Super Moderator

Default "Stranger Things" Star Shannon Purser REALLY Wants to Play Squirrel Girl

After teasing her interest in playing Squirrel Girl, the 19-year-old actress explains what's so appealing about the Marvel Comics heroine.

Full article here.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Disgusting, white actor trying to steal a role from an Idaho Potato.

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    Disgusting, white actor trying to steal a role from an Idaho Potato.
    I'm sure there's a joke there, but I don't quite get it. Idaho Potato???

Fantastic Member

I call for a catfight!

Incredible Member

I can see why she wants it I mean who doesn't wanna be in the MCU, id love to be person on street number 107. But if you compare Anna Kendrick is a more recognizable name and in all honesty would put more people in seats, especially with how little the character is known. It would also booster her career but Anna Kendrick marketing wise is the best pick. I'm sure Shannon is a great actress but at the end of the day you want name recognition. But let's be serious, marvel won't make this movie. As I say this I'm sure some people at marvel studios have a giant bulletin board with every character they could make into w movie with head shots of people who could play those characters.

BANNED

Calling her a "star" of Stranger Things is a pretty big stretch. She probably had about 6 minutes of actual screen time over the course of the 8 episodes.

Incredible Member

I keep expecting Marvel to branch out with a Pixar film. I know they did Big Hero 6, but I mean a proper superhero. If they ever do it, Squirrel Girl would be a pretty good heroine to use. I can't see how she would ever have a solo live-action film, and I don't see the character fitting in with the cinematic universe they've established.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    I keep expecting Marvel to branch out with a Pixar film. I know they did Big Hero 6, but I mean a proper superhero. If they ever do it, Squirrel Girl would be a pretty good heroine to use. I can't see how she would ever have a solo live-action film, and I don't see the character fitting in with the cinematic universe they've established.
    Although it was (extremely) loosely based on a Marvel comic, Marvel Studios had nothing to do with the Big Hero 6 movie. That was strictly a Disney production. In fact, based on what was reported during the film's production, BH6 was the source of some pretty serious territorial strife between Marvel and Disney.

Incredible Member

Hmm. I never saw Big Hero 6 and really had no idea what the source material actually was, but now that I've read up on it a bit I can't imagine what the dispute would have been about and am having trouble finding the story about the dispute. Can you direct me to a link where I could read about it? Sounds interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Hmm. I never saw Big Hero 6 and really had no idea what the source material actually was, but now that I've read up on it a bit I can't imagine what the dispute would have been about and am having trouble finding the story about the dispute. Can you direct me to a link where I could read about it? Sounds interesting.
    If you hadn't seen the movie and didn't know what the source material was . . . what made you think Marvel had something to do with the movie?

Don't have a link. I recall reading about it on Bleeding Cool, and that they sourced their story from a report somewhere else. As I recall, the core of the issue was that Marvel wanted to have creative oversight of the project--since it was (very) loosely based on one of their comics, and wanted the movie to be more faithful to the comic--and Disney said "no." There was also some rumbling over producing some new BH6 comics to promote the film.

BTW, it's a pretty good animated feature. Well worth checking out.

squirrel girl will obviously be a more whimsical property. It could have half the budget of a typical Marvel film but if created properly could still be successful. And it won't hurt if the actress has freckles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    If you hadn't seen the movie and didn't know what the source material was . . . what made you think Marvel had something to do with the movie?

Don't have a link. I recall reading about it on Bleeding Cool, and that they sourced their story from a report somewhere else. As I recall, the core of the issue was that Marvel wanted to have creative oversight of the project--since it was (very) loosely based on one of their comics, and wanted the movie to be more faithful to the comic--and Disney said "no." There was also some rumbling over producing some new BH6 comics to promote the film.

BTW, it's a pretty good animated feature. Well worth checking out.
    I didn't THINK that it was based on a Marvel property, I vaguely KNEW that it was. I must have read that online at some point, but didn't really care enough about it to investigate the source material. From what you've said it sounds like Marvel didn't really have anything to do with the production, but Disney acquired the property and did it whether Marvel wanted them to or not. Just yesterday I read this article about some of the changes from the source material http://www.ew.com/article/2014/11/10...ic-differences, and those were the ones that I couldn't understand why Marvel would object to.

It sounds like a decent kids flick and I take your recommendation in good faith. Someday I will check it out; I generally don't seek out kids movies but I'll watch them with my nieces from time to time.