Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like both Silk and Spider-Gwen. But (forgive me, Pav) the first is my favorite of the two. I find Stacey Lee's art on Silk just superb (it's what got me into the series) and the script Thompson is handling points to a long plan. Given his precious work, I suspect it will be a well-crafted one.

In contrast, I get the impression that Spider-Gwen is still kinda experimenting in the story department; however that may be part of its charm: as Pav (and other users here) point out, it is full of potential, its lack of barriers and possibility of reinventing astonishing. It just needs to use it and deliver a memorable story. Which could be coming, but I hardly know Jason Latour's work.

(Robbi Rodrigue's kinetic style is fun, alas, sometimes too overcrowded for my taste and I'm not too enamored with Rico Renzi's colors - both are still great artists, no disrespect. But I find Lee's lines and Ian Herring more pleasant. Serene-inducing even).

I'm with Highland Chicken and Venomous Mask in recommending you 2099, Venom and the recent Scarlet Spider. This last one specially as Kaine's adventures are both my favorites and were written by a name you may recognize from X-23's adventures: Chist Yost.

That said, by the virtue and nature of a supporting character there, the action sometimes intrudes into the territory of the supernatural - specially during two issues - but they don't stray too far into it, quickly bouncing back to the street-level and street-based solutions as Kaine is not really Stephen Strange - his world is of concrete, breaking stuff and stealing money from criminals. Even when given occasional supernatural strength.

The exceptions are the latter part of the arcs In the Midst of Wolves, the admittedly-not-so-good Minimum Carnage crossover (where it plays with the Microverse) and a small fight in the last issues that is mostly the after-effect of one of the most hilarious scenes I have encountered. All the other antagonists and fights are decidedly more "normal".

You can take a peek and see others people's opinions on it in the following thread. I include some short descriptions (and minor spoilers) if you are interested .

Scarlet blood drops on the stone - Kaine the Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird appreciation
    http://community.comicbookresources....9-appreciation

Just bought the new Amazing Spider-Man #1 and the number one issues of Silk and Spider-Gwen.
    Spider-Man was surprisingly good and will stick with it for now.
    Silk was pretty good too. Im thinking about getting the other issues.
    Im not so sure about Spider-Gwen though right now though. I found it to be the weakest read of these three.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Just bought the new Amazing Spider-Man #1 and the number one issues of Silk and Spider-Gwen.
    Spider-Man was surprisingly good and will stick with it for now.
    Silk was pretty good too. Im thinking about getting the other issues.
    Im not so sure about Spider-Gwen though right now though. I found it to be the weakest read of these three.
    As I wrote I found Spider-Gwen #1 to be the weakest issue of the 5 Spider-Gwen comics out thus far (with 4 and 5 to be fantastic and if I had to rate them in order it would be 1st place: #4, #5, #3, #2, and last place #1) plus I found Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 where the readers to a one-shot tale where we first meet and have a story within her world, brief history, and debut and establishing character to be a superior and more spiritual #1 for her over Spider-Gwen#1. Kind of hate that they gave Spider-Gwen #1 a true believers $1 issue over Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 as I don't feel Spider-Gwen#1 was the best issue to start with this character for many.
    I love Silk's current comics (and of the two I do feel she is the current stronger comic) and I enjoyed Spider-Gwen but feel she has alot more potential to show us something new in her new world (plus I love and fascinated by Matt Murderdock) and hand us something unexpected due to the alternate world and the experiment can either work very well and memorable or go wrong (that's going to be up to the story writers).

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    I like both Silk and Spider-Gwen. But (forgive me, Pav) the first is my favorite of the two. I find Stacey Lee's art on Silk just superb (it's what got me into the series) and the script Thompson is handling points to a long plan. Given his precious work, I suspect it will be a well-crafted one.

In contrast, I get the impression that Spider-Gwen is still kinda experimenting in the story department; however that may be part of its charm: as Pav (and other users here) point out, it is full of potential, its lack of barriers and possibility of reinventing astonishing. It just needs to use it and deliver a memorable story. Which could be coming, but I hardly know Jason Latour's work.

(Robbi Rodrigue's kinetic style is fun, alas, sometimes too overcrowded for my taste and I'm not too enamored with Rico Renzi's colors - both are still great artists, no disrespect. But I find Lee's lines and Ian Herring more pleasant. Serene-inducing even).

I'm with Highland Chicken and Venomous Mask in recommending you 2099, Venom and the recent Scarlet Spider. This last one specially as Kaine's adventures are both my favorites and were written by a name you may recognize from X-23's adventures: Chist Yost.

That said, by the virtue and nature of a supporting character there, the action sometimes intrudes into the territory of the supernatural - specially during two issues - but they don't stray too far into it, quickly bouncing back to the street-level and street-based solutions as Kaine is not really Stephen Strange - his world is of concrete, breaking stuff and stealing money from criminals. Even when given occasional supernatural strength.

The exceptions are the latter part of the arcs In the Midst of Wolves, the admittedly-not-so-good Minimum Carnage crossover (where it plays with the Microverse) and a small fight in the last issues that is mostly the after-effect of one of the most hilarious scenes I have encountered. All the other antagonists and fights are decidedly more "normal".

You can take a peek and see others people's opinions on it in the following thread. I include some short descriptions (and minor spoilers) if you are interested .

Scarlet blood drops on the stone - Kaine the Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird appreciation
    http://community.comicbookresources....9-appreciation
    You're forgiven! haha

But seriously, I think you're really spot-on with your description of Spider-Gwen in terms of its potential, its art, and so on. (Although I do like the colors in Spider-Gwen, just because they're so different than the normal comic book color schemes. That being said, they certainly aren't serene inducing. You wouldn't find Rico Renzi's colors on Bob Ross' palette.)

I also read the recent Scarlet Spider ongoing, and while I definitely liked it - especially the first six issues or so - I didn't love it. But I think the main factor is that I've been a fan of Kaine since his initial appearance, and so I have a lot of preconceived notions about what kind of character he is, what his stories should be like, and so on. For someone new to Spidey comics, that wouldn't be an issue though, and I can imagine those readers really loving Scarlet Spider - except for Minimum Carnage. (Yuck. What were they thinking?)

-Pav, who is still waiting for his Kaine/Morbius team-up...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Though I enjoyed Gwen it has been really slow burn for me. I will give the new volume one arc and if pacing doesn't improve along with more interesting supporting cast I will drop it. Silk and Spider Woman are my two favorite current spider titles. Cindy is an amazing character with a lot of depth and story possibilities. It is dark with some situational humor mixed in but definitely has an edge and I recommend it to anyone.

Spider Woman is great because they are taking chances with the character and moving her in new directions as she tries to leave the cosmic avengers life behind her and be a street level hero with a normal life. Again a book with edge and humor mixed in. With the new direction of the upcoming volume who knows where it's going but I am excited because it is fresh and not stagnate like they do to Peter

Amazing Member

Personally I think Silk is one of the best comics out there right now. Stacey Lee's artwork is amazing and there is always at least once or twice per issue that I laugh out loud even though the overall tone is pretty depressing and unforgiving. I defiantly think Spider-Gwen is a little overrated, I have friends that buy it religiously but won't give Silk a chance no matter how much I recommend it. I think it's a combination of the design and the popularity of Gwen in TASM movies.

Incredible Member

In the latest issue they may as well have dropped an anvil on the readers heads because being good is bad for business

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Though I enjoyed Gwen it has been really slow burn for me. I will give the new volume one arc and if pacing doesn't improve along with more interesting supporting cast I will drop it. Silk and Spider Woman are my two favorite current spider titles. Cindy is an amazing character with a lot of depth and story possibilities. It is dark with some situational humor mixed in but definitely has an edge and I recommend it to anyone.

Spider Woman is great because they are taking chances with the character and moving her in new directions as she tries to leave the cosmic avengers life behind her and be a street level hero with a normal life. Again a book with edge and humor mixed in. With the new direction of the upcoming volume who knows where it's going but I am excited because it is fresh and not stagnate like they do to Peter
    I wish that Marvel would pull Tigra out of the Avengers as well and make her a street level crime fighter as well. The same goes for Captain Marvel and The Black Widow...