Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I think Vampirella's new look would be better without the black spanx and undersuit.

Dejah Thoris is good except for the shorts. They see very ordinary compared to the rest of the design.

I am sure these will be good, given the creative teams. I didn't mind the previous costumes, and I don't mind the new ones.

My only concern here is whether we're losing the main John Carter series. (Which could use more beefcake, actually...)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I never get the reasoning behind ditching comics if you dislike a books direction.
    To do otherwise would amount to being disingenuous to myself, which I actually find a worse infraction than being that to other people.
    I remember a Gail Simone that used to champion Ed Benes art. I miss that gal.

mcappy

This is a complete insult to long time Vampi fans. She has survived since 1969 in that "skimpy" outfit. Vampirella was always more of an adult themed character that was sexy, dark, and campy. This redesign is awful and just looks like every other PC female character running around comics now. She does not stand out at all. Forrest J Ackerman and Jose Gonzalez would be insulted if they were alive to see this abomination of their character. Dynamite should just have created another version much like Harris comics did when they made Vampi. Have a classic version of the Vampirella comic, and do another version like they are coming out with now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    To do otherwise would amount to being disingenuous to myself, which I actually find a worse infraction than being that to other people.
    I remember a Gail Simone that used to champion Ed Benes art. I miss that gal.
    No, i mean comics altogether as a medium. Not individual series.
    Like, "heh did you check out Mad Max Fury Road?"
    "No i because i hated what Michael Bay did with Transformers"
    ?????

I wish people would stop using the phrase pc or pandering when a characters costume gets changed or stuff like that. Get over it not everything is to appeal to you. Simply say this is not for me and move on. Stop with the "their pandering to these sjw. They hate male sexuality". A costume change isnt attacking your sexuality. To me the world is pretty messed up when a female character not wearing next to nothing is attacking your sexuality. Also I have a solution to this make your own comic and put as many nearly naked girls as you want. There problem solved
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Well in the premise of the new series it mentions Tristan and her driver, they were both from the last series. So while this one will be a jumping on point big time, in my opinion. I feel like it's a bit tied to the last one, so I could see them mentioning the change into the new costume, and I bet it has something to do with her new job/life in Hollywood.
    Since she's working in Hollywood now, I'm really hoping the first issue features several posters in rooms where Vampirella is, and all the posters are classic comic book covers featuring her in the original costume.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

So while I'm familiar with some of these characters, I haven't read any runs. Is there anything involving Vampi, Dejah or Red Sonja fans would recommend?

Gail Simones Red Sonja and Nancy Collins Vampirella are the most recent runs which i imagine will have the most relevence to this new stuff. Both were pretty good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I wish people would stop using the phrase pc or pandering when a characters costume gets changed or stuff like that. Get over it not everything is to appeal to you. Simply say this is not for me and move on. Stop with the "their pandering to these sjw. They hate male sexuality". A costume change isnt attacking your sexuality. To me the world is pretty messed up when a female character not wearing next to nothing is attacking your sexuality. Also I have a solution to this make your own comic and put as many nearly naked girls as you want. There problem solved
    So what you're essentially saying is "Stop holding a mirror up to our ideology. It's uncomfortable." Some people have a different opinion than you. I would hate for you to lose your voice even if it is a differing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Gail Simones Red Sonja and Nancy Collins Vampirella are the most recent runs which i imagine will have the most relevence to this new stuff. Both were pretty good.
    Thanks. I'll give those a look.

All-New Member

I'm not familiar enough with Vampirella to say if changing the costume is a big deal. However in the case of Dejah Thoris and Red Sonja the costume change seems to be done only to cover up skin. Which in and of itself may be fine. But in those instances it takes away from the authenticity of the characters and the world they live in. Does it make sense for those characters to occasionally wear more? Yes, when they are in climates that warrant it or they are disguised. However by and large they should be barely clothed. The same of course would hold true for male characters like John Carter, Conan, He-Man, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    So what you're essentially saying is "Stop holding a mirror up to our ideology. It's uncomfortable." Some people have a different opinion than you. I would hate for you to lose your voice even if it is a differing one.
    I'm saying it would be nice to just be able to enjoy the announcement with comments like "attack on male sexuality and male gaze or the constant "pc gone mad". No ones taking any voices away. People said there piece and I said mine.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I'm saying it would be nice to just be able to enjoy the announcement with comments like "attack on male sexuality and male gaze or the constant "pc gone mad". No ones taking any voices away. People said there piece and I said mine.
    So they take traditionally sexy characters that appeal to guys and cover them all the way up. And you didn't expect any of those arguments?

They are really not "covered all the way up".
    And its certainly not an attack on male sexuality.