View Poll Results: Will you be picking up any of Futures End?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

30 83.33%
  • No, not one single issue of it.

6 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Futures End (speculation for the September line-wide #1's) [SPOILERS for main series]

So, I recently have word that due for publishing in September are Futures End themed issues of every title DC would be publishing in Sep. That's 41 I think. Not sure if this includes the standard Futures End maxiseries or not. Anyway. We should be nice and confine all speculation on what we think the future holds for each of our most loved characters.

I just put in my order for about half of them. All the gotham-related titles (as per usual) plus select others.

So in the first three issues of Futures End (maxiseries) we have the death of Green Arrow revealed, which means Ollie dies in 5yrs mainstream. Then I looked at twaf's page on the Green Arrow Futures End (https://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Green-A...Ed%29___452856) which reads "Green Arrow is dead - and his replacement finally stands revealed!" --- At this point my mind did spirals. I mean... It COULD be Damien right... right... I liked that kid...

Anyway. Lets discuss your hopes and dreams for these #1's, and the rest of Futures End in general.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'll be picking up my regular books that month along with Wonder Woman since Charles Soule is writing it that month. As of now, nothing in the previews or reviews for the FE maxi-series has interested me enough to pick it up.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Well, some of them could be interesting and fun, but as this future will never come to be, we probably shouldn't put too much emphasis on them. I know Tom King, who is writing the Grayson book that month, has said he views all this as just a fun riff on events that can never happen. Probably many other creators have the same take.

I'm going to be picking up a very reduced amount of books that month, basically only ones with creators I truly like or ounces that look dumb in a fun way like Harley.

If we learned anything from Villains Month, it's that these books hardly make a difference or are worth it in the long run, definitely not feeling obliged to pick up every issue of each series I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Well, some of them could be interesting and fun, but as this future will never come to be, we probably shouldn't put too much emphasis on them. I know Tom King, who is writing the Grayson book that month, has said he views all this as just a fun riff on events that can never happen. Probably many other creators have the same take.
    That's fair enough. However also consider that once these events are printed, even if they don't end up being how things turn out, they're there, and if it all gets written-off somehow there still may be writers that want to pull elements or characters from it. Kinda like when Marvel did that colliding of earths thingo and then they're like, okay lets just switch some characters around, take some new ones, etc. I'd also draw a parallel with DC's own Earth 2, and how their characters can cross over. This upcoming Multiversity may even affect it.

Oh and on an unrelated note: Constantine with the fate helm *drools*

BANNED

At one time, there was some concern that these were alternate futures from even the future depicted in Futures' End, but with things like the Green Arrow solicit, that seems to be less likely now, which is good. I'm sure there are situations where the characters in a book aren't really a part of Futures' End anyway, so those writers could just do whatever they wanted.

So all in all, as long as it all ties together, I'm onboard. I've ordered them all.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    At one time, there was some concern that these were alternate futures from even the future depicted in Futures' End, but with things like the Green Arrow solicit, that seems to be less likely now, which is good. I'm sure there are situations where the characters in a book aren't really a part of Futures' End anyway, so those writers could just do whatever they wanted.

So all in all, as long as it all ties together, I'm onboard. I've ordered them all.
    What a boss. I'm going to be backordering the other half of them for a month after XD
    Yeah and another thing that raises a few concerns for me, Constantine with the fate helm... Please refrain from firing immediately, I know little of Dr Fate, but I saw on a tv show once that the current Fate was Zatara, is this cannon? And if so, would that imply that COnstantine has killed Zatanna's father? ...or even worse, is all this happening under my nose in JLD which I've so far failed to pick up? I know she's ousted him as team leader, not sure why though.

Green Arrow and Flash,thinking about Batman and Batman&Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Type View Post
    That's fair enough. However also consider that once these events are printed, even if they don't end up being how things turn out, they're there, and if it all gets written-off somehow there still may be writers that want to pull elements or characters from it. Kinda like when Marvel did that colliding of earths thingo and then they're like, okay lets just switch some characters around, take some new ones, etc. I'd also draw a parallel with DC's own Earth 2, and how their characters can cross over. This upcoming Multiversity may even affect it.
    Right. Consider that KINGDOM COME wasn't really intended to be "the" future of the DC Universe--in fact, there were things in it which, at the time, made it impossible for it to be DC's future. (I forget what, exactly--maybe it was that certain characters were alive who were dead in the regular DCU.) However, after it was published, DC kept sourcing from it, so we saw characters and costumes from KC gradually introduced into the DCU as if it were moving in that direction.

The death of Magog in JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST kind of killed any hope of KC being DC's future, though.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'll probably take a look at some of them: Grayson among the rest but as I've really got no interest in the Future's End weekly I'm not putting money out on these, except for the Grayson one since it's a new title and I want to give it my support. Outside of that I'll be getting my Non- N52 DC pulls and my regular non-DC pulls that month and that will be it. I might read the trade at a later date if anything becomes relevant to titles I'm reading later but if nothing does then I probably won't even do that much.

I expect the titles will have quite a spread in quality like with all titles and that some might even be relevant to the weekly in some way.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

So in the first three issues of Futures End (maxiseries) we have the death of Green Arrow revealed, which means Ollie dies in 5yrs mainstream. Then I looked at twaf's page on the Green Arrow Futures End (https://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Green-A...Ed%29___452856) which reads "Green Arrow is dead - and his replacement finally stands revealed!" --- At this point my mind did spirals. I mean... It COULD be Damien right... right... I liked that kid...
    Damian's more likely to be the new "Heretic" Batman is fighting in the B&R tie in, I think. As for the new Green Arrow, I'm hoping for the return of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green...(Connor_Hawke)

So far so good. If this book stays this good ill be picking it up in Sept. The one shots are a diffeeent story. I'll probably get the bat related titles, Superboy, any of the superman titles that explain the mask, possibly a few others. I love one shots, and possible future type stories. So ya I'm in.

Havent put much thought into it really. The first issue of Future's End was solid, but I'll trade wait the series. Not exceptionally interested in the one-shots, with maybe an exception or two (such as Booster) and not really planning on buying the tie-ins or any crazy foiled, 3D gimmick-y things.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

What a boss. I'm going to be backordering the other half of them for a month after XD
    Yeah and another thing that raises a few concerns for me, Constantine with the fate helm... Please refrain from firing immediately, I know little of Dr Fate, but I saw on a tv show once that the current Fate was Zatara, is this cannon? And if so, would that imply that COnstantine has killed Zatanna's father? ...or even worse, is all this happening under my nose in JLD which I've so far failed to pick up? I know she's ousted him as team leader, not sure why though.
    That business of Zatara taking over as Dr. Fate was just on the Young Justice TV show. In the comics, Zatara has never been Dr. Fate - in fact, Zatara died a while back. I don't know if we know where Zatara is in the current continuity. Currently, the Dr. Fate in "Earth 2" is a guy named Khalid Ben-Hassin. Of course, some other stuff might have happened over the 5 years, so we don't know who had it when Constantine got it.

I think the only book I might be getting is Forever People. Maybe JL + JLU...

Im not getting WW becuase it has nothing to do with the main title...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut