View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8House #4: Yorris (part 1)

4 10.53%
  • Axend #1

0 0%
  • Codename Baboushka: Conclave of Death #1

0 0%
  • Copperhead #10

2 5.26%
  • Dark Corridor #3

0 0%
  • The Humans #8

1 2.63%
  • Minimum Wage: So Many Bad Decision #6 (of 6)

1 2.63%
  • Nailbiter #16

1 2.63%
  • Paper Girls #1

17 44.74%
  • Plutona #2

2 5.26%
  • Saints #1

0 0%
  • Southern Bastards #11

8 21.05%
  • Starve #5

0 0%
  • The Surface #4

1 2.63%
  • We Stand On Guard #4 (of 6)

1 2.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    So many great books this week! But ultimately, my vote HAS to go to Nailbiter. Such an amazing series.
    Another series I plan to get to eventually.

I only read Paper Girls this week. Liked it a lot. I'll definitely stick with it. Found it interesting that it started and ended with spoilers:
    an apple
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I only read Paper Girls this week. Liked it a lot. I'll definitely stick with it. Found it interesting that it started and ended with spoilers:
    an apple
    end of spoilers
    I didn't notice that. What do you think is the significance of that?

Paper Girls is off to a great start, going to stick with it. We Stand On Guard has gone from great premise to not very good in a blink of an eye. I'd never guess BKV is writing it, but I do like the art. Southern Bastards is just on another level for me and easily gets my vote.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

So far, I've read four of the new Image comics.

Plutona #2 felt very short, but I'm interested in what each of the kids will do concerning Plutona's death. More interested in the back up story though.

Paper Girls #1 might be the best first issue I've read this year so far. Cliff Chiang's art is amazing to look at, and I wonder what the significance of the Apple symbol will be in the upcoming issues. I'll most likely be trade waiting Paper Girls.

Copperhead #10 had a pretty satisfying conclusion overall for the second story arc and had some nice, though very brief, character interactions between Clara Bronson and Boo, as well as Clara and Floyd. I hope the Sewells and Ishmael continue to play supporting roles in the third story arc.

The Humans #8 was a great fast paced issue that went overboard in revenge after the last issue's cliffhanger. I've been really enjoying The Humans these last few issues, and glad to know it will return with a second miniseries next year after #10 comes out in December.

Of these four comics, The Humans gets my vote for my favorite this week, with Copperhead coming in a very close second place, and Paper Girls in third.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    spoilers:
    Maybe Erin's dreams play a part in the story? I thought I might be looking into it too much but thought it's too much of a coincidence. Plus space played a part in her dream, and the "discovery" maybe from space? I'm looking forward to issue 2 for sure!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-11-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added spoilertags

A very close week.
    I'm voting for Paper Girls. The Humans and Southern Bastards being a close 2nd and 3rd.
    The Tomorrows and Doctor Strange are the best books of the week, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    spoilers:
    That the kids are being tempted by the Serpent with a forbidden fruit of futuristic knowledge?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-11-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added spoilertags

Southern damn Bastards ftw.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

amazingly enough, I haven't read any of my new Image titles yet! But geez-- I usually read one new comic a night, plus one in a re-read series (currently NEXTwave [saving America by beating people up]), plus something from the library (currently Eric Powell's _Chimichanga_)-- and so had to (HAD to) read Goon, then Dr Strange (enh, alas), and Powers: but tonight-- well you guys' reviews have convinced me to open up Paper Girls! Will return in a couple of days to vote and report--
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    spoilers:
    That the kids are being tempted by the Serpent with a forbidden fruit of futuristic knowledge?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Forbidden futuristic knowledge like those darn Apple iPods huh?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-11-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added spoilertags

Only picked up Paper Girls this week but thought it was a great first issue, I loved the art the and twist at the end has me itching to read the second.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    spoilers:
    Forbidden futuristic knowledge like those darn Apple iPods huh?
    end of spoilers
    Shouldn't you guys put this in spoilers? It might ruin the surprise for the people who are contemplating picking up Paper Girls this week and decided to based on the reviews. Anyways, I thought it was a terrific first issue but I went in knowing that I would love it. Gets my vote.
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-11-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added spoilertags in quote
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Amazing Member

Big week for me. Copperhead won though.

Paper Girls looks incredible and I am very excited to keep reading. Finally Southern Bastards. Excited for that as well.

My Image read pile this week was 8House #4: Yorris, Codename Baboushka: Conclave of Death #1, Copperhead #10, Nailbiter #16, Paper Girls #1, Plutona #2, Southern Bastards #11 & The Surface #4.

Copperhead had a somewhat disappointing end to it's second arc especially seeing as it took so long to actually come out & Codename Baboushka easily ranks as the worst debut issue I've read this year. In fact it's so bad I'm going to break my rule of giving every comic at least 3 issues, I just don't feel like stumping up $3.99 for more of the same.

Southern Bastards was awesome but I voted for Paper Girls which apart from being a damn fine debut with great art & an interesting premise, we got a double sized issue for just $2.99.

Tried out Saints, which was more interesting than I anticipated (sounds like damning praise) since I'm pretty sure it's the first comic from these creators? It's very much a concerted effort, they clearly know they wanna approach these religious themes in a kinda darkly humourous fashion. Also it never feels preachy, nor does it bash religion, so walks a neat balance there. Not sure if I'll be back for more, but it was decent!

Paper Girls - agree with the consensus here. It looks gorgeous, storywise a little decompressed but it didn't really drag anywhere. I'm not in love with it yet, but it's closer to Saga than We Stand On Guard on the BKV scale imo haha.

Speaking of We Stand On Guard, the art in 8House: Yorris feels a little similar to it. I'm not a huge fan of this style, though the storytelling is very good. I never knew these creators had a huge background in cartoon animations like Ghostbusters, Godzilla, Starship Troopers... Definitely explains some of the creature designs!
    spoilers:
    I liked the "using emotions to channel curses and spells"-angle, and the design on the light-based woman is pretty cool.
    end of spoilers
    Probably my least favourite of the three 8House series we've gotten so far in terms of art, but the story has me more intrigued than the Kiem storyline. Voted for this one, mostly because Paper Girls is definitely winning the week anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Shouldn't you guys put this in spoilers? It might ruin the surprise for the people who are contemplating picking up Paper Girls this week and decided to based on the reviews.
    Good point Groo, my apologies. Added spoilertags to a few posts (including mine), their contents remains unchanged entirely of course, in case anyone is wondering!