Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Invincible Iron Man, #1

Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez focus on the return of Tony Stark more than his armored alter ego and bring a larger-than-life, cinematic quality to "Invincible Iron Man" #1.

Full review here.

Enjoy this issue Iron Man fans if it's anything like Bendis' recent work it's all down hill from here.

BANNED

I was surprised by this issue - same decompressed style as usual but Bendis managed to establish the new status quo very efficiently and introduce a few interesting plot strands. And it had great art, but that was no surprise.

Was quite impressed. Only counted one instance of characters repeating each other.

Very good issue. Loved the reveal on the last page. And man, the art was so good. Some of those shots of Madame Masque were incredible.

Snagged the Bruce Timm variant today as well. Really good day for this Iron-fan.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Was pleasantly surprised with this one. Actually fun and interesting. Hopefully this isn't another Old Man Logan and actual plot happens
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Anyone else having trouble redeeming their code for this issue?

Love Bendis. Loved this issue. Could care less about the haters. He's gonna rock this series. His style of dialogue is literally perfect for Tony.

That moment with Thor was great. Very funny.

Does anyone think we'll ever find out how Tony was reverted back to his old self?

Eh. It was weak for me, but not exactly bad. Since it's Bendis I'll have to wait and see the whole thing before coming to a conclusion.

But dat Marquez art, damn son.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Enjoy this issue Iron Man fans if it's anything like Bendis' recent work it's all down hill from here.
    Oh God I really hope it isn't lol

BANNED

2 questions

1. any mention of Arno

2. any hints of what happened after Secret Wars

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    2 questions

1. any mention of Arno

2. any hints of what happened after Secret Wars
    1. No

2. New York is fine. Tony is still a billionaire playboy philanthropist. Tony is still a horn dog. Tony still makes bleeding edge tech. Tony uses Friday rather than Jarvis now. Latveria is in shambles as many different groups vie for control since Doom is absent/gone. Tony was shocked to meet Doom (so, presumably, something happens to him in Secret Wars).

All-New Member

I thought the issue was really well done overall and it gave a breezy iron-man vibe. Even though I liked the writing and I felt it really suited Tony, I think Marquez's art really stole the spotlight! The whole issue is a big eye-candy and personally I can't just get enough of it.

I really liked the Amara Perera character and I hope she sticks around.

Also, I am really behind the choice of not showing off the new armor's tricks from the get-go. The flow of the story feels much more natural this way, but I really we see some of it in the next issue!

Picked up the Adi Granov variant as well and I think it is one of the best iron-man variants in a long while.
    Last edited by Cyriano; 10-08-2015 at 07:44 PM.

It was good.

That Adi Granov cover looks awesome.

I also like the Hip Hop cover.

Out of curiosity which of the "Young Guns" covers do you like the most?

The only two I liked was the:

Nick Bradshaw Young Guns Cover (found it cute with the Iron Man fan kid playing in his room while the real Iron Man is battling just outside)

David Marquez Young Guns Cover (looked alot like a design cover but not as pricey and the coloring looked good)

with Variant Valerio Schiti Young Guns Cover in OK 3rd (3rd place for me but more substance then the other covers).

The rest looked to basic for me.

The book itself was really strong. Most of the people here allready praised the artwork by Marquez and Ponsor and rightfully so. Even the armor where I first feared it would look to simply and a bit corny felt right in the semirealistic setting.

I'm one of those persons who actually like what Bendis brings to Marvel comics. The fun, banter and adventure without to much darkness and gloomy stuff and so this "new" Tony Stark really was to my liking.

What I really hated was the Action Figure variant Cover.... now I want THAT Action Figure ... NOW!
    My Blog about comics, games and stuff in german: Nerdenthum