Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cruizerdave View Post
    Winter Soldier is not a political thriller. It's a comic book movie action block buster through and through, complete with computerized villain, snappy one liners and lots of big stuff going boom in the climax.
    If WS is a political thriller, it's the absolute least intelligent political thriller I've ever scene. Not to mention the least political.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adameastment View Post
    Um.

Snyder is commenting on the flavour of the week movies when he's directing/set to direct/has directed an awful lot of comicbook movies?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Exception my backside.
    No, this thread is about the head of Marvel's movie devision thinking the superhero genre isn't a thing. He also says "I believe that each of our films can be very different" which, yeah, sure, they could be very different, but that's clearly not a thing Marvel has been interested in doing yet. They've seemingly been trying their damnedest to keep everything similar, so it's pretty funny if Kevin Feigue actually thinks they're doing very different things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    If WS is a political thriller, it's the absolute least intelligent political thriller I've ever scene. Not to mention the least political.
    Also the least thrilling. There's no mystery being uncovered in Winter Soldier, things are just haphazardly revealed as characters move along the conveyor belt that is the movies plot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrPizza View Post
    Pretty much this. Humor is fine but when its becomes a crutch to avoid going down serious territory stuff it gets old real fast. The final

boss fight in GOTG was annoying when they finished off Ronan with a Carebear stare. I was expecting lots of comedy to please the

casual viewers but having read the comic version(the good one not written by BMB) I felt it was a cop out. High stakes situation resolved

just like that.

EXACTLY. The Landis-Abnett run was FAR superior and Bendis did the...Bendis thing to it. Now GOTG has been reduced to a space comedy with half the cast of the book version and a cute Disneyfied cartoon to boot. I don't care what anyone says, Disney has all but destroyed Marvel Comics and as the films are now taking precedence as the source material, they all have this comedy/kid friendly "Gotta sell toys" tone post-Secret Wars. Avengers: Age of Ultron was just the same movie all over again, but Captain America: Winter Soldier needs to be the template of seriousness (not genre) for most Marvel films, if you ask me.

Feige, Snyder and Schpeilberg are all kidding themselves by attempting to divorce the comics mold. They are ALL comic book films based on comic book characters. The only differences are tone and technique in making them palatable.
    Last edited by Godwell; 10-01-2015 at 07:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godwell View Post
    EXACTLY. The Landis-Abnett run was FAR superior and Bendis did the...Bendis thing to it. Now GOTG has been reduced to a space comedy with half the cast of the book version and a cute Disneyfied cartoon to boot. I don't care what anyone says, Disney has all but destroyed Marvel Comics and as the films are now taking precedence as the source material, they all have this comedy/kid friendly "Gotta sell toys" tone post-Secret Wars. Avengers: Age of Ultron was just the same movie all over again, but Captain America: Winter Soldier needs to be the template of seriousness (not genre) for most Marvel films, if you ask me.

Feige, Snyder and Schpeilberg are all kidding themselves by attempting to divorce the comics mold. They are ALL comic book films based on comic book characters. The only differences are tone and technique in making them palatable.
    Kid friendly superheroes? God forbid. You would think we were talking about characters made to appeal to children here.

How could Captain America: The Winter Soldier be the "template of seriousness" for the movies? That movie is just like other stuff, and it actually has less going on than Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by dales View Post
    all have the generic kiddie marvel formula and they all suck. lots of unfunny jokes and explosions. yawn.
    Wow. You have very strange tastes.

Is it just cool to hate Marvel cause they're big or something? Do people remember what comic book movies used to be like? Or when we thought getting to see The Avengers on screen was an impossibility? If Marvel movies are the bad ones then what's worth watching outside of Nolan's so gritty it gets stuck in your teeth films?

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by dales View Post
    all have the generic kiddie marvel formula and they all suck. lots of unfunny jokes and explosions. yawn.
    I'm not gonna argue about this because their no point since I'm sure your thinking is biasedly skewed but when I hear people keeps saying that, it just to me now sound like b***- hurt talk

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Is it just cool to hate Marvel cause they're big or something?
    Apparently it makes them think they're one of the "cool kids" and everyone else is a cultural Philistine. Oh well, everyone needs to feel special, I guess.

Is it just cool to hate Marvel cause they're big or something? Do people remember what comic book movies used to be like? Or when we thought getting to see The Avengers on screen was an impossibility? If Marvel movies are the bad ones then what's worth watching outside of Nolan's so gritty it gets stuck in your teeth films?
    Yessir, you got it!
    However, I would appreciate seeing more comic book movies, not just superhero movies. There are some bloody good indie titles that would make amazing movies, IMHO

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithTwoCats View Post
    Yessir, you got it!
    However, I would appreciate seeing more comic book movies, not just superhero movies. There are some bloody good indie titles that would make amazing movies, IMHO
    And I think this is where comic book movies can live on a lot longer than superhero movies. Just like movies based on novels can be many different things, so can comic book based movies. But if all movies based on books were Stephen King novels, they'd last just about as long as superhero movies can/will. Case in point, being a reader of comics for 20 years I had no idea A History of Violence was a comic book until I saw it in the credits. I think there is a valid critiques being made in these discussions about superhero movies. But not all comic book movies are superhero movies. Comic book movies have more range.

BANNED

Is it just cool to hate Marvel cause they're big or something? Do people remember what comic book movies used to be like? Or when we thought getting to see The Avengers on screen was an impossibility?
    Let's not act like there aren't very real problems with most of Marvel's movies, (and I like more of what I've seen of them than not) or that some of them (like The Avengers) aren't terrible. Did getting to see The Avengers on the big screen ever feel like an impossibility? I would say pre-Iron Man, pre-2008, hell, pre-Ultimates really, it was more like no one cared if the Avengers were on the big screen. Before The Ultimates, Marvel's team of mightiest heroes may as well have been behind whatever Marvel was calling the fifth X-Men team at the time.

If Marvel movies are the bad ones then what's worth watching outside of Nolan's so gritty it gets stuck in your teeth films?
    There are other movies, other action movies even. In fact, since 2008, the best action movies we've been getting aren't superhero movies.

Is it just cool to hate Marvel cause they're big or something?
    Is it cool to have no critical opinion at all and to just eat everything Marvel throw at you with a blessed smile on your face?

Cause man, lot of cool people then around here.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Let's not act like there aren't very real problems with most of Marvel's movies, (and I like more of what I've seen of them than not) or that some of them (like The Avengers) aren't terrible.
    Let's not act like that's anything but your opinion and has little to no basis in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Is it cool to have no critical opinion at all and to just eat everything Marvel throw at you with a blessed smile on your face?

Cause man, lot of cool people then around here.
    Or maybe it's cool to enjoy a superhero movie without expecting Citizen freaking Kane.