Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    Either his personal take on Superman is illuminating, or he's just f-ing around.
    What's wrong with the latter? Frank's done his time, and not just incredible works, but works that changed the entire landscape of comics, ripples still spilling out today from the rocks he dropped in the water back in the '80s. If he wants to spend the rest of his life "fucking around" I don't see anything wrong with that.

Don't buy it fi you don't like what he's doing, but don't pretend he has any responsibility to live up to any expectations an audience wants to place on him and his work.

BANNED

I wouldn't buy it. It looks like the work of a bitter, petty man; angry that he is employed in an industry that hooked kids in with sexualised images. I make comics (that I won't bother sharing here) and none are even remotely as depressing as this cover.
    Tastes are tastes. Let`s all understand that there is a market for alot of those tastes and leave it at that. Because, quite frankly, you have to.

Sorry you think he's brilliant.
    Don`t be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    What's wrong with the latter? Frank's done his time, and not just incredible works, but works that changed the entire landscape of comics, ripples still spilling out today from the rocks he dropped in the water back in the '80s. If he wants to spend the rest of his life "fucking around" I don't see anything wrong with that.

Don't buy it fi you don't like what he's doing, but don't pretend he has any responsibility to live up to any expectations an audience wants to place on him and his work.
    Well said. Additionally, the pearl-clutching outrage of superhero comic fans is a hilarious bonus. Miller's work reminds me of parts of the Woody Allen story of the Earl of Sandwich, who of course invented the sandwich:

1741: Living in the country on a small inheritance, he works day
    and night, often skimping on meals to save money for food. His first
    completed work—a slice of bread, a slice of bread on top of that, and a
    slice of turkey on top of both—fails miserably. Bitterly disappointed,
    he returns to his studio and begins again.
    1760: He follows one success with another, creating "sandwiches,"
    as they are called in his honor, out of roast beef, chicken, tongue, and
    nearly every conceivable cold cut. Not content to repeat tried
    formulas, he seeks out new ideas and devises the combination
    sandwich, for which he receives the Order of the Garter.
    1778: Though aging physically he still strives for new forms and
    writes in his diary, "I work long into the cold nights and am toasting
    everything now in an effort to keep warm." Later that year, his open
    hot roast-beef sandwich creates a scandal with its frankness.
    1790: At a retrospective exhibition of his works in London, he is
    suddenly taken ill with chest pains and is thought to be dying, but
    recovers sufficiently to supervise the construction of a hero sandwich
    by a group of talented followers. Its unveiling in Italy causes a riot,
    and it remains misunderstood by all but a few critics.

Mighty Member

Idk, Imo The Superman one wouldn't look out of place in TDKIISA, which perhaps isn't that much of a comfort for most. But I found it funny (which I think it was supposed to be.)

Hope the new TDKIIITMR wrap around variant cover is better received. Has a more TDK-ish look to it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...riant-revealed
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-07-2015 at 10:55 AM.

I don't think the coloring fits Miller's style, but that's just me.

I don't think the coloring fits Miller's style, but that's just me.
    I agree, colours make it look, not sure if right word, tamer?

Spectacular Member

I appreciate Miller's hyper-stylized art, but the proportions on this seem off, especially with the left foot and arm.

I have always liked Miller, but I agree with the other commenters who say he seems off his game.

Shall we get into the list of amazing artists who stopped following proper anatomical proportions in favor of much more interesting work?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quick question. Is The Master Race a sequel to TDKSA, or are they ignoring that train wreck of a book?

Also, this is a cool variant.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Idk, Imo The Superman one wouldn't look out of place in TDKIISA, which perhaps isn't that much of a comfort for most. But I found it funny (which I think it was supposed to be.)

Hope the new TDKIIITMR wrap around variant cover is better received. Has a more TDK-ish look to it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...riant-revealed
    Is that a hand growing-out of a foot or a foot growing-out of a hand?

Amazing Member

Are people familiar with the entire body of Franks work? It's more cartoony but his inking style is very similar to what he did in the mid 80's. I think it looks better than many of the superman covers he did in 85/86. I wish he'd put more into the compositions of his covers but that's always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Tastes are tastes. Let`s all understand that there is a market for alot of those tastes and leave it at that. Because, quite frankly, you have to.
    Very true. I am not the market, and those that are his market are free to give DC their money for something like this.
    Don`t be.
    Sorry, the mods deleted the post that came from (as well as some others) without any notification or reasoning, so I can't exactly get the context. I know one of the points I wrote was very valid, and no less off topic than the cover pic of WW's butt. But that's how moderation works (amazing how a post is deleted, but replies to it aren't.... everyone is human) If I remember the original post correctly, I think that "I'm sorry" was meant as a rhetorical parallel to XanatosVanBadass' previous statement that he was sorry I couldn't understand trolling. I'm not really sorry (as I doubt he was either). I still think the reasoning that Frank Miller brilliant through his trolling of superhero comics is totally depressing.

Ultimately, I just think he's become a lazy, hack artist. Kudos to him for getting paid.
    The worst thing about comics these days are definitely the 'true fans'

It's true. Nothing wrong with f-ing around. I would not pay for his lazy work, but kudos to him for getting paid for it.

He has zero responsibility to live up to anyone's expectations but himself and DC. Absolutely right. This is an Internet forum though, so I'd like to feel free to express how disappointing this sort of work is. I'm not trying to change him, nor the world, with my Internet opinions.
    The worst thing about comics these days are definitely the 'true fans'

It's true. Nothing wrong with f-ing around. I would not pay for his lazy work, but kudos to him for getting paid for it.

He has zero responsibility to live up to anyone's expectations but himself and DC. Absolutely right. This is an Internet forum though, so I'd like to feel free to express how disappointing this sort of work is. I'm not trying to change him, nor the world, with my Internet opinions.
    Are there still expectations though? If so... why?? I laughed when I heard there was DK3. After DKSA and All star Batman, I'm surprised there's still an interest in his Batman!!

DKR was interesting... it changed the comic world (Not necessarily for the better) but I REALLY don't think it's held up over the years and his Daredevil was pretty awesome back in the day... but I can't remember the last thing I read of his that lived up to any kind of hype.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    I think the art would be perceived even a tiny amount better if it wasn't so brightly colored. I'm thinking if it had the same vibe of colors that TDKR has it would fit the mood better.
    the highlights are a bit brighter, and the colors slightly less muted -- but otherwise it looks pretty similar. this will sound weird - but I think it's actually the background artwork that really changes things.

in earlier titles it probably would have been a scaled monochrome that is lighter at bottom and darkens as it moves to the top of the panel. this would have emphasized the bat-signal more and given more contrast. I think the background is washes the whole thing out. there's not enough contrast IMO. I would have made the background blue darker, and maybe even made the clouds a little more orange/pink. from a composition standpoint it still looks solid. it's also classic Frank Miller "ugly"-style.

I would have liked it more if he'd used more variety when inking. all of the line-work in inking is pretty uniform. sometimes I like that-- but in this case giving the figure outlines more weight and filling in some shadows more would have helped. classic Frank Miller wouldn't have made it impossible to figure out where the light source was situated!
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 10-10-2015 at 11:51 AM.