Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

She is never hit by anything comparable to Iron Man or the like, so she doesn't have the feats for it. I would say she doesn't have the strength feats to actually hurt Thor. She might be able to brain suck him though, as although it took considerable time, everyone seemed helpless to do anything while it was happening. I would say if the brain suck incapacitates him while it is happening, win for Glory, otherwise easy win for Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Glory in the show is pretty much completely impervious to any and all harm. She fell down from a couple of miles high and wasn't hurt in the slightest.

One exception: magic. Willow can hurt her, and Buffy's magic hammer can hurt her. But even then neither of those could put her down. She lost because she transformed into Ben.
    The hammer is irrelevant because she was vastly reduced in power by the time that happened.

She is never hit by anything comparable to Iron Man or the like, so she doesn't have the feats for it. I would say she doesn't have the strength feats to actually hurt Thor. She might be able to brain suck him though, as although it took considerable time, everyone seemed helpless to do anything while it was happening. I would say if the brain suck incapacitates him while it is happening, win for Glory, otherwise easy win for Thor.
    The brain drain could work. I mean, we have no evidence that Thor has resistance to such an attack. But it's not something she can do in a fight against an opponent who is any match for her. She can manhandle a normal human and do it. I don't think she can hold Thor still and do it.

As you said, the problem is that, considering the opponents she is up against, she just doesn't display high enough feats. She hits the ground at terminal velocity and it does absolutely nothing to her. She gets hit by a truck at highway speed and it does zero. But I'm sure it doesn't stand up to the kinds of hits the Hulk and Thor were dishing out.

Her best strength feat is stomping her foot and cracking the floor of a building and, I think, bringing it down. But, again, that doesn't equate to the kind of hits Thor takes.

If and I say IF she is fast enough to brain drain him before he can stop her, maybe. That's very iffy because the one thing that buckled her knees and made her scream in pain (when she was at full power) was Willow's magic lightning attack deal. That was literally the only thing that actually had any effect when she was at full power. So I'm not liking her chances of getting through Thor's lightning and ever getting into hand to hand.

The main reason, maybe only, that Willow didn't beat her is because Willow could not sustain the attack. One all-out blast and Willow had nothing left, out of energy, barely able to stand. That's how much output it took to hurt Glory. I don't think Thor has any worries about running out of power. He'll just maintain the attack until she drops and his attack may well be more powerful to begin with.

Now Glory vs. Thor, pure hth, might be closer because she has greater speed to his greater strength and durability by feats.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 10-05-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The brain drain could work. I mean, we have no evidence that Thor has resistance to such an attack. But it's not something she can do in a fight against an opponent who is any match for her. She can manhandle a normal human and do it. I don't think she can hold Thor still and do it.
    Scarlet Witch hits him with a quick mind-whammy, he fares slightly better than Cap, Black Widow, Iron Man, and the Hulk.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    I don't know, the way she can punch Buffy across the room with no effort and cause damage to a concrete wall upon impact, that might be similar level to Thor.

I would add that she had already been severally weakened by that substance that was her kryptonite, by the minds she had absorbed being ripped away from her and by rapid changes back and forth to and from Ben as her moment of transcendence or whatever approached. Even after all that, she survived the wrecking ball though it severally hurt her. But, in my opinion, nothing from that final fight is relevant because it was made abundantly clear she was working on a vastly reduced level of power.

When Glory was introduced and I saw how powerful she was, the first thing I thought was, "I wonder how they're going to weaken her by the finale so Buffy can beat her?"
    That's a good point, I forgot about her being weakened by the dagonsphere and Willow's anti-mind sucky spell … magic in that show is weird lol.

It's hard to do other feats because mostly just mocks people and shrugs off attempts at damage like it's nothing.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

You could see the whole city waaaay below her so, at the very least, it's believable she could have reached terminal velocity which I think is what the writer was trying to imply, regardless of whether it works that way.
    Terminal velocity doesn't light people on fire. At all. 'Air friction' doesn't produce enough heat to do that, even were terminal velocity a lot, lot faster. It has to do with things orbiting at ridiculous speed (like, 30 000 miles per hour or more) and accelerating into the atmosphere in order to break orbit. The air in front of them can get out of the way fast enough, compresses, and THAT creates the heat.

People jumping HALO don't ignite, because:

1. They're not nearly going that fast;
    2. They're not going to reach that speed falling - as the atmosphere thickens, terminal velocity starts to approach its 'close to surface' speed, which is a whopping 120 miles per hour.

This isn't 'character capacities are weird in comics/fiction'. Nor is this 'some things like black holes are weird in comics/fiction'. This is 'the writer hasn't the faintest clue about what they're speaking, so perhaps a better idea would be to toss this idea of her falling so fast she ignites'. :)
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-05-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I don't know, the way she can punch Buffy across the room with no effort and cause damage to a concrete wall upon impact, that might be similar level to Thor.

I probably rate the Buffyverse feats higher than nearly anyone else on the board, but what Glory did to Buffy pales in comparison to the kind of shots Thor and Hulk have dished out. Thor getting absolutely blindsided by the Hulk got knocked down but suffered no injuries. If Buffy was hit by the Hulk she would probably end up like pre-abomination, super soldier Emil Blonsky, with every bone in her body pulverized.

I always interpreted that scene to mean she was falling from orbital height. That was my first thought. Although it was phrased more like, "holy crap, Willow teleported her into space!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    How...high was Glory?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I always interpreted that scene to mean she was falling from orbital height. That was my first thought. Although it was phrased more like, "holy crap, Willow teleported her into space!"
    That ain't space m'boy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    That ain't space m'boy.
    No but it's high enough to justify terminal velocity. Just dump the fire part.

It's absolutely high enough to reach terminal velocity.

That's 120 mph.

It's well-beyond human durability, but not exactly awesome in the scheme of 'withstanding punches from a guy who crushes giant space whales' way. ^_^ And probably not her best durability feat.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Glory will probably win the evening dress competition, but Thor may put up a surprisingly good fight.

He's no Sentry, but for sure he has better hair.
    Why are we here?

It's absolutely high enough to reach terminal velocity.

That's 120 mph.

It's well-beyond human durability, but not exactly awesome in the scheme of 'withstanding punches from a guy who crushes giant space whales' way. ^_^ And probably not her best durability feat.
    It's not. For some strange reason, I kept thinking 240 mph was terminal velocity or twice what it really is.

Still, I would say the feat of getting hit by a truck on the freeway was a better durability feat. Probably 70 mph plus at least a couple of tons and it didn't even phase her. Buffy couldn't understand why Glory wasn't right back and pounding on her within a couple of seconds. But she had changed to Ben after the impact, a completely unharmed Ben.

I'm granting Thor wins here.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the irony here, that the same guy, Joss Whedon, is responsible for both feats, Glory's fall and Thor's. I don't know if he wrote them both but as head writer/ executive producer of "Buffy" and co-writer/ director of "Avengers", he made the creative decisions to have the scenes. Interestingly, the intent of the two scenes were opposites. The intent of the falling scene with Glory was to make it clear to the audience how invincible she was. With Thor, the intent seems to have been to show he's not some invincible character that cannot be hurt.

Still, I would say the feat of getting hit by a truck on the freeway was a better durability feat. Probably 70 mph plus at least a couple of tons and it didn't even phase her. Buffy couldn't understand why Glory wasn't right back and pounding on her within a couple of seconds. But she had changed to Ben after the impact, a completely unharmed Ben.
    Did it SHOW her being fine after the truck hit her, before changing into Ben? Colour me curious.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the irony here, that the same guy, Joss Whedon, is responsible for both feats, Glory's fall and Thor's.
    I shall quote myself.

Which sounds like amazing garbage given the stuff Thor has withstood. Similarly the Hulk (even in the theatre I was shaking my head). They take all of that, then falling in some chamber is going to kill them?

...interestingly enough, same writer as I recall.
    Emphasis mine.

...well, emphasis mine now.
    Why are we here?