All-New Member

Default Comics on Kickstarter - what do you think?

What do you think about the comics on Kickstarter?
    Do you have any experience? I would like to buy a book but I am not sure.

D

I'm okay as long as it's known creators. If they have a proven track record--if I know they can meet a deadline--then I'm in. Unknown creators? Nope. Gotten burned too many times. One Kickstarter I backed was for two five-issue miniseries. They were on pace for one issue a year. I got a refund on that one. Another one, the book is already two years overdue and the creator just send an update that all work on the book was on indefinite hiatus. He is not offering refunds.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Incredible Member

Kickstarter is not something I actively support.

I have considered using it in the past to try and raise money to handle production expenses. However, I am also a person who doesn't believe in making promises that couldn't be kept. So I decided against it.

I have seen more than my fair share of failed Kickstarters to know that it is an absolute reputation wrecker if one isn't able to deliver. And worse if no refunds are able to be given. And those consequences are just too dire in my opinion to risk a start-up's reputation on.

So no. I wouldn't advise backing new comics projects on Kickstarter.

Personally speaking, ive backed over 20 projects now and have yet to be burned.

I think its worth doing some research on the project if you can. Finding out whos doing it, if theyve done past projects and if they were fulfilled, if they update frequently etc.

I've not been burned either (6 projects).

Be sure that they can actually produce what they're promising. I mean, if they say a you'll get a 32 page comic, then that's reasonable.

Just keep in mind a Kickstarter comic is probably an amateur production. If they could produce on the level of Marvel/DC, then they'd probably be getting work from them or publishing through an established independent. Personally I don't mind some "iffy" art but I really hate "iffy" writing. Good writing can overcome poor art and production, but no amount of production or art can fix bad writing. That's my biggest fear with KS comics.

Definitely scrutinize the sales pitch. If it's not written smoothly and compelling, then the book probably won't be either. Typos or bad grammar? Forget it. Too casual ("uh, me and my buddy wanna make a comic")? No sale. And there should plenty of art samples in the pitch. If the art's not done, you'll be waiting maybe a year to get that comic (if you get it at all).

Lots of things to think about. Ya gotta be patient. Takes time to finish the comic, print it, and then ship it and all the add-ons to all those people.

I prefer KS to other crowdfunding because you don't have to pay if they don't reach their benchmark.

ive backed a lot of kickstarters, almost exclusively comics. but i try to limit it to graphic novels or collected editions, not single issues. preferably when most of it is already done and it just needs to be finished\collected. if a deadline is approaching and a project has not reached its goal but is almost there, ill post about it on social media in case it can help. about half end up succeeding and the rest dont have enough support. i suggest you give it a try, it can be fun! it only gets rather expensive if you are pledging for something from another country, otherwise its pretty reasonable. in addition to taking the advice from the other replies to this thread, you could also give us the link and we can see what we think if you want.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

One big problem with comics on KS are some creators will not start the project till they get it fully funded, which means they won't ever get the comic done in the time to expect it too.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray probably run some of the best KS. They won't post their KS till they have half of the comic done. So by the time it ends, its pretty much finished.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers