Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Superman: American Alien

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/super...erican-alien-1

Looking forward to this. "Always remember Smallville."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

My most anticipated Superman book since Action Comics #1.

Here's a page by Nick Dragotta and an interview by Max Landis. http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=17017

Check out the full interview here (with more art!!!!) http://www.newsarama.com/26131-scree...can-alien.html

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I cannot wait for this!

Would much rather have Max Landis' DCU/Death of Superman reboot backstory than N52/DCYou whatever it is now.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I actually liked his Joker story. Of course I've always thought the Joker was overrated as a "bad ass" threat to begin with so maybe that had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I cannot wait for this!

Would much rather have Max Landis' DCU/Death of Superman reboot backstory than N52/DCYou whatever it is now.
    I wouldn't. I like Landis well enough, he has some fun ideas, but in regards to Superman he's more interested in recreating the character rather just interpreting him in a modern way. And that is fine for projects like this, but not a main continuity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Does anyone think there may be some parallels with the Mark Waid "reboot"of Superman?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Does anyone think there may be some parallels with the Mark Waid "reboot"of Superman?
    Some of this feels very "BiRTHRIGHT-ish doesn't it? He has mentioned it as a story he enjoyed, so perhaps there will be vague overlap or some nods.

I wouldn't mind if this ends up a spiritual sequel to that story, much in the way the the Superman Confidential KRYPTONITE arc was a spiritual sequel to FOR ALL SEASONS.Not directly connected per-say,but deal with common themes and the like.

I personally think Landis is a well....a skeevy dude...but this interests me greatly. , I feel uneasy about giving him money...so I'm conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I wouldn't. I like Landis well enough, he has some fun ideas, but in regards to Superman he's more interested in recreating the character rather just interpreting him in a modern way. And that is fine for projects like this, but not a main continuity.
    What has he said that makes you think he's more interested in recreating the character rather than working with him? From what I've read he just seems to want to come at it from an angle less traveled.

I'm genuinely asking.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Nothing I can think of. He was tasked with recreating at times (such as Superman) so that's what he pitched, pitches and writes. I don't see him as having any problem whatsoever with writing within the limitations and confines mandated by whomever whether it be comic or film - it's part of the job and he understands that. He's second generation Hollywood, so he understands quicker than an outsider coming in that he can't bite the hands that feed him and play the game correctly.

I can't recall which video, interview or article it was in the past, but his takes on Superman as far as Man of Steel and collateral damage, snapping Zod's neck, the tonality of the movie, Superman being written darker in comics incorrectly as a substitute for seriousness, disdain towards Superman being depowered in the past so that writers could write conflict into the story and overall take on Superman having really only two decisions his entire life - take over the world and everyone or just being a nice person; why wouldn't he just be a good person tells me this guy GETS Superman.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 10-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Perhaps I'm wrong here. It just seems like he too is going for a delinquent type atmosphere here with Superman, and its just not an angle I'd like to see adopted into canon. Its a little too far off to my liking. Maybe this will surprise me though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I've deleted posts. If you're going to make judgements of the authors personal life based on your interpretation of interviews then at least link the interview you're referring to so we can see the words for ourselves. Or better yet, don't get personal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Perhaps I'm wrong here. It just seems like he too is going for a delinquent type atmosphere here with Superman, and its just not an angle I'd like to see adopted into canon. Its a little too far off to my liking. Maybe this will surprise me though.
    "Delinquent"? Where did you get that impression from? Well then again I'm thinking you might have gotten it from cover of issue #2 where it's Clark's mugshot, but then when you read the discretion of the issue it paint another picture. "After Smallville experiences its first violent crime in years, teenager Clark Kent is pressured by his best friend Pete Ross to take matters into his own hands in the second issue of SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN!"

It seems like Clark will be apprehensive about using his powers to fix the issue, but Pete (who seems to know his secret like the sliver age) will pressure him to get involved. Things will go south very quick as a teenage Clark Kent, with the best intentions, makes things worse and maybe ends up in jail for the night. That doesn't sound like a delinquent to my ears.

Even based off his interviews (http://www.newsarama.com/26131-scree...can-alien.html) I really can't see it. He even describes Clark as "a nice guy in a mean world" and "but ultimately what I like about him as a character is that he was someone who was "born" in the U.S.A. and has grown up wanting to be the best kind of person."

The closest to a delinquent that I can see is in issue #3 where he'll be pretending to be young Bruce (a nice and often forgotten call back to the idea that they've always looked alike). But honestly that just sounds like great fun and the opportunity for some life experiences and lessons for the character

To be honest with you the Landis is becoming my most anticipated creator on Superman since Morrison himself. The guy knows his stuff and he seems to have a unique but not completely divergent take on the character. This may end up being an update in the truest sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I've deleted posts. If you're going to make judgements of the authors personal life based on your interpretation of interviews then at least link the interview you're referring to so we can see the words for ourselves. Or better yet, don't get personal at all.
    here is the interview
    http://jezebel.com/screenwriter-bro-...uck-1440597536

I won't get very personal, but it is clear he is not the person I would like to write superman.

also another guy writing superman because he is almost famous and talented. he did a cool movie and was that. comic book system is so broke

at least i like his notion that superman is clark kent, some points to him
    Last edited by Tayswift; 10-05-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    here is the interview
    http://jezebel.com/screenwriter-bro-...uck-1440597536

I won't get very personal, but it is clear he is not the person I would like to write superman.
    Luv a duck, why do people give interviews like that?

Or as Mark Twain put it: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, rather than open ones mouth and remove all cause for doubt".

It was the mugshot image that gave me the delinquent impression, yes. Again if the content proves me wrong, excellent.