Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hawkeye, too. Moon Knight by Ellis and Karnak looks interesting, as well. There's interesting work happening in all of comics. It's best to not close yourself off to any avenue so you don't miss cool things when they happen in places you might not expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    There's so much more to superheroes than Marvel and D.C. though. Read Astro City and Powers if you haven't already.
    Astro City is amazing. It should be as popular as Saga, Bitch Planet, or any other indie title but it's not.

OP, don't feel bad, it happens to all of us. I think your tastes are changing. I felt it last year. I decided to read more indie books and I feel a lot better. I read stuff from IDW, Image, Valiant, and even Archie. Since your username involves Mega Man, I thought you'd like to know that archie has a mega man comic, it's pretty good. It's bright, colorful, fun, Ian Flynn doesn't underestimate the intelligence of the audience, and it isn't quirky and cute like some modern books these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It'a a big world of comics out there, read what you like, life's too short to spend on comics you don't like (and too expensive).
    Esactly. And at least you're not going to turn into one of these tedious pricks who's been buying a title for ten years and complains about every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    Yeah, the Marvel books I've enjoyed the most in recent years are the ones like these; off in their own corner, doing their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Hawkeye, too. Moon Knight by Ellis and Karnak looks interesting, as well. There's interesting work happening in all of comics. It's best to not close yourself off to any avenue so you don't miss cool things when they happen in places you might not expect.
    I will admit, Hawkeye and Moon Knight are brilliant runs. I'm not going to turn my back on Marvel and DC's great runs. The thing I am turning my back on the amount of CRAP they put out over and over again every month and every year. And sadly, there is 5 times the amount of crap than runs like Hawkeye and Moon Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    I will admit that Gillen's Young Avengers was brilliant. However, I didn't like She-Hulk and Superior Foes of Spiderman at all. Just wasn't for me. Marvel and DC do have some great stuff. The problem is that they ignore the great stuff being released to make way for the crap they see as a cash cow.

I mostly get my superhero fix from Valiant these days, though there are 3-4 ANAD books i'll be trying out. Other than that I mostly read Image with some IDW, Oni and BOOM! mixed in. I also have Marvel Unlimited so I binge on older stuff when the mood strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    I will admit, Hawkeye and Moon Knight are brilliant runs. I'm not going to turn my back on Marvel and DC's great runs. The thing I am turning my back on the amount of CRAP they put out over and over again every month and every year. And sadly, there is 5 times the amount of crap than runs like Hawkeye and Moon Knight.
    Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is crap.

I will admit that Gillen's Young Avengers was brilliant. However, I didn't like She-Hulk and Superior Foes of Spiderman at all.
    You are dead to me.

Marvel and DC do have some great stuff. The problem is that they ignore the great stuff being released to make way for the crap they see as a cash cow.
    Well, they're a business first and foremost. The Big Event stuff keeps selling comics, so they keep doing them.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Superheroes are like the gateway drug of the comics addiction. When I really started to get into reading comics I was buying nothing but superhero books, but eventually I started taking note of the writers & artists and looking for more and more of their other work. This lead to finding Fear Agent, Criminal, Sin City, Parker, Scalped, and tons of other great non-superhero stories. There are times when there are no Marvel or DC titles on my pull list at all, I'm just pickier about what capes and cowls I'll read than I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is crap.
    That's the thing. Were you really just picking up a good chunk of the lousy ninety percent "because"?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    Superheroes are like the gateway drug of the comics addiction. When I really started to get into reading comics I was buying nothing but superhero books, but eventually I started taking note of the writers & artists and looking for more and more of their other work. This lead to finding Fear Agent, Criminal, Sin City, Parker, Scalped, and tons of other great non-superhero stories. There are times when there are no Marvel or DC titles on my pull list at all, I'm just pickier about what capes and cowls I'll read than I used to be.
    Same with me. Their comes a time when you realize that a character (even your favorite character) is only as good as the people writing it. Then you start following talent which causes you to migrate towards indie books. though I do return to superhero books when a creator I like has a run on a character or someone comes out with a unique take on a character.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

There's a wealth of comics in the world, and I like to see people spread their wings and try new things rather than complaining about the same old stuff. You can read hundreds of great comics a year, and there doesn't have to be a cape in them. Personally, I run hot and cold on superheroes, and while I'm kinda in a hotter phase right now, my three most anticipated upcoming books are Twilight Children by Beto Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke, Ruins by Peter Kuper, and Two Brothers by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.

I think it's also worth mentioning that it is a pretty good time to be selective about what it is you want from a traditional "Big Two" super-hero title.

Obviously, folks in this thread have been willing to point to "Big Two" titles that they feel are worth looking into. That sort of discussion alone is helpful when trying to sort out what might appeal to you as a reader that wants a certain thing from mainstream super-hero title.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Twilight Children by Beto Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke
    What's this now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    What's this now?!
    One of the new Vertigo launches coming soon.

from the DC/Vertigo page... http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/...ght-children-1

-M