Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Hmmm depending on who's on tap, this could be interesting. i have been buying Superman regularly, but I'm not sure why. I'm not a big fan of certain aspects of this story, and the interviews don't exactly instill me with confidence. But, i guess I'm still here for the duration.
    This is me. It's like I'm doing it out of some weird sense of obligation. I don't like this storyline. Grant Morrison did it much better with the reboot. And maybe I'm just a traditionalist but they aren't exactly selling me on the idea of ditching the SI yet. Especially since the only thing they've done with it, across all the Super books, is put everyone he's close to in danger. It's probably a good thing his parents are already dead in this continuity because they probably would be by now after this! There's also the unpleasant fact that if they ever want to restore it, they're going to have to Dues Ex Machina the whole thing away by pulling a BND type stunt. It also suggests they don't have any other ideas. If the only thing you can think of is to de-power him...again, then you obviously don't know what else to do with him.

Something's missing. And I can't put my finger on it. I have no problem with the characterizations, the narrative was fluid enough, but yeah, just get the feeling something's missing. Maybe the art doesn't engross me. Maybe its just because I'm just about burnt out on the whole saga and am ready for the powers to come back.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

One thing I took from this latest issue is that the villians don't really fear Superman, till he puts the snackdown on them of course. also what does this say of SI's in general, would Barry be fired if his was common knowledge or would he be embraced cause he's human and a cop. Is it that Superman is an Alien that he's receiving such bias. If he was born Clark Kent would he be so persecuted? What part does prejudice of that which is other hold in this scenario.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 09-30-2015 at 05:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    wonder woman will be fine, on jL she is all about Trevor. At this point i just want it to end, because got boring too fast
    Maybe she will but I won't, I'm fed up with Wonder Woman being treated like crap, actually after Darkseid War I think I'm through with mainstream superhero comics, I'm just not getting my jollies out of them tbh

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

There is a theory that the reason why Superman is good is because his strength allows him to be good. If you were super-strong and were basically the most powerful being on the planet, it would be easy to be good because nothing can actually threaten you. But since he's been de-powered, we're going to test that a little bit. And that's the driver in the next story arc. We're going to see what makes Superman good. Is it his strength or is it something else?
    What? There's no questions as to what makes Superman good. It was his upbringings. There was always good in the heart of Kal-El and Maratha and Johnathan helped flesh it out. They taught him responsibility, taught him to be a human and a good man regardless of his powers. I seriously can't support Truth anymore if they want to go down this path. Essentially ruining the character by changing his characteristics.

Not much has changed, big picture. His powers will probably be back in a few months and his identity loss isn't going to last a great deal longer than that, I'd imagine. There's a difference between fundamental changes to a character and temporary shakeups for a storyline. In terms of the fundamentals, he's more "classic" Superman than Superman has been since 1985.

Though I would agree that its not a mystery what makes Clark "good". But that's probably going to be the conclusion that we come to in this story anyway. Just that its not much of a question.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not much has changed, big picture. His powers will probably be back in a few months and his identity loss isn't going to last a great deal longer than that, I'd imagine. There's a difference between fundamental changes to a character and temporary shakeups for a storyline. In terms of the fundamentals, he's more "classic" Superman than Superman has been since 1985.

Though I would agree that its not a mystery what makes Clark "good". But that's probably going to be the conclusion that we come to in this story anyway. Just that its not much of a question.
    Just because his power levels are close to golden age level does not make it classic. This isn't the characterization that was used in either golden age or silver age. On the contrary golden age Superman was ridiculously smart compared to moron we're getting now.

Last edited by DeathFalcon182; 10-01-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Good interview. I don't care much for Hordor just yet, but I do like that DC isn't looking to retcon or undo this. I don't think they should. I think there's much more potential in Superman not having a secret identity than vice versa. I also see more potential for him and Lois as friends rather than love interests. There's no question that Superman's desire to live as a human is a big part of his mythos. But now that task is a lot harder and he still has to find a way to function as Superman. And I think that'll be good for his character overall.

The only thing I still don't care for is his downgraded powers. I think that has been poorly handled and poorly explained. I get why it was done, but at some point I think it makes him too much like Batman and not enough like Superman.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    Just because his power levels are close to golden age level does not make it classic. This isn't the characterization that was used in either golden age or silver age. On the contrary golden age Superman was ridiculously smart compared to moron we're getting now.
    His powers have nothing to do with it. Its been his characterization since the New 52 started. Tougher, more attitude, Superman just as much the "real" him than Clark Kent, etc. This title does not illustrate all that as well as Pak and Morrison, but at the same time its not wildly off-base to that template either. I find him less stupid in this title as opposed to generic. He doesn't have much personality. He lacks the wit other writers have given him.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-01-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Oh and as an aside...totally called the naming of the next arc (Justice) months ago. Go me.

Quote Originally Posted by Actor4ever View Post
    Could it be an answer to prayer...Romita actually leaving Superman....One can only hope.....and lets return Superman to full power...this ridiculous version of Supes has worn out it's welcome. Time to get powers back, reconcile with Lois, and Kick Diana to the Curb...

What do we think the Diana/ Clark split will be caused by?

Her inability to wear a proper uniform (no cape) or something less serious?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    What? There's no questions as to what makes Superman good. It was his upbringings. There was always good in the heart of Kal-El and Maratha and Johnathan helped flesh it out. They taught him responsibility, taught him to be a human and a good man regardless of his powers.
    That's simplyfing it a bit, but I'd take it that outside of Waid, Morrision, and maybe Maggin, every other Superman writer sees it that way.

But that is what Yang is getting it. There are those who say Superman can afford to be a paragon of morality because his powers make it much easier for him than other people. He doesn't have to compromise at the same level as regular people.

If a criminal is holding someone hostage with a gun aimed at them, Superman doesn't have to worry about killing the criminal to save the hostage, but an ordinary cop might be forced to kill the criminal in order to save the life of the hostage.

What Yang is going to try and do is show people that Superman is still the greatest hero even while severely depowered. Someone that will always go by "There's always another way", no matter what.

They'll tease Superman going to extremes, only for him to stick with his ideals in the end.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 10-01-2015 at 04:04 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Oh and as an aside...totally called the naming of the next arc (Justice) months ago. Go me.
    I'm curious to know the title of the arc after "Justice". Will it be called "American Way" or "All that other stuff"? Or "Alienation" followed by "Lies"?

I feel strangely alone in how much I'm enjoying the current Superman books. Perhaps it's because I'm far from an expert on Superman's publishing history and don't have any strong opinions on how the mythology should be arranged. Yang, even in the middle of a status quo shaking event, works with small means that focuses on the characters and dialogue while also revving up a compelling plot and mystery. It reminds me a lot about that holiest of superhero grails; 70's Marvel. I can only guess that approach is something that has been tried a lot with Superman over the years, but I've never felt that it has worked as well as it does here. It's the complete opposite of something like Geoff John's current stuff in Justice League, which is all bombast, muscle and spectacle, yet it's still great superhero comics. Romita Jr's art is also a strong draw for me. While some of his panels are, for lack of a better word, ugly (they remind me of Frank Miller's crudely drawn cartoon figures in The Dark Knight Strikes Again) he has a wonderful grip on how to tell a story in pictures, and delivers an uninterrupted flow that somehow complements Yang's writing perfectly.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow