Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    Nope. Hetero male sexuality is gross, dontchaknow? Society must do everything in its power to suppress the male gaze.
    And lower the number of sales while they're at it. Consider that the majority of readers are heterosexual males.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    Nope. Hetero male sexuality is gross, dontchaknow? Society must do everything in its power to suppress the male gaze.
    well, tbh, the male gaze is kind of gross... and very much outdated...
    Last edited by solletaire; 10-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I hope Vampirella's original costume is referenced and shown in her new ongoing coming out next year. If it's ignored completely for her new look and no one mentions the change, it'll really feel like a completely new character altogether.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Will be getting Vamp & Red. Don't mind the whole "less skin" thing it might help boost sales since the whole CHAOS thing bomb big time.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I hope Vampirella's original costume is referenced and shown in her new ongoing coming out next year. If it's ignored completely for her new look and no one mentions the change, it'll really feel like a completely new character altogether.
    I get the feeling it will be only in variant covers

BANNED

I've gotten tired of female characters wearing very little & with they're cleavage hanging out.

TBH, my biggest problem with the Vampirella costume is that it looks strikingly similar to Claire Redfield's outfit in Resident Evil 2. The new design isn't even original, it's just a ripoff of something that came before. This is yet another problem of these revisionings, the new outfits inevitably rip off another property, like the new creators don't have an original bone in their bodies.

It just looks generic. So does Red Sonja's new design for that matter, and her storyline looks like a thinly veiled commentary on the immigration debate going on in the USA right now (and I don't think we need even one guess to figure out how it's gonna go).

The problem for going in such a direction is that you're turning off a substantial portion of your potential audience. If you agree with the creators, you're not going to have a problem with it, but if you disagree, you're not going to buy it, and that could hurt the comic's chances at sticking.
    Last edited by macattack; 10-05-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Well in the premise of the new series it mentions Tristan and her driver, they were both from the last series. So while this one will be a jumping on point big time, in my opinion. I feel like it's a bit tied to the last one, so I could see them mentioning the change into the new costume, and I bet it has something to do with her new job/life in Hollywood.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Getting Nicola Scott to design anything is the first step towards greatness. DC should have had her do the NEW 52 redesigns.
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    TBH, my biggest problem with the Vampirella costume is that it looks strikingly similar to Claire Redfield's outfit in Resident Evil 2. The new design isn't even original, it's just a ripoff of something that came before. This is yet another problem of these revisionings, the new outfits inevitably rip off another property, like the new creators don't have an original bone in their bodies.
    I like Nicola Scott's work, but to me Vampirella is borrowing Wonder Woman's look from the mid-1990s. (It was lame then, too.)

I think the goal is to get more female readers into these books, which seems to be the demographic showing the most growth in comics these days. But if that doesn't work and sales start to go south, then the more iconic looks will eventually return with some fanfare.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I think the goal is to get more female readers into these books, which seems to be the demographic showing the most growth in comics these days. But if that doesn't work and sales start to go south, then the more iconic looks will eventually return with some fanfare.
    Most reasonable comment I've seen. Dynamite experimented with this on Red Sonja and it paid off big time. I'm not bothered by the new outfits being less revealing, I just wish Dejah's weren't so ugly. There has to be a middle ground between nipple clamps and whatever that mess is.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

John stewart sucks DevilsGambit's Avatar

Political Correctness shitting all over things I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by londeaux View Post
    And lower the number of sales while they're at it. Consider that the majority of readers are heterosexual males.
    Thing is, do cheescake comics even sell in this day and age? Tout "political correctness" gone mad all you want but if the sales arnt there then its understandable Dynamite (or any publisher) will try a change of direction.
    Cheescake sells prints but i struggle to think of one title thats a best seller right now. Meanwhile theres a good handful of books that many mare as "pandering to SJWs" that have found an audience and are doing well. Cant blame Dynamite for wanting a piece of that pie. The market wants what it wants.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Thing is, do cheescake comics even sell in this day and age? Tout "political correctness" gone mad all you want but if the sales arnt there then its understandable Dynamite (or any publisher) will try a change of direction.
    Cheescake sells prints but i struggle to think of one title thats a best seller right now. Meanwhile theres a good handful of books that many mare as "pandering to SJWs" that have found an audience and are doing well. Cant blame Dynamite for wanting a piece of that pie. The market wants what it wants.
    Yes, that's fair. Cheesecake alone certainly doesn't sell a comic. And I suspect altering these characters will work briefly for a bump like most any gimmick. It just doesn't feel right to me for these particular characters. I realize comics are desperate for audience these days. And perhaps I'm wrong, but this costume doesn't work for this Dejah Thoris fan. The question is will I come back after the experiment ends or be permanently lost. I don't know the answer. But I think I may be getting close to ditching comics entirely.

I never get the reasoning behind ditching comics if you dislike a books direction.
    I mean, maybe we get different things out of the medium but for me it would be like swearing off movies because i hated Twilight.
    Or ditching books because i hated...Twilight.

And not to start slinging insults or anything as its not my intent to offend but id have to wonder that if somebodys love of a character is based solely on their visual then maybe you just wernt that big a fan of the character in the first place.
    Now dont get me wrong, i aint saying that Vampirellas some incredibly deep and complex character (not that she potentially couldnt be) but the narrative driving force behind the character and her world lies in her backstory, supporting cast and throwing down with monsters. All thats still gonna exist regardless of what shes wearing presumably.
    I understand that visuals are still a big part of the character and their appeal but if say, the degree to which you can see Dejah Thoris' breasts is what makes you pick up or drop a book over whats actually being done with her character then I just question why youd even bother to pick up a Dejah Thoris title in the first place over, *ahem...other material.