Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Liked the first issue of "Paper Girls" from Vaughan/Chiang. Just a setting the scene type of issue, but interesting enough right off the bat. Recommend.

The title expresses a feeling I had for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment.
    I agree with this.
    However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo.
    Vertigo is part of DC.
    I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me.
    Events are generally **** and mostly unnecessary cash grab, a way to advertise titles of characters the reader usually doesn't read, I skipped them and I'm fine, did not feel confused or really in need to read event 'A' to catch up on what happens in book 'S', cause writers still give you the heads up of what you need to know, even when editor note is 'read issue ### of event 'D' mini series to know what's going on or what happened'.

And recent bad comics did not make me feel 'ugh' looking at older comics or runs I enjoy about characters I'm fond of.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    How do we get people to listen to Miles Davis instead of Nickelback? It's a sad fact that, as far as entertainment goes, most people prefer ****.
    The only thing that's ever worked for me is someone saying "Try this, it's cool." But people have to be receptive to that; there was a time when I wasn't, but then I grew up a bit. Ironically, it was Bone getting featured in Disney Adventures that got the ball rolling on that.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I see no mention of Adventures of TinTin here.
    And where is the mention of Asterix? Where's the love?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

I still read superhero comics but I'm really tired of the ones that are so reliant on action, explosions, and big splash pages. It's not like I don't like them, sometimes they can be really fun, I'm just getting tired of them. I much prefer the superhero comics that try to be to creative and have great stories, that's why I'm obsessed with all of Greg Rucka's stuff. I like mystery stories and pulp comics, with lots of suspense and cool twists and turns. This formula that is just "here's the villain, let's go pummel him, oh no here's the new villain, to be continued," is getting to be really tiresome and boring. I like comics that are fun and also intense and interesting at the same time, not one or the other.

I'm actually behind on a lot of my superhero comics. Right now I'm only reading stuff from self publishing comic writers and cartoonists.
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-12-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I see no mention of Adventures of TinTin here.
    And where is the mention of Asterix? Where's the love?
    I think it may take a while for Euro comics to catch on over here. I read IDW's Disney comics and they're European. Kind of. They're made in Italy than translated into English.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    I still read superhero comics but I'm really tired of the ones that are so reliant on action, explosions, and big splash pages. It's not like I don't like them, sometimes they can be really fun, I'm just getting tired of them.
    That's pretty much what I want out of straight superhero comics, right now. I can see burning out on it, though, especially if it became the bulk of one's diet.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

I will read Batman as long as Scott Snyder is writing it
    I will also be reading Jeff Lemire's upcoming run on Moon Knight.

Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.
    I can only say I feel the same.

I feel similar to the OP. I've too lost that loving feeling for SH. Thankfully, there's much more out there than the Big 2 fare. I've turned big time to horror books (Hellboy/the Goon/Crossed/TWD) manga & Euro books. I have a few writers/artists that I follow around if I like what they're working on...otherwise meh.

I find that as I get older I'm becoming more interested in the back catalog of Judge Dredd, Punisher & decades worth of scattered Conan material out there. I'm more inclined to read about the bastards of the comic world like Sub-Mariner, Constantine & Dr. Doom. Bad guys is where it's at.

Incredible Member

I'm actually just getting back into some Marvel superhero stuff after staying away from it for a while.

Image and Valiant still dominate by pull list mind you, but I have enjoyed some of the ANAD Marvel books in the early going. The key is picking through the Marvel trash to find the treasure. Doctor Strange has been really fun for instance. I anticipate The Mighty Thor will be really good as well. Both of those books seem to take place in their own little pocket of the Marvel universe such that you don't have to worry too much about crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Both of those books seem to take place in their own little pocket of the Marvel universe such that you don't have to worry too much about crossovers.
    Those are the types of Marvel books I've been enjoying the most in recent years.

They're not very European in attitude, though.

I think timing is the main reason Asterix and Tintin never really caught on in the US. The US has a long tradition of great comics that cover a lot of the same ground; so, Asterix and Tintin didn't seem very novel when they arrived. Also, US comics are a little more visually oriented than Europe (not in all cases, certainly). In terms of style, you have Europe on one end of the spectrum, with a large segment of writer-driven comics; and, Japan on the other, with mostly visual comics. The US tends to fall somewhere in the middle, with a mix of very wordy and very visual comics. Asterix is probably the more accessible, visually and the jokes translate better, plus it's satire. Tintin is filled with adventure; but, it apepars rather stiff, compared to American adventure strips and comic books.

Me, I love European comics. The diversity of material reminds me of my younger days when more genres were represented in comics, at the major publishers and the lesser. When I was a kid, I could read a comedy, a western, a sci-fi comic, a superhero comic, a detective story, a horror story or even a religious one. As I got older, superheroes were about it, with horror and war comics hanging on stronger than other genres. I tend to read more European stuff now, thanks to English translations, from companies like Cinebook, Humanoids, and IDW. Just looking at Cinebook, you have satire (Lucky Luke), action thriller (XIII), sci-fi (Valerian & Laureline, Antares, Orbit), westerns, epic fantasy (Thorgal), Victorian thrillers, pirate adventure (Long John Silver, Barracuda), history (Cinebook Presents...) and stuff for kids (Billy & Buddy). Chances are, you can find something you'll like. You don't have to look too hard to find some of that diversity in American comics, though you do have to venture beyond DC and Marvel (though they do have other options, besides superheroes).

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

I will read Batman as long as Scott Snyder is writing it
    I will also be reading Jeff Lemire's upcoming run on Moon Knight.

Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.
    Your avatar speaks volumes. No wonder you've grown wearing of the spandex, muscle-bound crowd. Neil Gaiman's Sandman. That was true escapism. The exquisite blend of classic literature, mythology, history, and the supernatural was truly intoxicating. And when a cat like Harlan Ellison extols your work as seminal, you have produced something very special that will most likely stand the test of time. A touch of the sublime. Seldom found in the superhero genre. Or perhaps I'm reading far too much into your ennui.