View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8House #4: Yorris (part 1)

4 10.53%
  • Axend #1

0 0%
  • Codename Baboushka: Conclave of Death #1

0 0%
  • Copperhead #10

2 5.26%
  • Dark Corridor #3

0 0%
  • The Humans #8

1 2.63%
  • Minimum Wage: So Many Bad Decision #6 (of 6)

1 2.63%
  • Nailbiter #16

1 2.63%
  • Paper Girls #1

17 44.74%
  • Plutona #2

2 5.26%
  • Saints #1

0 0%
  • Southern Bastards #11

8 21.05%
  • Starve #5

0 0%
  • The Surface #4

1 2.63%
  • We Stand On Guard #4 (of 6)

1 2.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It isn't called Southern Heroes for a reason. I don't think the book's ever going to settle on a "hero". Maybe Tubbs' daughter, but again, I think the answer is in the title.
    I for one, am perfectly fine with that.

As am I. Just saying, I don't think they subverted that concept in the first arc for no reason.

Well, speaking from experience, if Informationgeek disliked Survivors' Club then it's probably great and I need to pick it up immediately.

As to Image, there are so many goodies this week. I have read Paper Girls and loved it. The character work and Chiang's art are a dream. But I still have a promising group of titles to get to...Copperhead, Nailbiter, Plutona, Saints, Southern Bastards and We Stand On Guard. so it's (likely) going to be a tough choice.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doughy Man! View Post
    Well, speaking from experience, if Informationgeek disliked Survivors' Club then it's probably great and I need to pick it up immediately.
    But if that's the case, if I like something, shouldn't that mean you avoid it? I mean liked Paper Girls and Southern Bastards this week. Shouldn't you avoid those?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    But if that's the case, if I like something, shouldn't that mean you avoid it? I mean liked Paper Girls and Southern Bastards this week. Shouldn't you avoid those?
    I'm just never going to forgive your scathing reviews of my beloved Drumhellar (drug fueled hallucinogenic weirdness at its finest)
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 10-08-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Amazing Member

Pretty light week for image comics for me this week. Only going to pick up Paper Girls and We Stand on Guard. Guess I am waiting on a lot of the others in trades

I'm just never going to forgive your scathing reviews of my beloved Drumheller (drug fueled hallucinogenic weirdness at its finest)
    Man, I miss Drumhellar, Rossmo's art was off the scale!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    While there's plenty of things we mutually like, I am with the other poster that sometimes you will brutally skewer some of the best books out there. I almost made the exact same post about how if you hated Survivors' Club then it is probably amazing, but didn't think anyone would get the joke.

Good review of Prison School btw. It is so off-putting that I started it and dropped it multiple times before finally getting hooked on it's pervy antics.

I'm just never going to forgive your scathing reviews of my beloved Drumhellar (drug fueled hallucinogenic weirdness at its finest)
    I love drug books as much as the next stoner, but I was underwhelmed with Drumhellar. Great art, but the writing left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Good review of Prison School btw. It is so off-putting that I started it and dropped it multiple times before finally getting hooked on it's pervy antics.
    Thanks. Prison School Vol. 1 was a hard one to review since I had think a lot about what was the writer was thinking and what his intention was with the series.

Paper Girls was really good. Did anyone else read it? It's like a Spielberg 80s/90s family movie.

Paper Girls was really good. Did anyone else read it? It's like a Spielberg 80s/90s family movie.
    I did. I wasn't too keen on the opening and felt a bit decompressed at times, but it got better as time went on. Best thing Vaughan has written all year long (not to hard to do considering Saga was underwhelming and We Stand on Guard is... okay

Paper Girls? I was thinking of Super 8 as I read it.

And while Vaughan's script was aces, Chiang's contributions were equally as important. MINOR SPOILERISH STUFF....

After the dream, when Erin asks her sister if she's dead... the expressions in those panels were priceless (grumpy sister, to Erin's smile). Little things like that impressed me. Tiffany's upset over having the radio stolen. That was such a small, but wonderful scene, and my heart went out to her. She doesn't have money to burn, and the artistic details add much (a small tear, her torn jeans). Also Chiang's double page spread when Erin first heads out, I loved the composition in that page.

Heck, Vaughan could have tossed out the spooky weirdness and it still would have been great, just as a coming of age story. Yes it was decompressed in spots, but that's not a negative here. It suited the tone of the piece early on, with those sleepy mornings when things are quiet. I like how it set things up, allowed us to ease into this girls life.

I love drug books as much as the next stoner, but I was underwhelmed with Drumhellar. Great art, but the writing left a lot to be desired.
    It had an unconventional narrative structure, but I like things like that. Movies like "Under The Skin", comics like "Drumhellar. It's not bad writing, just different, though not to everyone's tastes.

This week I bought Paper Girls #1, Southern Bastards #11, and We Stand on Guard #4.

Southern Bastards I haven't read yet because I'm not quite caught up.

We Stand on Guard is losing my interest more and more by the issue. The characters are boring and keep dying before they get a chance to develop of personality and the story has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the skull. The art is really it's only redeeming quality at this point.

Paper Girls was great. Fun characters, good dialogue, and plenty of atmosphere.

Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Nailbiter, Starve and as new series Paper Girls which was recommended by my local store.

So many great books this week! But ultimately, my vote HAS to go to Nailbiter. Such an amazing series.