Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: Valiant, Superhero Diversity, and the Future Wonder Woman

Joseph Illidge looks at Valiant Entertainment as the next, best choice for a superhero publisher committed to diversity.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Been on board with Valiant since the relaunch with X-O 1 and collect all series. The one thing this article doesn't mention is that Valiant has never seen the need to announce that they have diverse creators or characters. They just do it.

If you get the chance to hear the management of Valiant in interviews or meet them at a con, they will tell you there commitment has always been to putting the best creators on the best quality books they can and putting out great product. And they do it on time.

Who could ask for a better publisher.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

Invincible Member

Valiant seems to be a gaining traction if fan reaction is any judge. I seem to be coming across more and more people who say they're getting burned out on Marvel and DC, but still want capes saying that Valiant scratches that inch for them.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox83 View Post
    Been on board with Valiant since the relaunch with X-O 1 and collect all series. The one thing this article doesn't mention is that Valiant has never seen the need to announce that they have diverse creators or characters. They just do it.

If you get the chance to hear the management of Valiant in interviews or meet them at a con, they will tell you there commitment has always been to putting the best creators on the best quality books they can and putting out great product. And they do it on time.

I agree, Valiant is my favorite publisher right now, as every month I read less books from the big 2.

Still need to collect "Divinity", but Secret Wars is taking up my monies xD
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Incredible Member

Agree with all the above. I dropped everything else and read only Valiant with zero regrets. My favorite publisher from the 90s and now today.

Anyone interested in dipping a toe in the Valiant pool, the recent mini-series "The Valiant" is a great place to start. That, or jump into Harbinger with the vol. 1 tpb. Either will run you $10.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

BANNED

Valiant has been diverse long before the idea was seized on by the sj/keyboard warriors.

BANNED

Been enjoying the newest version of Valiant, but find they've cancelled a few of the books I was reading which is disappointing. Haven't had any new ones that have captured my interest since.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gantz_alien_killer View Post
    Valiant has been diverse long before the idea was seized on by the sj/keyboard warriors.

SJkeyboard whatever didn't seize anything. Lets get that clear.

They wanted the big two to wise up and follow what Valiant was doing instead of pandering to a group that acts like POC are some disease. Valiant chose to ignore that and have been able to do 2 things that the big 2 can't.

1) put diverse books out without 500 pages of complaints by folks who would never read them in the first place.

2) put books on the shelves (no matter how few) that actually sell and folks are willing to talk about without arguing.

Also notice these are books getting awards and excellent reviews and as an result more book stores and libraries are buying the trades.

Valiant seems to be a gaining traction if fan reaction is any judge. I seem to be coming across more and more people who say they're getting burned out on Marvel and DC, but still want capes saying that Valiant scratches that inch for them.
    People are tired of seeing stuff tossed on the wall or favorites getting limboed or ruined.

It goes back to the old saying "what YOU don't do someone else will."

Folks are looking for replacements and finding them elsewhere.

Been enjoying the newest version of Valiant, but find they've cancelled a few of the books I was reading which is disappointing.
    The chances of them coming back is WAY greater here then at other places. It seems to me they do a set run and then stop.

Agree with all the above. I dropped everything else and read only Valiant with zero regrets. My favorite publisher from the 90s and now today.

Anyone interested in dipping a toe in the Valiant pool, the recent mini-series "The Valiant" is a great place to start. That, or jump into Harbinger with the vol. 1 tpb. Either will run you $10.
    I lucked out got Archer & Armstrong & Eternal Warrior at a buy $20 get 60 free sale. Shadow Man at a dollar sale.

Q&W & Divinity were the only one I bought at cover price. Hardbringer trades are in the library.

All-New Member

I actually got really interested in Valiant now... So the question is... Where to start if one wants to get in?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    I actually got really interested in Valiant now... So the question is... Where to start if one wants to get in?!
    A lot of the universe is conencted but they also have some stand alone books that are fantastic. For me Shadowman has been the best book, it sits just outside the main universe has a solid story to tell and tells it really well. But if you want more out and out super heroics you can't go wrong with the core series of XO-Manowar and the Harbingers / Bloodshot books, lots of high octane adventure and with the Harbinger / Bloodshot books it is one story told from opposite sides.

i've lost my way a little with this universe but will be delving back into it in the new year.

This is very true they have kept their heads down and produced a consistent stream of great books.

The article forgot to mention Rai. Not many other companies can brag about having a book focusing on a Neo-Japanese lead from 41's century with the ability of a cyber samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Someone just asked this question over at the Valiant board and here are some of the responses. Hope it helps.

http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1513367
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

I like some of Valiant's books, but I think the company has some of the same problems from the big two. Things like the amount of crossovers are starting to annoy me and the fact the female characters only ever get minis is problematic, IMO.