Page 23 of 92 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Hi everyone, new here. My name is James, 47 years old from San Antonio Texas. Just recently have gotten into comics, and I have gotten into them big time. Big into the Dark Horse Comics Conan series, Rocket Raccoon, Legendary Star Lord, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Aquaman. I'm a metalhead, Iron Maiden is my favorite band. My wife and I are huge football fans and we also love baseball and hockey. I'm also a big World War I, World War II, and Korean War aviation nut. Have a dog and a cat. Looking forward to learning from all of y'all.
    Last edited by Invader67; 10-06-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Hey! My name is Robin and I have been a member since 2005 on the old boards but never really talked much. Just wanted to come out of my shell a little. I have loved comics my whole life. I started as mainly DC (Batman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman....and of course everything with Harley ) but now I have been reading a lot of marvel comics like Thor, X-men, GotG, and others. I also have been reading the older and newer Twilight Zone comics, random Edgar All Poe inspired comics, Zenoscopes Tales of Terror (and recently their Wonderland series), Tales from the Crypt and other old horror comics like that, Simonson's Ragnarok (though so far it only has one issue), the Vincent Price comics I can find, and some others. On the TV I like to watch medical shows like Untold Stories of the ER, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., cartoons like B:TAS and the like, random food shows, and horror shows (I am a big horror buff. My parents always let me watch whatever I wanted so I grew up watching a lot of horror (Cryptkeeper for death! :P )). I have a huge interest in mythology. I know mostly about Egyptian, Greek/Roman, Norse, Aztec, and some others. I have two cats. Love them to pieces. Mostly listen to classical music like Bach (love his organ music) and stuff from Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate. I have a big interest in reading and watching shows about old asylums (I have an illness myself that would have sent me there some decades ago so it has been fascinating and horrifying how they treated people with the illness I have.) Um I guess I will stop there. So hi everyone!

Hi Harley. I love Guardians of the Galaxy. Question for you. You said you know about Norse mythology, how is the Ragnarok comic? I believe one or two issues are out, does it follow Norse mythology at all?
    Last edited by Invader67; 10-06-2014 at 06:00 PM.

One issue is out at the moment. It starts out with the end of Ragnarok (with Thor in his red hair). It goes into a story with a black elf assassin and goes from there. I really liked it but I also really liked Walter Simonson's Thor from years ago. I can't wait to see how it goes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
    One issue is out at the moment. It starts out with the end of Ragnarok (with Thor in his red hair). It goes into a story with a black elf assassin and goes from there. I really liked it but I also really liked Walter Simonson's Thor from years ago. I can't wait to see how it goes from here.
    Sounds interesting. I may have to check it out. Thanks.

Hi! This should've been my first post and I totally missed the thread...

My name is JJ, or, that's how my friends call me. It stands for "Juan José". I was born in Tamaulipas, Mexico, which is the state below Texas. I lived there until a couple months after my 21st birthday, when I moved to Querétaro, Mexico, near the center of the country, for job purposes. I'm 27 and between jobs, freelancing translations here and there. I have a Degree in Communication Sciences and want to get a Masters starting next year. I arrived to the forum through a blogger page that focuses on presenting high end comic book publications.

I love mexican and italian food, love playing and watching soccer (Real Madrid, Manchester United, Juventus, River Plate and Guadalajara are the teams I support), I like to watch wrestling/lucha libre/puroresu and MMA, box, and football. I don't practice any of the latter, though. I'm not picky when it comes to music, I can listen to rap/hiphop and some quality pop, but I prefer rock in general and tend to favor 80s metal within that spectrum. My favorite band is early Metallica, and my favorite current band is probably Mastodon. I love movies and TV as well, too many directors and genres to mention.

I love comic books, and have loved them since I was around 6, but got seriously into them in high school. Stuff arrived to my city with several months of delay, and I couldn't keep up with the actual publication dates until right before going to college. Since I grew up reading Spidey and Batman, I started to soak up everything that was non-superhero. And shortly afterwards, I started my paperback collection, which I'm upgrading to hardcovers now. I read a lot of digital as well. My favorite authors are the usual: Moore, Miller, Gaiman, Morrison, Ennis, Millar, Waid and Busiek. And I have a very soft spot for Spider-Man, which is my favorite character, so Lee, Ditko, the Romitas, Kane, Buscema, DeMatteis, Stern, hell, even JMS, are among my faves as well.
    I'm actually collecting all of Amazing Spider-Man in any of its collected editions, and I am starting to write (not as much as I'd like to, though) about it over here. Last month, I started the same mission focused on Ultimate Spider-Man.

That should be a good starting point. I'm an open book, if anything wants to know any details, ask away.

All-New Member

Hi there, I m new to the forum. It's amazing and full of cool stuff.

All-New Member

Hi all, my name is Ian, 42 years old and from the West Midlands in the UK. I've only recently got into comics, I've always enjoyed the characters in Marvel and DC films, but I think going to see Guardians of the Galaxy really got me interested enough to venture into my local comic shop. I've since discovered the likes of Fade Out and Velvet and due to the sales on Comixology I've got quite the back log to get through already!

Plus Sunday just gone I fell off my road bike and fractured my hip so I expect I'll be reading these forums a fair bit and discovering new books to read!

Quote Originally Posted by HabUK View Post
    Hi all, my name is Ian, 42 years old and from the West Midlands in the UK. I've only recently got into comics, I've always enjoyed the characters in Marvel and DC films, but I think going to see Guardians of the Galaxy really got me interested enough to venture into my local comic shop. I've since discovered the likes of Fade Out and Velvet and due to the sales on Comixology I've got quite the back log to get through already!

Plus Sunday just gone I fell off my road bike and fractured my hip so I expect I'll be reading these forums a fair bit and discovering new books to read!
    Welcome! I hope your recovery is a speedy one
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Hey everyone! My name's Nina but most people call me Mattie, I'm 18, from France. I've been into comics (Marvel and DC) since I was five or something. The first comics I can remember reading is the first volume of New Warriors and I still love NW a lot, even if I think Marvel ruined the New Warriors (amongst other things) with Civil War. Other than NW, I love X-Factor and I'm not really picky about comics. My favorite characters are Robbie Baldwin (my poor, poor little Robbie) and Terry Cassidy (it's probably the red-hair, haha).
    Other than that? Uh, I'm really into MCU and various marvel cartoons (currently rewatching Wolverine and X-Men while waiting for new Ultimate Spider-Man episodes).
    Uh, about music... I listen to almost everything but I have a big preference for videogames/movies soundtrack at this moment. Speaking about videogames, I'm a big Mass Effect and Dragon Age fan, but I can enjoy playing L4D2 with my friends every now and then.
    I joined this forum because I want to talk with more comics fans, maybe discover some books to read.
    Anyway, I hope we'll have fun!

First of all, "The Batlord" has nothing to do with Batman. It's a reference to the band Bathory, whose logo looks like it says "Batlord". I've just been using it as a username too long to change it now. Hopefully my avatar (Bathory's debut album) will keep confusion down to a mildly embarrassing minimum.

Now, I've only seriously been reading comics since like, June or something, but I've pretty much become obsessed since then. Before that I was slowly getting into them more and more after rediscovering my love of Batman: The Animated Series, which pretty much ruled my life when it first came out, along with all the other DCAU shows, not to mention the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons (As far as I'm concerned, any super hero cartoon is automatically superior to most other cartoons.) For the past couple years I've slowly been building a collection of Batman graphic novels and trade paperbacks, but now I'm branching out in a big way. I probably would have become a hardcore comic geek long before now---I'm twenty-eight at the moment---but Star Wars hit me in a big way when the Special Edition original trilogy came out in theaters way back when, and I had little time for anything else. I actually read most of those awful Star Wars books too. Then when the new trilogy finally killed my enthusiasm I got into music, especially heavy metal, in a way that's pretty much ruled my life since my freshman year of high school. At one point I spent over a thousand bucks in a year just on CDs, so yeah, not a lot of time or money for much else. I still listen to hella metal, and am always listening to new stuff, along with that whole period of alternative/punk/proto-punk/post-punk/art rock/etc that started in the mid-sixties and onward, though I haven't yet got much past the nineties. I listen to a lot of other stuff, but those are my two big musical areas these days (Anyone who wants to talk about eighties thrash/black/death metal has a friend in me.) And now I'm way down the rabbit hole of comic books.

Currently I'm plowing through the original Ultimate Spider-Man series, which is pretty much everything I was hoping to get in a Spider-Man comic, but of recent stuff I'm currently keeping up with Hawkeye, Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Amazing Spider-Man, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Deadpool, and until recently, Thor: God of Thunder (Although Jason Aaron's run has been so amazing that I'm withholding judgement on the new Thor.) I'm always checking out something new though, so that list is always growing. Looking forward to getting some good recs.

Hi all! I'm Lisa, I'm 21 and I'm a software developer from New Zealand. I found this forum through a link from one of my favourite artists to a thread about someone trying to encourage a 'gamergate'-like movement for comics, and all the people pointing out how ridiculous and gross that idea was made this seem like a great place to be. Other than comics, I guess my interests are just general geekery. I game, code, cosplay, play D&D and play Magic: the Gathering. I love fantasy books, sci-fi tv shows, and movies that combine horror with other genres (musical horror is the best). My ultimate goals in life are to a) make a game that sells enough to cover the cost of it's own creation and b) work towards a PhD in Paleontology.

Now, to the reason we're all here.
    I guess I've been reading comics most of my life; in primary school, I'd spend hours at the library reading Tintin, Asterix, Garfield and Footrot Flats. I started reading webcomics sometime during highschool, and then sometime about 3 or 4 years ago, started actually buying comics. I started out digging through bargain bins at the (one and only (lol NZ)) local convention, going splits with a friend and trying to collect as many complete X-Men series as we could. At the moment, I'm following Rat Queens, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, the new Thor and Lumberjanes, and I'm looking forward to finding some new series to love.

im Dana, 35 years old and new to CBR but have been reading comics since I was 16. The animated x-men series is how I got my start, now I read mostly x-men and avengers titles with the occasional Read of most other main stream super hero stuff. I'm a former Marine and currently a Firefighter. Never could get into the whole forum thing before so I thought I'd give it a try one more time.
    Last edited by d-CON; 10-15-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Misspell

Hey guys!!! And girls :P

So, I was a member on here before the switch. I had a couple hundred or so posts. I don't remember what my user name was.

I've been reading comics since I was 5 years old, I'm nearly 34 now. I lost my job and life savings almost 3 years ago. During that time I, depressingly, had to slowly sell off my comic collection. I only have trades now. It's bittersweet but better for me in this day and age.

I'm currently compiling a list of trades to pick up. Doesn't matter what character. I just want good stories. My list as of this post is up to 102 trades and I feel like that is the tip of the iceberg.

So please, give me ideas folks.

Hey!

On the old thing, I was Adventuring Invincible Saber, but I changed it so it wasn't permanently tied to SHSO. I mostly enjoy the non-comic-related media, but also coming up with ideas for comics and related media. Mostly my own Batman animated series ideas, SHSO character specs, and of course, judging by my username, Amalgam combinations. I will be posting many ideas later, starting with the Batman animated series ideas on the Batman forum. Anyway, peace out! See ya!