Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would DEFINITELY buy a Jessica Cruz/Power Ring title if it was by Johns and Mahnke.

She's one of the few new characters of the past few years I actually find interesting. So, yeah - bring it.

Mighty Member

I like Jessica but I think I'd rather see her interact with other characters more over a solo book. I'd like her to get some more screen time in Justice League, or maybe show up in GL/GLC for an arc or two.

Incredible Member

I want a "Green Lantern & Power Ring" book.

Make it a buddy-cop story of Simon training Jessica. The two don't get along at first but eventually do, and maybe even fall for each other, not soon before Simon is killed off. Perhaps his ring picks Jessica, freeing her from the Power Ring.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 10-04-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Spectacular Member

She doesn't need her own title. She needs to be in a book that can give her a story...like a Green Lantern Corps book or spin off JLA book. The main JLA is not the book for her to be developed in.

BANNED

All I can do is say it again in different words.

Four Earth Lanterns were already pretty close to too many. Maybe four actually were too many. You could make a very good case for that. So why in the BLUE HELL do we need two more?

Just nip this in the bud before a cadre of diehards forms on the message boards who demand more camera time for these two, and will never, ever stop demanding it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-04-2015 at 08:40 PM.

I don' think the character is strong enough to carry a solo. Maybe in the future with greater focus and characterization, but to me that would be better served coming from JL first. Or as a co-star of a current GL book.

After Darkseid War though I'd really like a storyline focusing heavily on her and Barry. Platonic, romantic, whatever, I like the budding relationship there and would like to see them get a storyline.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don' think the character is strong enough to carry a solo. Maybe in the future with greater focus and characterization, but to me that would be better served coming from JL first. Or as a co-star of a current GL book.

After Darkseid War though I'd really like a storyline focusing heavily on her and Barry. Platonic, romantic, whatever, I like the budding relationship there and would like to see them get a storyline.
    Well, Barry is single now...

Incredible Member

I'd maybe give a short arc for Simon and Jessica in the main GL book, either alongside Hal's story or just take a break from Hal (he could still be in the JL/JLA books).

Eventually have Simon killed off and have Jessica search the galaxy for the missing Hal Jordan for whatever reason.

The four main characters moving forward imo should be Jessica & Hal in the GL book, and John & Guy in the GLCorps book. I think the GL books could use some fresh characters who've yet to be explored (Jessica, and sadly, John).
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 10-04-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

People complain about there being 4 main Earth Lanterns and there not being enough screen time for each but, really, that's all DC's doing. We could easily have a book that stars two, three or even all four Lanterns. They all have different personalities and ways of approaching a particular problem. It would be an interesting team book.

Instead, DC pits the Lantern fans off against one another by constantly favoring one over the others.

Power Ring would be a cool solo book but I don't think she has been built up to the point where she could sustain a solo. She really needs to be propped up by other mainstream heroes until she receives enough development and interest to call a book her own.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    People complain about there being 4 main Earth Lanterns and there not being enough screen time for each but, really, that's all DC's doing. We could easily have a book that stars two, three or even all four Lanterns. They all have different personalities and ways of approaching a particular problem. It would be an interesting team book.

Instead, DC pits the Lantern fans off against one another by constantly favoring one over the others.

Power Ring would be a cool solo book but I don't think she has been built up to the point where she could sustain a solo. She really needs to be propped up by other mainstream heroes until she receives enough development and interest to call a book her own.
    I think it's never even occurred to them to try out all four Lanterns as equals in their own comics. The mental block that keeps them from recognizing that possibility is their oft-repeated assertion that Hal, like Muhamamd Ali, is "the greatest."

Get rid of the "flagship title." Stop telling us that the other Earth Lanterns are just sideshows, thus limiting their popularity and sales, and put all four out there as equals, DC.

(Without Baz and Cruz. Do something else with them.)
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-05-2015 at 05:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I think it's never even occurred to them to try out all four Lanterns as equals in their own comics. The mental block that keeps them from recognizing that possibility is their oft-repeated assertion that Hal, like Muhamamd Ali, is "the greatest."

Get rid of the "flagship title." Stop telling us that the other Earth Lanterns are just sideshows, thus limiting their popularity and sales, and put all four out there as equals, DC.

(Without Baz and Cruz. Do something else with them.)
    Thats what they've done. Think about it, Kyle in new guardians, Guy in Red Lantern and John in GLC.
    Kyle is pretty much the lead in new guardians and John is the lead in GLC. For a long time there werent any flagship title because all the GL events grew out of a concept that spreaded evenly throughout 4 books, it wasn't that you'll definitely need to read Hal's book for the origination of the event.
    So for the longest time in new 52, there haven't been a flagship title, but its not DC's fault that Hal sells the best amongst all 4 lanterns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Thats what they've done. Think about it, Kyle in new guardians, Guy in Red Lantern and John in GLC.
    Kyle is pretty much the lead in new guardians and John is the lead in GLC. For a long time there werent any flagship title because all the GL events grew out of a concept that spreaded evenly throughout 4 books, it wasn't that you'll definitely need to read Hal's book for the origination of the event.
    So for the longest time in new 52, there haven't been a flagship title, but its not DC's fault that Hal sells the best amongst all 4 lanterns.
    But look -- they turned Guy and Kyle into something else, then created more Earth Lanterns!

How wacky was that?

I'm not saying Hal wouldn't come out on top if all four were depicted as equals. But give it a try. Stop hobbling the other three, and let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-05-2015 at 05:42 AM.

I don't think the problem really is the number of GL per se. DC just need to make sure each of them have their roles and purpose whithin the DCU.
    If it were up to me, I'd do the following:
    - Give Hal his ring back, return him to Earth and have most of his adventures happen on Earth and other parts of Sector 2814.
    - Have Hal train Jessica. She'd continue being Power Ring (it's what sets her apart from the rest after all) and would be a recurring character in Hal's book.
    - Have Simon lose the ring and join Argus as part of Steve Trevor's field team.
    - Have Kyle in a sort of "Green Lantern ambassador" role. This way he could continue interacting with the Omega Men or the other corps and would still be an important Green Lantern.
    - Have John and Guy as the human leads of a relaunched Green Lantern Corps book.

There you go. 4 GLs, a place for a Jessica and a new role for Simon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think the problem really is the number of GL per se. DC just need to make sure each of them have their roles and purpose whithin the DCU.
    If it were up to me, I'd do the following:
    - Give Hal his ring back, return him to Earth and have most of his adventures happen on Earth and other parts of Sector 2814.
    - Have Hal train Jessica. She'd continue being Power Ring (it's what sets her apart from the rest after all) and would be a recurring character in Hal's book.
    - Have Simon lose the ring and join Argus as part of Steve Trevor's field team.
    - Have Kyle in a sort of "Green Lantern ambassador" role. This way he could continue interacting with the Omega Men or the other corps and would still be an important Green Lantern.
    - Have John and Guy as the human leads of a relaunched Green Lantern Corps book.

There you go. 4 GLs, a place for a Jessica and a new role for Simon.
    Those are not bad ideas, but they ignore the question of, WHY DO WE NEED MORE EARTH LANTERNS?

The answer is that we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm not sure if she could carry a solo title, but i'm starting to get interested in her character. Two things i'd change;
    1) i'd lose the paranoid conspiracy angle,
    2) i'd tone down the evil power ring angle. I'd maybe have volthoom as a physical being, more like johnny thunder's thunderbolt .
    So remove what makes her Power ring to just turn her in another generic Green Lantern nobody wants.