Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    So if I sneak into some woman's dark room in the middle of the night and have sex with her, and she assumes that I'm her husband or her boyfriend, is that OK?

You guys know that this has actually happened, right? And that the men who have done it have been charged with rape?
    Someone can think the act is wrong without thinking it falls under the rape laws. In fact, I imagine some of those cases you are probably referring to ended up being overturned on appeal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Someone can think the act is wrong without thinking it falls under the rape laws. In fact, I imagine some of those cases you are probably referring to ended up being overturned on appeal.
    No they didn't! Those guys were convicted!

Incredible Member

I don't see the problem.

An all ages book can show murder and off-panel sex, but it can't have off-panel rape?

BANNED

I don't think it's that rape occurred. I think it's that rape being treated lightly, and in fact not even seen as rape.

And Aquaman isn't an All-Ages book...

It's rated T, and on Comixology it's 12+, the same as Identity Crisis.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

If I have sex with you and you don't know it's me, that's not consensual on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    3. Yes, it's pretty tired and cliched of a trope, and insanely commonly used in "shapeshifter" or "disguiser" villains, who are almost always women pretending to be somebody else, preying on men. Unless it's an instance of transphobia where it's men paranoid that other men are going to pretend to be women and that they're going to be so gullible that they dive right in. Either way it never seems to be men pretending to be other men to rape women.
    The only examples of men pretending to be other men to rape women, that I can think of, are both in Spider-Man and relatively recent.

Chameleon pretending to be Peter Parker and kissed Michelle Gonzales (Marvel had to address this and say they "just kissed.")

Otto Octavius in Peter Parker's body, under the guise of Peter Parker, carried on a relationship with Mary Jane Watson and slept with Anna Maria Marconi. The less than savory element of that was never really touched on.

But as for this, I just...really? They actually did this? I mean, I don't want to limit the kinds of stories that writers can tell or the conflicts they put into characters, but this kind of subject and how it's portrayed tend to not go over very well.

It also does not seem like the type of story or element that should be in an Aquaman book, particularly for a character who has for past several years been portrayed in a strong, stable, romantic relationship with a strong, and well-liked female character who's currently imprisoned and impersonated by her evil sister. If this was editorially mandated, at all, then that's just a really bad move on DC's part, and it was probably a bad idea to approve it to begin with.

I've been iffy on the new run since the beginning, all respect to Cullen Bunn, but I think this might get me to actually drop the book depending on how this is handled .

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And Aquaman isn't an All-Ages book...

It's rated T, and on Comixology it's 12+, the same as Identity Crisis.
    This might just be me, but I think Parker wrote it with an all-ages feel, at least there wasn't anything in his run for the most part that I think would be harmful for kids to see.

BANNED

I don't think it's that rape occurred. I think it's that rape being treated lightly, and in fact not even seen as rape.
    excuses, it was rape

So if I sneak into some woman's dark room in the middle of the night and have sex with her, and she assumes that I'm her husband or her boyfriend, is that OK?
    Doesn't sound like quite the same thing here. I'm assuming in Aquaman this was a case where he knowingly went into this as consensual sex, but things changed only after it was learned she wasn't who she was pretending to be? (Didn't read the issue, so I can't say specifically.)

In the example you gave, it sounds more like the guy was planning a straight-up rape without pretending he was someone else initially, but then took advantage of her guessing wrongly what was going on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Doesn't sound like quite the same thing here. I'm assuming in Aquaman this was a case where he knowingly went into this as consensual sex, but things changed only after it was learned she wasn't who she was pretending to be? (Didn't read the issue, so I can't say specifically.)

In the example you gave, it sounds more like the guy was planning a straight-up rape without pretending he was someone else initially, but then took advantage of her guessing wrongly what was going on.
    That's how it occurred in real life, yes. And it's happened more than once. I don't remember how the women figured it out. I think in one case her husband or boyfriend came in later and announced he had just arrived home.

Extraordinary Member

No they didn't! Those guys were convicted!
    If you insist on being so insistent on this can you at least cite something? A quick google on the term shows how rare a law this actually is and how some charges have failed to hold up.

BANNED

I thought bunch of drunk hairy truck drivers cornered Aquaman for a moment.... when i read Rakzo's first line... lol jk. lol

Fantastic Member

Siren might be pregnant with Arthur kid

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    If you insist on being so insistent on this can you at least cite something? A quick google on the term shows how rare a law this actually is and how some charges have failed to hold up.
    I didn't say it was common. But why would you think it wasn't rape if I came into your dark room and had sex with you, and you thought I was your significant other?

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/01/2...or_my_husband/

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/03/3...for_boyfriend/

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/zoom/a...0512_0141_2133

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-09-3...usband/1084866

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspap...9951126-1.aspx

And that's just from a quick search. I'm sure there are more examples.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-30-2015 at 02:30 PM.