Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Spotlight on Grayson Annual #2

Edit: Grayson Annual #2. Just be glad I didn't spell "anal" at 2 in the morning lol

Do yourselves a favor and check out Grayson annul #2. It's got one of my favorite depictions of Superman in the new 52. I mean it! It's just so much fun! Clark and Dick play off one another so well that you wonder who the real world's finest are.

The story's reads air tight and gets to the point regarding what it wants to say about these characters at the end of the day. The "punchline" of the issue is that these characters, no matter how larger than life they may seem, are "just guys". Clark explains that legends don't change but right now all three of them (Clark, Dick, and Bruce) are doing just that. They are all changing and have changed.

Now for the best parts:

1. Clark names his motorcycles. His latest and most favorite one was named Lana (she even or took his previous favorite Vroomy lol)

2. Superman has this beautiful devil-may-care chill attitude about him the whole issue. He takes everything in such stride. It's just another Wednesday for him. And he's ridiculously likable in this book. Like even more so than some of his actual books. "*sigh* the lives of superheroes, huh?"

3. The way Clark and Dick play off one another. The two of them go about life with somewhat the same outlook (though coming at it from different angles). The whole time they play it off Bruce's preparedness. These two working class guys just taking it one day at a time.

4. Lex (call back to JLA: Earth 2) was so perfectly over the top I had to smile.

Long story short, I had a blast with this issue.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-01-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man, this was the best Superman story I've read in a long time.

Grayson is my favorite DC book by ten miles.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, this was the best Superman story I've read in a long time.
    This. I came here to say just this. This issue was just perfect. I wouldn't even mind a Grayson/Superman book if they were able to keep it that good instead of the Batman/Superman one we now have given how mediocre it is (and that comes from a big Greg Pak fan..).
    Last edited by AwesomeUsername; 09-30-2015 at 08:10 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm so glad I wasn't alone in enjoying this issue (as far as Superman fans go). I've gotta just reiterate that this is probably the most instantly likable that I've seen the character in resent comics. That silent panel into a big bear hug by Superman just kicked it all off to a great start.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It didn't make it to my store today, and the pain is real. I wish King had scripted it himself, but it sounds as good as I could have hoped for.
    Buh-bye

So...yeah, when Omega Men ends, can King be put on a Superman book?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At this point I'm thinking SUPERMAN.

I will agree with the others. ..great book.

BANNED

This was the best Superman characterization of Superman since Truth began, outside of Pak's work.

As for King, have him take over Superman/Wonder Woman. That's easily the weakest of the titles Superman's a regular in, and he gets to write Wonder Woman as well as Superman.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm so glad I wasn't alone in enjoying this issue (as far as Superman fans go). I've gotta just reiterate that this is probably the most instantly likable that I've seen the character in resent comics. That silent panel into a big bear hug by Superman just kicked it all off to a great start.
    Yeah. I felt that was a very touching scene in its simplicity. Especially when compared to some of the reactions from the Batfamily in last week's issue. Unlike Jason or Barbara (and amusingly enough, just like Damian), Clark doesn't care about wether or not Dick was being well, his namesake for faking his own death. He's just super glad to learn that he's alive.
    I've read some people criticize the exposition for being clunky, but truth be told, I think that was the joke, to highlight the crazyness of the situation for both characters. Especially with the whole "superhero lives, huh" part.
    Apparently, King said somewhere that the book was two bros hanging out, and that's pretty much the vibe of the whole thing. Both characters play off pretty well, and their friendship feels believable. Clark in particular has this "carefree adventurer who pulls crazy tricks with a grin on his face because he's just having fun" that made the T shirt Morrison take so likable (Dick was great too, but frankly, if you didn't realized it by now, then you haven't been reading the other issues. Which you should). But deep down, he's still a big softie who names his motorcycle after his ex.... after explaining that he can't get attached to them because they don't last long. The two characters have a relationship of equals, which is basically in line with the book's "goal" to make Grayson just as big as Batman and Superman. Al of this put in a mixer with a giant Mad Max Fury Road like action scene made for a pretty damn cool comic.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. Grayson is one of the best books out there. Having Supes make an appearance and be treated well makes me happy. Can't wait to read it for myself.

Astonishing Member

Tim Seeley wrote this; King only assisted in co-plotting, but it's clear from how these things work that Seeley is responsible for most of the issue.

Amazing Member

Almost got this but if I'm on the fence about a DC book, based on how their choices have disappointed so much over the last handful of years, my default is pass. I used to give most DC a chance but that goodwill's been spent.

Glad to hear good feedback...think I'll go back and give this a shot based on good reports.

I sorta wish that their theory on Spyral being involved with Hordr would turn out to be true. Its both rather simple and makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Tim Seeley wrote this; King only assisted in co-plotting, but it's clear from how these things work that Seeley is responsible for most of the issue.
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Simply put, whoever wrote this I want, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Simply put, whoever wrote this I want, lol.
    After this, I'd love to have Seeley on SUPERMAN. And I've been wanting him to take over from Snyder on BATMAN for a while. Might as well throw WONDER WOMAN in there too.

Basically, have him make the Trinity readable again please.