Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb For SM/WW fans - writer / illustrator question

Charles Soule and Tony Daniel did a good job on the first run of SM/WW

Within the constraints imposed by the stories running in the main arc "Doomed" , "Truth" I would say Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke are doing a reasonably good job as well

Who would you like to see on the series at the helm and what are your hopes for the direction of this book?

Soule and Daniel already said they wouldn't mind coming back, i would really be happy with that. Tomasi and Mahnke's first arc seemed rushed but yeah I agree, even though I'm not too thrilled about the truth storyline over all, they have progressed.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Yanick Paquette's art for the annual. I would like to see Ivan Reis, Jason Fabok, Jack Herbert, and Kenneth Rocafort. As for writing, not quite sure. It would be interesting to have a female writer.

As for the direction, I would want to see them on big scale adventures, no unnecessary doom and gloom relationship straining and testing. Lol I believe we've had enough if that.

I desperately want to see the two go on a longterm space soujourn together, planet hopping and the like and getting into new standalone adventures every month.

As for writing, I'm very interested to see how a female would write the couple, maybe someone like Valentine.

For art, my dream would be the Dodsons doing interiors.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Thank you for the replies -

I am not exactly sure about the sources but I have heard it mention that at least Meredith Finch is not too keen on the book. I know Gail Simone has her share of followers and I am curious at to how she would handle the story. Also I would agree that just like JL and JLA are running in "parallel" but without a definite connection to the other super books - Superman having his powers and Bruce being Batman - I would like for SM/WW to have a stand alone point of view and not be tied down to the Superman story arcs.

I think it was last month or so that a couple of the reviews had pegged it as the best written of all the Superman titles in "Truth" but I guess that is another post

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Thank you for the replies -

I am not exactly sure about the sources but I have heard it mention that at least Meredith Finch is not too keen on the book. I know Gail Simone has her share of followers and I am curious at to how she would handle the story. Also I would agree that just like JL and JLA are running in "parallel" but without a definite connection to the other super books - Superman having his powers and Bruce being Batman - I would like for SM/WW to have a stand alone point of view and not be tied down to the Superman story arcs.

I think it was last month or so that a couple of the reviews had pegged it as the best written of all the Superman titles in "Truth" but I guess that is another post
    No offense to Ms Simone but her WW run was so so...some good , some kinda mediocre and she's pro Lois judging by her social media opinions and really think she's better as a street level writer than with meta heroes.

I agree it would be nice to see the SM/WW have its own flavor as well. We can get grounded human stories touching on social issues balanced with the sci-fi/ mythical/magical...getting DC to go big and like Sacred said an off world jaunt would be awesome. I'd love to see some time travelling. I'd love to see Superman interact with Diana's mythology too.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    No offense to Ms Simone but her WW run was so so...some good , some kinda mediocre and she's pro Lois judging by her social media opinions and really think she's better as a street level writer than with meta heroes.

I agree it would be nice to see the SM/WW have its own flavor as well. We can get grounded human stories touching on social issues balanced with the sci-fi/ mythical/magical...getting DC to go big and like Sacred said an off world jaunt would be awesome. I'd love to see some time travelling. I'd love to see Superman interact with Diana's mythology too.
    For time travelling I think it'd be fun for the two of them to have an adventure with the Legion in the future. A lot of Diana's rogue's gallery are immortal, so you could use one of them as the foil.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I desperately want to see the two go on a longterm space soujourn together, planet hopping and the like and getting into new standalone adventures every month.
    That or as I said in another post - solve crimes of international intrigue - on a theme of "Private Life of Clark Kent" from COIE using their powers off panel or at a minimum - using the Clark Kent (or whatever he decides to adopt identity) and the Diana Prince persona -

Probably wouldn't want to see Finch on it anyway considering how the main Wonder Woman title is. Simone's work is hit or miss for me, and with her not being a fan of the two together in the first place would make me wonder how much her heart would be in it. And I always found her Wonder Woman rather boring anyway.

As for "Truth", for me Action is the best written, hands down. SM/WW would be second, but it doesn't touch the quality of Action, imo. Speaking of, Pak is another writer I wouldn't at all mind see on the book. In fact I think he'd be better suited here than on Batman/Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-05-2015 at 12:26 AM.

Any thoughts about the two "overseas" guys - Grant Morrison or Sir Alan Moore (if he would come back)?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    Soule and Daniel already said they wouldn't mind coming back, i would really be happy with that. Tomasi and Mahnke's first arc seemed rushed but yeah I agree, even though I'm not too thrilled about the truth storyline over all, they have progressed.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Yanick Paquette's art for the annual. I would like to see Ivan Reis, Jason Fabok, Jack Herbert, and Kenneth Rocafort. As for writing, not quite sure. It would be interesting to have a female writer.

As for the direction, I would want to see them on big scale adventures, no unnecessary doom and gloom relationship straining and testing. Lol I believe we've had enough if that.
    I like the artists you mentioned. I am not bothered about gender of the writer as long as they buy into the concept of the couple and write interesting stories. I am thinking now Geoff is writing Diana better be interesting to see how he's tackle them since he sort of started it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Charles Soule and Tony Daniel did a good job on the first run of SM/WW

Within the constraints imposed by the stories running in the main arc "Doomed" , "Truth" I would say Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke are doing a reasonably good job as well

Who would you like to see on the series at the helm and what are your hopes for the direction of this book?
    I'd prefer both the artwork and writing of Soule &Daniel over Tomasi & Mahnke.

But overall I dislike the SM/WW title constantly getting sidetracked by crossover events and that seems to be an issue unrelated to which team is in charge.