Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If the internet was around right after Crisis on Infinite Earths...

...would message boards like this one be hating on Byrne's Man of Steel?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

For reasons both good and bad, but make no mistake: it would be apocalyptic.
    Buh-bye

It was incredibly popular so I have no doubt the internet posters would have hated it. Just like now when books with no sales are praised as the greatest things ever and books and artists who sell like hotcakes are slammed.

I remember an interview from years ago where Quesada made fun of internet forums and called it bizzaro world. Basically he said if a comic publisher published based on internet response they would soon broke.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As always, there would be a vocal minority calling for the heads of Kahn and Giordano.

The difference being the Post-COIE DCU was awesome, whereas The New 52 was mostly sh!t...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I made this awhile ago when the Nu52 was happening. It's based on the old BBS boards back from the 1980/90's

Last edited by Brandon Hanvey; 09-21-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Whenever I recall the days of $0.75 an issue, I get a sharp pain in my chest...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    I made this awhile ago when the Nu52 was happening. It's based on the old BBS boards back from the 1980/90's

You win!!!

Except for the fonts and name calling, it could be today!

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

That was great Brandon!

Umm . . . Yes.
    If the internet had existed back then, yes there would have been an outcry.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Retired

We did have something like the internet back then and there was an outcry. That medium doesn't exist anymore but it involved a substance that was made from trees and another substance using lamp black. There were also men and women who carried large sacks and in these sack they would have the media made from the substances I describe. These men and women would physcially transport the media in their sacks, if you can imagine it, though you probably can't. But most of us had access to these media through that method and we would read postings on these media--although we didn't usually call such expressons of opinion "postings". A "posting" was actually supposed to be something where you would nail or glue a material substance (again made out of something from a tree) onto a post or a fence or a notice board. And here again these words will be unfamiliar to you in their archaic context, but posts, fences and notice boards were actual physical objects in common areas where people were likely to walk. Walking being a means by which humans used the muscles in their legs to transport themselves from one locus to another. I know--strange, eh? But those were more primitive times.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Yeah it would have been the same. People look at Jenette Khan, Dick Giordano and Paul Levitz now as saints who cared about the integrity of DC Comics and it's characters and then the next breath put down Nelson, DiDio and Lee as the three headed antichrist who ruined Superhero comics "FOREVAH!" 30 years ago...the aforementioned were the ruiners of so many people's childhoods, disgraces to their profession blah blah blah. (and I would argue Khan, Giordano and Levitz DID cause more damage to the Superman franchise for the long haul than anything DiDio has done to the character in his tenure, as their changes were on the conceptual level and DiDio's and Lee have largely been on the visual and cosmetic level....but I digress).

Mark my words....if DC Comics (or the comics industry as a whole) still exists in 30 years time, the ladies and Gentlemen that follow the current hated regime will be seen as the antichrist by that generation of fanboys/girls...and suddenly Nelson, DiDio and Co will be seen in similarly glowing and nostalgic rose colored terms. I will bet money on that.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-22-2015 at 06:31 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The OP asked about Bryne's Man of Steel. When the solicitations get announced, I imagine the internet would be bitching but then everyone would read issue #1 and stfu...

Now I imagine during CoIE, people would posting death threats due to the deaths of Supergirl and Barry Allen.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Byrne was a superstar, when Man of Steel was announced it was the best news possible. Literally everything he did was redefining. After a couple issues, well, they looked great but it was not what I wanted.

Honestly, Alan Moore was less famous by comparison and for a guy like me who had never been in a comic shop back then, even Frank Miller was just the Daredevil guy.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 09-22-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Byrne was a superstar, when Man of Steel was announced it was the best news possible. Literally everything he did was redefining. After a couple issues, well, they looked great but it was not what I wanted.

Honestly, Alan Moore was less famous by comparison and for a guy like me who had never been in a comic shop back then, even Frank Miller was just the Daredevil guy.
    From what I've read, the irony is when Byrne was hired initially, he assumed he was just going to more or less continue things from what came prior, just with a new visual overhaul. True Byrne did tell Giordano of what changes he would personally make if he was the one fully in charge of the character and listed them as "unreasonable demands" half tounge in cheekly,but was shocked when Giordano, Kahn and Levitz greenlighted almost all of them (I think they drew the line at having a Pregnant Lara be sent to earth instead of just Baby Kal-El, so thus the Birthing Matrix contrivance to have Superman be a natural born US citizen). With that carte blanche given by the Powers that be....who would have said "no"?

I will say to this day he drew a damn fine Superman and was the last time his art was truly great, IMO. Artistically he was the right choice to make a clean break from the previous "house" style. It's the changes made on the conceptual level that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of San Jose View Post
    ...would message boards like this one be hating on Byrne's Man of Steel?
    If the Internet were around in 1938, people would have been hating on Siegal and Schuster's Superman. When they rewrote his history to make him Superboy or gave him a new power out of nowhere and pretended he always had it, there would have been a thousand threads about it.

Give people a forum of any kind to express their opinions and those that don't like something will express it loudly again and again and again.

This is not a defense of Byrne's Superman. Just saying things like that will almost always happen given the means to do it.