimer's and Dementia. To establish my idea and work as a non-profit I have giving away over 100 of my own comic books to people who wish to Stand with me and the Seniors I serve and buy a 2014 STAND WITH SENIORS pin. I have a list of my Comic Book REWARDS on www.choiceiseverything.com.

I have 3 years experience care giving for my grandmother with Alzheimer's, 2 years working with foster youth and their families to find ways to achieve their personal and professional goals, I have over 7 years working as an educator and Career Instructor, and a Masters in Counseling. I was born and currently live in San Bernardino, CA. Let's Stand with Seniors!
    Welcome to CBR