Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Doctor Strange, #1

Who do you call when things are coming out of your dreams and trying to kill you? Or when your daughter is cursing in Latin and walking like a spider? Or when your dog keeps screaming at you to strangle your neighbors? Doctor Strange, of course. He's the only person standing between us and the forces of darkness, but has he been paying his tab? Every act of magic has a cost and Jason Aaron (THOR, ORIGINAL SIN) and Chris Bachalo (UNCANNY X-MEN) are going to put Stephen Strange through hell to even the scales.

Full article here.

BANNED

Was it really necessary to take the white streaks out of Dr. Strange's hair? It's like making the Hulk red or giving the Silver Surfer ears or turning Thor and Loki into women...

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Was it really necessary to take the white streaks out of Dr. Strange's hair? It's like making the Hulk red or giving the Silver Surfer ears or turning Thor and Loki into women...
    Well... at least half of those examples have happened

I haven't seen him yet, but I REALLY hate when they take a distinguishing mark and discard it. Stranges white streaks were like Fury's eyepatch or Wolverine's hair....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I haven't seen him yet, but I REALLY hate when they take a distinguishing mark and discard it. Stranges white streaks were like Fury's eyepatch or Wolverine's hair....
    Cumberbatch not having white streaks confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

So do I. And the shoes suck...

First page is so nice !!! (lol ! I hope they will soon reedit the Ditko's work once again !)
    Last edited by Abe; 10-01-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Cumberbatch not having white streaks confirmed!
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

Spectacular Member

Anyone else bothered by the bottoms of Strange's footwear? I know comics have been giving more detail to shoe bottoms for a while now, but I just can't help but feel that the Sorcerer Supreme shouldn't be wearing sneakers or boots.

This looks worryingly wacky. Rein it in Aaron. There's a difference between surrealism and randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    Anyone else bothered by the bottoms of Strange's footwear? I know comics have been giving more detail to shoe bottoms for a while now, but I just can't help but feel that the Sorcerer Supreme shouldn't be wearing sneakers or boots.
    Seems like the sensible option to me. Anyway a lot of shoes have those kind of rubber soles. It would be silly if he was wearing dress shoes, given the lifestyle he leads.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    This looks worryingly wacky. Rein it in Aaron. There's a difference between surrealism and randomness. Seems like the sensible option to me. Anyway a lot of shoes have those kind of rubber soles. It would be silly if he was wearing dress shoes, given the lifestyle he leads.
    If you are able to understand that a story will be confused and random by a double spread with just one sentence maybe you should work at MIT and not wasting your time writing comments here

Looks good so far.

As for the white streak issue... some of the variant covers do have them and I seem to remember from Bachalo's initial designs that he had them there... so either it's a recent change, or a coloring error.

My biggest visual complaint is that Strange's traditional pencil-thin moustache has become much bushier under Bachalo's pen.

Spectacular Member

Looking forward to it, but the de-costuming doesn't thrill me, not in favor of that trend in general. His cloak without the funky collar isn't as impressive to me, ditto for no gloves, normal pants and Doc Martens. It would be cool if he went from plain clothes to full costume when he uses his powers.
    Last edited by Timbales; 10-02-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The solicit sound a bit too Ghostbustery to me, but whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    If his work will take him to all sorts of terrain, mundane or magical, I suppose rubber soles will come in handy.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member mister_medusa's Avatar

I was tempted to buy this when it was first announced. I have enjoyed Jason Aaron's characterization of Wolverine, Hulk and Thor. However, $4.99 US for a new title makes this a wait for my local library to get a trade copy. Unless the page count is North of 64 pages, this Canucklehead will keep his undervalued (thanks price of oil) currency in his unappreciated (thanks Marvel) pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    If you are able to understand that a story will be confused and random by a double spread with just one sentence maybe you should work at MIT and not wasting your time writing comments here
    Aaron has a long history of wackiness. Wolverine and the X-Men was ruined by it. Thor and Star Wars dance on the precipice of it. Weridworld has wackiness as its entire premise. So when I say "This looks worryingly wacky," I am not just basing that on on the double page spread which features teddy bears and flowers and monsters wearing tribal costumes with no apparent unifying theme. I am basing it on my knowledge of Aaron as a writer. I am basing it on what Aaron has said about the series in interviews. I am basing it on the narration which claims "Each day [is] weirder than the last." And no, I don't know for sure whether this will fall on the bad side of wacky or not, which is why I said this looks worryingly wacky - as in, what we have been shown of the series so far makes me worry that it will turn out to be overly wacky. And I don't know where you pulled the word confused from, since I certainly didn't use it, or imply in any way that the story would be confused. The comparison between randomness and surrealism was referring to imagery and the type of worlds and monsters Strange is going to encounter, not to the plot.

So you might be feeling pretty smug about your smart aleck comment, but it was foolish.