Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could DC "replicate" Ultimate Spider-man??

Complete Ultimate Spider-man was on sale on Comixolgy a couple of weeks ago. For first time for yonks succumbed to temptation and bought the lot.

Read about first 20 issues, and very impressed so far....Mr Bendis is "mixing it up nicely"...the Peter Parker we all know and love is there in essence having similar adventures to the original...but there's enough subtle differences to make it all seem fresh and original. And the most pleasant thought of all (for me) is that by the end of the series I'll have read the complete story of Ultimate Peter Parker...be able to follow him from beginning to end.

Could DC not do something similar with one of their "main" heroes?? (i.e. Tell a separate continuity over 100-ish issues of heroes career from beginning to end.)

If not, why not?? (After all the two best DC series in living memory...the James Robinson "Starman" and Garth Ennis' "Hitman" did follow main characters "career" from beginning to end.)

BANNED

They can't.
    Marvel couldn't do it either if they tried it now.

They're both too caught up in the event cycles to even conceive of letting a book just run uninterrupted for 100 issues.

Extraordinary Member

DC has had books that in their own ways are similar to Ultimate Spiderman, most notably Dixon's Robin.

As for an AU version of another character, they've never tried more than a mini-series. There's no reason they couldn't. The will just isn't there, and I suspect they are overly worried about being 'confusing' with multiple versions of the same character running around.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Complete Ultimate Spider-man was on sale on Comixolgy a couple of weeks ago. For first time for yonks succumbed to temptation and bought the lot.

Read about first 20 issues, and very impressed so far....Mr Bendis is "mixing it up nicely"...the Peter Parker we all know and love is there in essence having similar adventures to the original...but there's enough subtle differences to make it all seem fresh and original. And the most pleasant thought of all (for me) is that by the end of the series I'll have read the complete story of Ultimate Peter Parker...be able to follow him from beginning to end.

Could DC not do something similar with one of their "main" heroes?? (i.e. Tell a separate continuity over 100-ish issues of heroes career from beginning to end.)

If not, why not?? (After all the two best DC series in living memory...the James Robinson "Starman" and Garth Ennis' "Hitman" did follow main characters "career" from beginning to end.)
    Earth 1 series

I feel like it could be done.
    But it depends on who they want to have the main focus be on..

It could be done with a Superboy

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post

As I've been pottering round house doing a few odd jobs I've pondered that very issue.

The life and times of one Wally West might just fit the bill.

Would certainly attract strong support given the right writer/ artist creative team. But enough to get it through a planned 100 issue run? Not sure...but to be fair there'd be some risk whichever character was used.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-07-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It could easily be done but would the fans really embrace it?

Part of what made Ultimate Spider-Man special was that it was allowed to exist as a thing for 240-ish issues. Now-a-days, we are lucky to see a comic get to 8 issues. Even popular series only get into the 40's.

yes they can, but they chose to do it in graphic novels.

They called them "Earth 1 Superman" and "Earth 1 Batman".

They could try something similar with Batman Beyond instead of the current direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    yes they can, but they chose to do it in graphic novels.

They called them "Earth 1 Superman" and "Earth 1 Batman".
    I must admit that until I saw nightrider's and your comment that I'd not realised what Earth 1 series was about.

I agree with you that it's essentially an attempt to do equivalent of Ultimate Spider-Man...if DC are really, really committed to the long haul in regard to Earth 1. Have nagging doubts about that....but would love to be proved wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post

Hell yeah it could be,it's not like there is a shortage on tales of kon-EL
    Kesel
    Johns
    Lobdell
    Weissman
    Smallville
    Injustice
    Superman family adventures

As I've been pottering round house doing a few odd jobs I've pondered that very issue.

The life and times of one Wally West might just fit the bill.

Would certainly attract strong support given the right writer/ artist creative team. But enough to get it through a planned 100 issue run? Not sure...but to be fair there'd be some risk whichever character was used.

The red haired freckled faced wally would be a win in any form

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    They could try something similar with Batman Beyond instead of the current direction.
    They did have that for a long time, as the Batman Beyond comics were all in the Timmverse, or at the very least a continuation of that universe.

I must admit that until I saw nightrider's and your comment that I'd not realised what Earth 1 series was about.

I agree with you that it's essentially an attempt to do equivalent of Ultimate Spider-Man...if DC are really, really committed to the long haul in regard to Earth 1. Have nagging doubts about that....but would love to be proved wrong.
    I think they were committed until the order came from the WB to reboot the main continuity. Since then, Earth 1 has sort of just existed. It doesn't have a tight continuity and is more Elseworlds retellings of characters origins set in a more realistic universe.

I thought about it and can't think of any character in DC it would work with. Peter Parker struggles with keeping his secret identity, balancing high school, keeping his family and friends out of danger. Also Peter was picked on, still looks like a weakling, but how has these crazy powers.

All those elements is what made USM so great.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I thought about it and can't think of any character in DC it would work with. Peter Parker struggles with keeping his secret identity, balancing high school, keeping his family and friends out of danger. Also Peter was picked on, still looks like a weakling, but how has these crazy powers.

All those elements is what made USM so great.
    Jaime Reyes?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Blue Beetle, in Jaime's first series, had a really solid chance at capturing the vibe. Sadly he was completely and utterly derailed.