Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bholderman View Post
    This entire discussion is one of the reasons I stopped reading comics 30 years ago. Superman-classic is one of my favorite characters, but somewhere in the late 80s, the was an effort to alter/update the character which initially I was ok with. The problem was it seemed to occur repetitiously every few years, some radical, some minor, throw in some universe reboots and I gave up. Thirty years later, I come back to comics and its the same thing.

In a ot of respects, I really do like the Paul Bunyon aspect to this version of Superman, but not its context. If this was Superman, earlier in life whose powers still were developing, I'd be all in. But in the context of being de-powered, a plot device used on too many occasions across 75 years, it doesn't work, because we know at some point, the powers will return, more than likely with yet another addition or alteration to his power set and/or his costume.

Brace, brace, brace.
    there is some need to reconstruct superman every couple of years that is annoying. and also writers seems to want to over compensate because of the boy scout image.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    there is some need to reconstruct superman every couple of years that is annoying. and also writers seems to want to over compensate because of the boy scout image.
    Unfortunately, I'm terribly old fashioned, especially when it come to Superman. I like the big boy scout. Re-reading early golden-age stuff, there are a plethora of in-story ads (not sure if that is the proper term) encouraging readers to exercise, read, study etc. The Supermen of America club took that a step further, and, using Robin as an example, similar efforts occurred in other books.

Deconstructing Superman's ability to lead by example, for me, is a big shame. Changing with the times is expected, perhaps even the definition of "boy scout" does.

Spectacular Member

Finally got through my pile, this being the last one in it. SIgh, to quote Trump, "Book sucked." The artwork, especially in the last few pages seemed very lazy. And he's wearing the traditional outfit as opposed to the jeans and t-shirt appearing in nearly every other book. Action Comics is the best of the two at the moment.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Finally got through my pile, this being the last one in it. SIgh, to quote Trump, "Book sucked." The artwork, especially in the last few pages seemed very lazy. And he's wearing the traditional outfit as opposed to the jeans and t-shirt appearing in nearly every other book. Action Comics is the best of the two at the moment.
    To be fair Superman doesn't lose his kryptonian suit until the Action Comics preview that ran months ago, which takes place AFTER the events of Superman #41-44. He then gets the tshirt and jeans look in ACTION#41, which also takes place after this recent Superman arc.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To be fair Superman doesn't lose his kryptonian suit until the Action Comics preview that ran months ago, which takes place AFTER the events of Superman #41-44. He then gets the tshirt and jeans look in ACTION#41, which also takes place after this recent Superman arc.
    I appreciate the correction, thanks. I'm still scratching my head over a lot of the overlapping issues.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I appreciate the correction, thanks. I'm still scratching my head over a lot of the overlapping issues.
    The books do seem like quite a mess lately, I wish they could just be allowed to do their own thing and screw the continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The books do seem like quite a mess lately, I wish they could just be allowed to do their own thing and screw the continuity.
    I thought that was the whole point of the DCNU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of the DCNU.
    you mean DcYou, but the approach doesn't work with books from the same line like superman books.

for example samlane is presented as general on last supes issue, when he was being presented as senator. the problem os lois boyfriend never showing up

BANNED

Since this was a point of discussion in this thread, I thought this should be posted here.

Will Superman, without all his powers and gifts, still be able to remain the kind of hero that Superman always has been? Pak: "Spoiler: Yes."
    http://www.newsarama.com/26274-nycc-...ore-panel.html

Ha. Good one, Pak. It really is a no-brainer. Its not that I fault Yang for hyping up the exploration of it in his story, I mean, he's just advertising the arc, but we all know the answer is yes, and any lines he tows of sound mind and body will be necessary but overcome, or he won't be of sound mind and body if he freaks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El