Default Samsung tablet - comixology - reading/storing on the SD card

So I got a Samsung Galaxy S tab 10inch a few weeks back and only just got around to affording an SD card to go into it (its hard saving when comics keep stealing your coins!)

Now when I originally researched the purchase I got mixed messages on how I could store comics on the SD card rather than the internal memory. I know and have already moved the application itself to the SD card, however reading the storage usage and the "storage details" on the application tab it appears that its still using my local internal memory.

Therefore I'm wondering if any other owners of the same/similar tablet/software can lend a hand.

Far as I can tell there is either the option of:
    1) An internal setting that I'm unaware of which allows the Comixology app to store its data in the SD card - or a trick that makes it do so.

2) Rooting the tablet and using a bit of software such as the one discussed here http://taosaur.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0...chases-to.html

I should point out that I've not yet researched into how to Root nor specifically what it is; although I suspect that its a general form of "unlocking" the tablet to allow more back-door control over its operation - with all the general associated risks of letting people fiddle around with such areas including killing the tablet and voiding Warranties.

So if anyone has any details on either of the above I'd be most interested to hear them.

All-New Member

I found it's just easier for me to move the comics from internal memory to my card. takes all of 2 seconds.

BANNED

Think about it. Would Comixology want its DRM protected comics stored on a media that's separarate from the device and can be used in other devices? Of course not. The answer wiill have to be a hack.

Will that work? I must admit I didn't even think of manual moving of folders. That said whilst I've had a look I can't seem to find a "comixology" folder of comics. Do you have the address in the main memory where it stores the data?

Quote Originally Posted by LPF View Post
    I found it's just easier for me to move the comics from internal memory to my card. takes all of 2 seconds.
    How exactly have you done this? I found the folder and copied the folder over using the same setup into the SD card, but the app (even though it also is loaded onto the card) fails to read the comics in the new location; its still looking on the internal memory for them only.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Think about it. Would Comixology want its DRM protected comics stored on a media that's separarate from the device and can be used in other devices? Of course not. The answer wiill have to be a hack.
    Actually I can't see how its a problem - the data itself is readily seen and moved around - nothing stops you creating a local back-up and it can still only be read with the comixology app (which as its account linked I'm sure reads up if your account has purchased specific comics - likely page by page since it stores comics in page by page format, before letting you read them).
    Plus most other digital software allows itself to be stored on removable media - CD/DVD/Blueray stores almost all software in most forms and is readily mobile in nature.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by overread View Post
    Actually I can't see how its a problem - the data itself is readily seen and moved around - nothing stops you creating a local back-up and it can still only be read with the comixology app (which as its account linked I'm sure reads up if your account has purchased specific comics - likely page by page since it stores comics in page by page format, before letting you read them).
    Plus most other digital software allows itself to be stored on removable media - CD/DVD/Blueray stores almost all software in most forms and is readily mobile in nature.
    The point is that, however the users see it, as far as I can tell Comixology sees it as a potential problem and has locked it out. You'll have to find an off the books solution to get it to work, it's not an option you can turn on.

I don't think something like Blu-Ray is a good example for your point. That actually has massive encryption to keep it from being moved to another medium like a hard drive.

You can't store the book files on sd unless you root. However, comixology pretty much confirmed today that sd card storage of books is coming soon.

timhk63

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANO View Post
    You can't store the book files on sd unless you root. However, comixology pretty much confirmed today that sd card storage of books is coming soon.
    I've been complaining to Comixology about this ever since I purchased a 64 GD sd card last year only to discover it was useless. I was thinking of purchasing one of those flex laptops so that I could download to the HD,but I see they are disabling the windows 8 app at the end of the year,so scratch that. They could at the very least add a read pile to the smartlist, so you could organize the stuff you are currently preparing to read there.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANO View Post
    Oh that is good news have you got a link?
    I just hope its a "this side of christmas" soon as opposed to "soon someday maybe" soon.

I've no problem juggling books in and out; but its nice to have it all downloaded in one spot; at least for favourites or long series or just big volumes (like those 500 odd page Alien ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    The point is that, however the users see it, as far as I can tell Comixology sees it as a potential problem and has locked it out. .
    The funny thing is that it isn't actually locked out. All the files for the comics are right there to be seen, encrypted yes but visible. In fact all one would need is a simple redirect folder in the original location pointing at the new location for it to work. The files themselves can be seen, copied and all without any hacking or rooting.
    Honestly I suspect its more an oversight in the software for a feature that likely wasn't in high demand early on and - considering how easy it is to download and delete, some might not have requested it early on. That said as the number of digital users has likely risen its possibly become a more and more asked for feature.

I'm glad that they are considering bringing it in - stops people like me worrying about finding good guides and software to root our tablets.