Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Amazed I haven't seen more outrage about the Winter Soldier's sudden turn to the dark side.

Way he took care of Fury was way too extreme if you ask me.
    It's times like this I'm happy I disregard 99% of what both Marvel and DC do in their comics.

"we've finally got a writer with a great plan, and springboard in sight"

Bet its Hickman.
    He wraps up Avengers next may, and is currently tweaking Dr Strange's power set to suit his ends.
    And has a great take on him already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by urmyth View Post
    "we've finally got a writer with a great plan, and springboard in sight"

Bet its Hickman.
    He wraps up Avengers next may, and is currently tweaking Dr Strange's power set to suit his ends.
    And has a great take on him already.
    Hickman said is leaving Marvel after Avengers to focus on his creator owned books.

BANNED

That all makes a lot of sense, but this could also mean that someone like Bendis would get hold of Sue to write and that makes me shudder. I really don't want Sue to have an affair with one of the X-men or one of the X-villains. But while I feel a sense of loyalty to the FF built up over many years I can't shake the feeling that to the writers and editors at marvel the FF is just a failing franchise they are embarrassed about, a holdover from a different time in comics. Sort of like the Marvel Family over at DC that they could never figure out what to do with and in the end decided to just eased them into obscurity by corrupting the basic idea behind them. That they want to get rid of the FF so that they can concentrate on a new and shiny Avengers centric universe with the X-universe as a sidekick to that and by throwing the FF into various Avengers teams they'll do that. I don't think that they do what they think is right for the characters -you don't have to look any further than Wanda to see how false that statement is- but will do what is marketable and right for the company and to hell with loyal fans. I think to them we're old news and they don't think about us anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ewayneself View Post
    Longtime FF fan here, who's been a loyal reader since the Byrne days. I wrote a note to Tom Brevoort about this. It was my first note ever to anyone at Marvel. Mostly, I read my few little comics per month, with the FF at the center, and don't pay much attention to anything else.

Obviously, the book's quality has had its ups and downs, over the years, but what's really changed has been the FF's prominence in the Marvel Universe. Lots of guys are stronger than the Thing, smarter than Reed, cooler and younger-seeming than Johnny. The FF barely get a phone call when a crossover event occurs. While the Avengers got Spider-Man and Wolverine as members, and all the TLC of a great, long-term writer, the FF got passed around, culminating in the indignity of Matt Fraction not even finishing his run so he could go fail at Inhumans.

When I read that statement from Axel, I actually have some hope. It feels like an acknowledgement that they've let this, their oldest and most stalwart property, falter through lack of proper care and so now they are taking some action at last.

Robinson has said that his story will destroy the FF and build them back up again, better than before. Let's take him at his word.

Brevoort has said that the FF will be published next month and a year from now. Let's take him at his word.

Alonso spoke at length about moving characters around, despite an irate fan-base, for purposes of revitalization, and that the FF will continue to be a vital part of the Marvel Universe. Let's take him at his word.

All these things add up to an end to the FF that, if they want us to take it seriously, will culminate in the cancellation of their comic a few months from now. The members will be scattered to the winds, where they will appear regularly in other books. In at least one case, they will be central to a big event, maybe a crossover.

I'm sure the hope is that this treatment will remind people how great the FF can be, let us look at the characters through the lens of other MU properties, let them grow in stature, and then culminate in the re-launching of the FF book sometime before June of next year.

This, (not) coincidentally, will allow the FF comic to take advantage of the movie and not vice-versa.

I was stunned and upset when I learned that the book might be cancelled. Now I'm more certain than ever that the book will be cancelled, but I'm not so upset. Ironically, it could actually cause me to buy more comics, if I find that the four are scattered to different books. And, if it will increase the stature, relevance, and visibility of the FF, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-07-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That all makes a lot of sense, but this could also mean that someone like Bendis would get hold of Sue to write and that makes me shudder. I really don't want Sue to have an affair with one of the X-men or one of the X-villains. But while I feel a sense of loyalty to the FF built up over many years I can't shake the feeling that to the writers and editors at marvel the FF is just a failing franchise they are embarrassed about, a holdover from a different time in comics. Sort of like the Marvel Family over at DC that they could never figure out what to do with and in the end decided to just eased them into obscurity by corrupting the basic idea behind them. That they want to get rid of the FF so that they can concentrate on a new and shiny Avengers centric universe with the X-universe as a sidekick to that and by throwing the FF into various Avengers teams they'll do that. I don't think that they do what they think is right for the characters -you don't have to look any further than Wanda to see how false that statement is- but will do what is marketable and right for the company and to hell with loyal fans. I think to them we're old news and they don't think about us anymore.
    The FF have been a solid mid-range seller for Marvel for years now.

Marvel have re-launched them several times to keep them going.

They've always placed solid creative teams on the book when the book seems to be loosing focus.

How does that indicate Marvel don't care about them??

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Amazed I haven't seen more outrage about the Winter Soldier's sudden turn to the dark side.

Way he took care of Fury was way too extreme if you ask me.
    Thanks for using spoiler tags! Not like people may not have read a two day old comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think what you say is correct. And I do think Bleeding Cool totally invented the reason behind the possibile FF cancellation just to increase the interest in its story. What I think is happening: FF had 2 relaunches in two years, both unsuccessful despite the big names put on them. Marvel notice just relaunching the books doesn't work. I think Marvel may indeed take them off the table for a while, having them appear in other book to increase their exposition to readers. What I think it's false it's they are canceling the book because they don't have the movie rights. On the contrary I am ready to bet they will relaunch the book exactly when the movie will be out, to benefit of the exposure but after the book is been away from the shelves enough to seem a real new return and not a soft relaunch of the same stuff.

Amazing Member

This seems like a pretty clear confirmation of the original rumor. It sounds like the current FF series will wrap up in a few months and then go on a haitus of some period, with the four characters moving to various other Marvel titles. I do hope that one of the storylines post-cancellation isn't Reed and Sue breaking up. I wonder if when the title eventually returns it will get a spike in sales like Thor did. The Fantastic Four has always been one of my favorites ever since they were my first Marvel comic I read back in the mid-70's, but they have had some really lackluster periods. I'm not even reading the current series, I had no interest in reading another title of them breaking up, I'd rather read about them exploring the unknown and having fantastic adventures.

I'm really happy to hear that Dr. Strange finally has another ongoing title coming - it was pretty inevitable now that the movie is confirmed for the near future. It's also great, and pretty astonishing, to hear that Rocket Raccoon has 300,000 orders for the first issue. It will be fascinating to see how those sales hold up over the first several issues of his title. I hope that the Guardians of the Galaxy team expands to include former members like Adam Warlock and Bug, both in the movies and comics.

Glad Alonso discussed the Bleeding Cool story about Fantastic Four. It would have been way too telling if he ignored it. That said, I'm not sure I can take his words 100 percent at face value. I mean what else could he possibly say? That Marvel was actively trying to undermine a property because they didn't like that Fox still owned the rights? Now I don't doubt for a second that Marvel agonizes about the deal they gave Fox for the X-men and F4 rights. I think that if they could go back in time, All New X-men style, they would stop that deal or at least change it. But it makes no sense to undermine it because it's not like they get nothing from the success of F4 and X-men. They just don't get as much as they wish they did. But some is better than none.

I think Alonso also dodged the question a bit when he went off on this tangent about taking changes. I don't think that's the issue here. I think the issue here is how the Fox and Sony deals affect the way Marvel treats is properties. There's no doubt that they have a greater incentive to raise the profile of the properties they own, such as Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Without knowing the legal framework of the contracts Marvel signed, we don't know how much incentive Marvel has to not support F4 or X-men. It's also worth noting that Alonso has several bosses above him. While he might not be inclined to disparage F4, others in marketing and promotion might. We don't know and we probably can't know.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

I could be wrong. After all when it comes to this sort of thing we are all astronomers looking at Mars through telescopes and trying to figure out if the canals are real or not. From my point of view Marvel is all about the Avengers now with the X-men or Spider-Man second and the FF thrown in as an after thought.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I don't think what you say is correct. And I do think Bleeding Cool totally invented the reason behind the possibile FF cancellation just to increase the interest in its story. What I think is happening: FF had 2 relaunches in two years, both unsuccessful despite the big names put on them. Marvel notice just relaunching the books doesn't work. I think Marvel may indeed take them off the table for a while, having them appear in other book to increase their exposition to readers. What I think it's false it's they are canceling the book because they don't have the movie rights. On the contrary I am ready to bet they will relaunch the book exactly when the movie will be out, to benefit of the exposure but after the book is been away from the shelves enough to seem a real new return and not a soft relaunch of the same stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Hi, Rich Johnston, head writer of Bleeding Cool here. I have never invented a story in my life. Not on BC and not on Lying In The Gutters which used to run every week on this site. In this case both my sources were Marvel sources. The Fox movie issue was the reason given by both for the at-the-time unmentioned by anyone FF hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Hi, Rich Johnston, head writer of Bleeding Cool here. I have never invented a story in my life. Not on BC and not on Lying In The Gutters which used to run every week on this site. In this case both my sources were Marvel sources. The Fox movie issue was the reason given by both for the at-the-time unmentioned by anyone FF hiatus.
    Love the work you do...keep on rocking the boat!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

This thread is not meant for arguing about the suitability of spoiler tags and claiming rudeness of the posts. (Either use PM if you need to directly contact someone or report the posts). Keep in mind that the article the original post links has a spoiler warning, so this thread should be read with the anticipation that the said spoiler will be mentioned.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

About damn time Marvel gave Dr. Strange a chance at an ongoing. How they can keep acting like he can't support an ongoing, while giving Moon Knight multiple chances to fail, when Moon Knight doesn't haven't anywhere near the ongoing track record Dr. Strange has, is ludicrous. No offense to Moon Knight fans.

It's even sadder, that the main reason they are finally giving Dr. Strange an ongoing is he's getting a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    This thread is not meant for arguing about the suitability of spoiler tags and claiming rudeness of the posts. (Either use PM if you need to directly contact someone or report the posts). Keep in mind that the article the original post links has a spoiler warning, so this thread should be read with the anticipation that the said spoiler will be mentioned.
    I don't remember that spoiler warning when I first read the article and none of the previous Alex in charges have such a warning. Nor does the actual thread title for this in the marvel comics board. Maybe I missed it this time. Maybe since I'm a regular reader of this article I skipped the intro blurb that always accompanies the article which has a little spoiler warning sentence at the end. My point is that writing spoil and /spoil in brackets seems pretty easy and little to ask for. And I preferred when the Mods focused more on preventing spoilers than referring name calling. Maybe I'm too old school in that way. And I know the mods like ravin ray do the best they can and focus on what the site enphasizes. Just wanted to make a suggestion on how to make things even better.

Also I know this forum is for talking Alex in charge but I consider complaining that it contained spoilers without enough warning to be on topic. Besides a post gets far more notice and official action than a PM. Me and the other poster were having a polite three message side bar on the subject and frankly I find people flat out calling columnist liars a lot more offensive than a little name calling.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 06-08-2014 at 06:51 AM.