Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    They are really not "covered all the way up".
    And its certainly not an attack on male sexuality.
    It is if your concept of male sexuality revolves around the idea that the purpose of women is to give you boners.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    It is if your concept of male sexuality revolves around the idea that the purpose of women is to give you boners.
    So male sexuality is about long walks and good conversation?

SMH. I weep for modern masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    So they take traditionally sexy characters that appeal to guys and cover them all the way up. And you didn't expect any of those arguments?
    Why do almost all female characters have to be sexy? Why can't they just be characters? Why do you need girls to be half naked to appeal to guys? If I was a guy I'd be insulted that they needed to use cheap tactics like nearly naked characters to appeal to me.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

So male sexuality is about long walks and good conversation?

SMH. I weep for modern masculinity.
    What does that have to do with male sexuality? Good conversation is awesome dude. I weep for modern masculinity too. Guys not crying because it makes them look weak. Guys afraid to be seen as gay or feminine in the slightest. Guys not being themselves because have to appeal to a toxic standard it's a shame
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Why do almost all female characters have to be sexy? Why can't they just be characters? Why do you need girls to be half naked to appeal to guys? If I was a guy I'd be insulted that they needed to use cheap tactics like nearly naked characters to appeal to me.
    They don't all have to be sexy, but can at least a few of them be sexy?

They're covering up characters that were created with sexiness as a significant part.

Hell its only Zenescope left....

and pretty soon they'll be putting theyre characters in Burqa's to get that almighty female dollar

What does that have to do with male sexuality? Good conversation is awesome dude. I weep for modern masculinity too. Guys not crying because it makes them look weak. Guys afraid to be seen as gay or feminine in the slightest. Guys not being themselves because have to appeal to a toxic standard it's a shame
    What about guy's not being themselves so they can appear progressive and with it?

If I dont cry and like boobs can I exist?

They don't all have to be sexy, but can at least a few of them be sexy?

They're covering up characters that were created with sexiness as a significant part.

Hell its only Zenescope left....

and pretty soon they'll be putting theyre characters in Burqa's to get that almighty female dollar
    After reading the first part was I was ready to agree you but then I read the rest. So why do up until recently and still not almost all female characters have at least some cleavage shown?

So wearing slightly more cloths equals Burqua's?

What about guy's not being themselves so they can appear progressive and with it?

Why don't you cry everyone crys? I like boobs and sex a lot. I just don't like when almost every female characters wears either lingerie or a bathing suit and twists in the most redicules poses.

After reading the first part was I was ready to agree you but then I read the rest. So why do up until recently and still not almost all female characters have at least some cleavage shown?

So wearing slightly more cloths equals Burqua's?
    Same reason women wear cleavage out and form fitting clothes in the office. Alot of Women like to be sexy. Especially when they take care of their body

Im a straight guy and i love boobs. But i dont go picking up a book about a swashbuckling barbarian or a vampiric monster hunter for the sole reason of being sexual titilated. These titles might contain sexual elements sure, like say Sonja throwing an orgy at one point in Simones run. But the skimpy outfits or constant fanservice posing of cheescake often doesnt fit the context of the narratives of these books.

Same reason women wear cleavage out and form fitting clothes in the office. Alot of Women like to be sexy. Especially when they take care of their body
    Are they concerned with it when in the midst of battle with a raging monster? Pretty sure armour would be more handy in that instance?

but real life women make real life decisions. They want to be sexy for themselves not for you. Not to mention the dont constantly twist in backbreaking poses. They dont also were chain binikis in a real fight. an office is not a battlefield.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

I never get the reasoning behind ditching comics if you dislike a books direction.
    I mean, maybe we get different things out of the medium but for me it would be like swearing off movies because i hated Twilight.
    Or ditching books because i hated...Twilight.

And not to start slinging insults or anything as its not my intent to offend but id have to wonder that if somebodys love of a character is based solely on their visual then maybe you just wernt that big a fan of the character in the first place.
    Now dont get me wrong, i aint saying that Vampirellas some incredibly deep and complex character (not that she potentially couldnt be) but the narrative driving force behind the character and her world lies in her backstory, supporting cast and throwing down with monsters. All thats still gonna exist regardless of what shes wearing presumably.
    I understand that visuals are still a big part of the character and their appeal but if say, the degree to which you can see Dejah Thoris' breasts is what makes you pick up or drop a book over whats actually being done with her character then I just question why youd even bother to pick up a Dejah Thoris title in the first place over, *ahem...other material.
    Yes, I guess that's fair on some levels. Let me try to explain my comment. I may meander.

To answer your question comics have always been escapist fantasy for me. That's what I want. Deep complex inner struggles of characters are not what I want in a comic. There's nothing wrong with a good story or character development per se. It's a plus if it doesn't get in the way of what I read for, visually dramatic frivolously fun pulp-style adventure. By which I don't mean children's books. Because I'm up for some im"mature" naughty thematic material done for fun. I like some Danger Girl comics or Sally of the Wasteland for instance. I have enjoyed some of the Dynamite efforts to deliver at least a hint of that. I rather liked the Dejah and the White Apes mini. But the comics world in general as it ages seems less and less interested in delivering adventure and more about other stuff. So something like Saga can be downright crude visually at times because people see it as something else, "deep" I suppose.

This particular costume business is just a symptom of that trend. In other words too many comics are generally just not "fun" anymore. Everybody takes this stuff way too seriously. Not that there's anything wrong with some of that. But it feels like there's no room for fun anymore, or if there it is it has to be expressly for children. I miss the sensibilities of something like the old black and white Savage Sword of Conan magazines or such. Anyway, I speak only for myself obviously.

Now back to my own super heroine in peril role play and occasional self-produced comic.

Im a straight guy and i love boobs. But i dont go picking up a book about a swashbuckling barbarian or a vampiric monster hunter for the sole reason of being sexual titilated. These titles might contain sexual elements sure, like say Sonja throwing an orgy at one point in Simones run. But the skimpy outfits or constant fanservice posing of cheescake often doesnt fit the context of the narratives of these books.
    Well now you CANT pick up that book even if you were in to that. Should cheescake books just not exist?

Spectacular Member

Who would there be to shame if you didn't?!