Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    They want Dragons.

Alternately like YvtW, their dimensional teleporter thing for whatever reason can only go to established fictional universes.
    Why would you want Dragons, though? an Apache can effectively do all the same stuff a Westeros dragon can do, with the added bonus of just being a vehicle and not a savage, untameable beast that will eventually have to be put down before it turns on it's masters. And you don't have to hatch Apaches from eggs or wait for them to grow up, you can just requisition more of them and then wait for however it long it takes them to truck it through the dimension gate to the nearest FOB.

Astonishing Member

Tyrion becomes the manager of the first Whole Foods.

As far as established fictional universes - many of alternate universe books have multiples without people. Look at the "Long" universe alternates.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    Why would you want Dragons, though?
    Delicious Dragon sandwiches, of course. Helicopters don't taste nearly as good with mustard.

... Or so I've heard.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Delicious Dragon sandwiches, of course. Helicopters don't taste nearly as good with mustard.

... Or so I've heard.
    Touching on the last two posts, Tyrion can work at Whole Foods, home of Organic Dragon Sandwiches. FANtastic.

Fantastic Member

What's the range of weapons the american soldier have? Depending on the answer I can think of 1 or 2 methods GOT could attempt to use to achieve victory. win.
    Also, I'd assume the USA isn't in a mentality that their first thought after establishing an encampment in a strange world for study is to go around riding rough shot killing everyone. So basically it'll be like any other episode of GOT. The big difference here is of course that the US would have all the leverage. Uncontested leverage means everyone will agree to any terms. Still, that doesn't stop certain people planning in the shadows and trying to assassinate every soldier, capture someone to learn about their 'magic', and plot to maintain their 'rightful' claim as ruler.

Also, even if everyone in GOT dies, Lord Bailesh someone manages to become president of the United states.

Also, are they going to be going around conquering areas, or is this more them displaying their military might, waiting in camp, and accepting surredders.

Quote Originally Posted by Daenarys Stormborn View Post

Also, are they going to be going around conquering areas, or is this more them displaying their military might, waiting in camp, and accepting surredders.
    They're doing what you'd believe the U.S. military will do. Some believe the U.S. military will conquer the GoT universe, while others believe it'll be for humanitarian purposes.

What's the range of weapons the american soldier have? Depending on the answer I can think of 1 or 2 methods GOT could attempt to use to achieve victory. win.
    Also, I'd assume the USA isn't in a mentality that their first thought after establishing an encampment in a strange world for study is to go around riding rough shot killing everyone. So basically it'll be like any other episode of GOT. The big difference here is of course that the US would have all the leverage. Uncontested leverage means everyone will agree to any terms. Still, that doesn't stop certain people planning in the shadows and trying to assassinate every soldier, capture someone to learn about their 'magic', and plot to maintain their 'rightful' claim as ruler.

Also, even if everyone in GOT dies, Lord Bailesh someone manages to become president of the United states.

Standard M16 max effective range is 550 meters for a single target and 800 meters for an area target(clumped up enemies)
    M249 SAW light maching gun is 700 meters for single target and 800-1000 meters for an area target depending on if it has a bipod or a tripod/vehicle mount
    M2 Heavy Machine Guns have ranges up to 1800 meters
    Artillery depends on which kind of field gun and the shell being fired, a mortar has a range up to 6 kilometers, a M777 Howitzer can engage anywhere from 15-25 miles out depending on the type of shell, a Paladin has an operational range of up to 216 miles, and an MLRS has an operational range of up to 400 miles

To put this in perspective, the English long bow is typically thought of as the longest ranged bow in medieval times, and it's longest suggested, and completely unsupported, range is 370 meters(modern tests haven't been able to get past 328 meters, and the longest historical recorded shot was only 315 meters), and this was after years of practice and training(and developing the muscle require just to use a frigging 150 lb draw bow). I was able to hit 300 meter targets pretty regularly as of Basic Training with only about 2 weeks of Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-11-2014 at 04:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    We done similar threads like opening a portal to LOTR. Unless you have their cosmics (if GoT had any) - they get rolled over quickly. Then we rape their environment for oil, timber, etc.

Smart inhabitants of those universes try to get scholarships to Harvard and become part of the occupation government. Scientists try to understand magic for practical implications. Google takes over the Palantirs. Westeros doesn't have much high end magic.
    How come when I used the "r" word in the old CBR, why is it everyone felt disgusted and complained when I used the word in a thread to describe a character stomping the other side, but how come when others are using it, no one bats an eye?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Also, I'd assume the USA isn't in a mentality that their first thought after establishing an encampment in a strange world for study is to go around riding rough shot killing everyone.
    Not all of us, no.

Me, sure, but not everybody else.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

They want to kill you??
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    How come when I used the "r" word in the old CBR, why is it everyone felt disgusted and complained when I used the word in a thread to describe a character stomping the other side, but how come when others are using it, no one bats an eye?
    Because people don't like you?

Just Kidding. Sheesh I hope you can take a joke.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Mighty Member

Rape of the natural world/environment is a well established idiom that has long since been disconnected from sexual violence, would be my guess. Either that or none of the people that took issue with it prior noticed it in this particular instance. I would say odds are good it is one of those two reasons.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

CS probably made a poor choice of words, but you honestly don't get the difference?

You said something like "so-and-so rapes so-and-so" - you referred to an expressly person-on-person violent act, and in doing so, it either trivializes the word and concept behind it, or you really were subconsciously/not-so-subconsciously referring to actual forced sexual violation.

CS, here, used common vernacular for a group/society plundering environmental resources without considering the consequences. It might be slightly insensitive, but, since it's not talking about a person doing it to another person, it's far less offensive to the sensitive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Tyrion becomes the manager of the first Whole Foods.
    Yes. Yes he does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Standard M16 max effective range is 550 meters for a single target and 800 meters for an area target(clumped up enemies)
    M249 SAW light maching gun is 700 meters for single target and 800-1000 meters for an area target depending on if it has a bipod or a tripod/vehicle mount
    M2 Heavy Machine Guns have ranges up to 1800 meters
    Artillery depends on which kind of field gun and the shell being fired, a mortar has a range up to 6 kilometers, a M777 Howitzer can engage anywhere from 15-25 miles out depending on the type of shell, a Paladin has an operational range of up to 216 miles, and an MLRS has an operational range of up to 400 miles
    The Paladin's firing range is about 18km. The vehicle itself can drive about 300 kilometers before it needs to refuel, which is what I assume you meant. the MLRS can hit things about 60km. Away. Just making the distinction for the sake of others. Operational range and firing range are two very different things.
    Last edited by Endless_Legend; 06-12-2014 at 02:20 AM.