Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default I'm losing interest in Superheroes

    Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

    I will read Batman as long as Scott Snyder is writing it
    I will also be reading Jeff Lemire's upcoming run on Moon Knight.

    Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.

  2. #2
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Okay .

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    86

    Default

    I understand where you are coming from. I have not bought a Marvel comic since the DnA runs of Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy were cancelled and DC's Nu52 relaunch eventually pushed me away as well. I still read friends copies and do keep up with what is going on but neither company gets my money anymore. As an older reader I eventually realized I am not the target audience for the Big 2 any more. On the upside I found some stuff from Image, Dark Horse and Boom that I really enjoy.

  4. #4
    Lowly dog walker goof's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    200

    Default

    I went away from the superhero stuff for awhile too. I was only reading ASM and Batman until Green Lantern Corps #18 pulled me right back in. It's okay to take a break, but I hope you one day find your Green Lantern Corps #18, whatever book that may be.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    It'a a big world of comics out there, read what you like, life's too short to spend on comics you don't like (and too expensive). If you miss something and want to go back and read it later, it will still be there-trades and digital have changed the landscape (much like VCR/DVR did with TV), you can read things on your own schedule, when and where you want, as it comes out, or days/weeks/months/years later. Follow your comic bliss wherever it leads you. Don't get angry when books don't fit your tastes, find books that do.

    -M

  6. #6
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It'a a big world of comics out there, read what you like, life's too short to spend on comics you don't like (and too expensive).
    Esactly. And at least you're not going to turn into one of these tedious pricks who's been buying a title for ten years and complains about every issue.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    Ok, I still adore comics. It is still my favorite form of entertainment. However, the stuff I love are now stuff from indie companies like Image and Dark Horse or companies that at least give more creative freedom than the big two like Vertigo. Marvel and DC have been making so many mistakes lately that it is annoying me. So pretty much, I am almost done with both companies for good and will be putting all of my attention towards indie companies from now on. However, there are TWO runs I will still read from Marvel and DC, but it comes with restrictions though.

    I will read Batman as long as Scott Snyder is writing it
    I will also be reading Jeff Lemire's upcoming run on Moon Knight.

    Other than those two, I AM DONE. Constant reboots, nonstop events, illogical storylines, it is too much for me. Simply put, the charm of superheroes is gone for me. Like I said, I will still be reading Image, Vertigo and stuff like that. But Marvel and DC has done so much that pissed me off that I am done.
    It happens for a lot of readers and different points in their life. Can I ask you how long you have been reading comics? I thought I saw you mention that you were somewhat young? I ask because I am curious if this is a change of a many years long reader or someone who is still somewhat "new" to comics. Not that there is anything wrong either way I am just curious.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    We had a similar thread to this not too long ago. It seems to happen to quite a few long-time readers.

    It happened to me during the 1990's. I didn't read a comic for almost a decade.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    It happens for a lot of readers and different points in their life. Can I ask you how long you have been reading comics? I thought I saw you mention that you were somewhat young? I ask because I am curious if this is a change of a many years long reader or someone who is still somewhat "new" to comics. Not that there is anything wrong either way I am just curious.
    I have been reading for only about 2 years now. HOWEVER, I power read through a LOT of the key storylines in those. The only major storyline that I was wanting to read that I haven't read yet was Old Man Logan. But, the key word there was WAS wanting to read. Ever since my passion for superheroes died, I just finally lost interest. That may be too fast for some people, but I just grew so attached to companies like Image and Vertigo that I can't really go back to Marvel and DC. Call this my teenage hipster stage all you want, but I just have lost my passion for superheroes. (Sorry if that last statement sounded kind of rude. Wasn't meaning to be rude)

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    I have been reading for only about 2 years now. HOWEVER, I power read through a LOT of the key storylines in those. The only major storyline that I was wanting to read that I haven't read yet was Old Man Logan. But, the key word there was WAS wanting to read. Ever since my passion for superheroes died, I just finally lost interest. That may be too fast for some people, but I just grew so attached to companies like Image and Vertigo that I can't really go back to Marvel and DC. Call this my teenage hipster stage all you want, but I just have lost my passion for superheroes. (Sorry if that last statement sounded kind of rude. Wasn't meaning to be rude)
    Hey you dont sound rude to me and Im sorry if anything in my post made you feel I thought of you as hipster or something.
    I only ask because Im always curious when people start to have changing reading habits when it comes to comics. Im in my late 20s and I have been reading comics for about 20 years now and I wish I had begun branching out to image and vertigo a lot earlier then I did. I do think though that even in the superhero genre there are many different kinds then what you read in marvel and dc. Stuff like invincible, astro city, nobles cause and other books like that have a completely different feel then most from the big two and I just dont want people to avoid these because they have grown tired of stuff from Marvel and DC.

  11. #11
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    8,322

    Default

    I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  12. #12
    BANNED Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,120

    Default

    Hawkeye, too. Moon Knight by Ellis and Karnak looks interesting, as well. There's interesting work happening in all of comics. It's best to not close yourself off to any avenue so you don't miss cool things when they happen in places you might not expect.

  13. #13
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    Yeah, the Marvel books I've enjoyed the most in recent years are the ones like these; off in their own corner, doing their thing.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think if you only care about "the major" comics of the big two, then you'll always get this. But if you look at a lot of the fringe comics, they are brilliant and free of events and "jumping the shark". Gillen's Young Avengers, Superior Foes of Spiderman, She-Hulk; all recent comics, all stand on their own two feet without event derailment.
    I will admit that Gillen's Young Avengers was brilliant. However, I didn't like She-Hulk and Superior Foes of Spiderman at all. Just wasn't for me. Marvel and DC do have some great stuff. The problem is that they ignore the great stuff being released to make way for the crap they see as a cash cow.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    There's a wealth of comics in the world, and I like to see people spread their wings and try new things rather than complaining about the same old stuff. You can read hundreds of great comics a year, and there doesn't have to be a cape in them. Personally, I run hot and cold on superheroes, and while I'm kinda in a hotter phase right now, my three most anticipated upcoming books are Twilight Children by Beto Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke, Ruins by Peter Kuper, and Two Brothers by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •