Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EXCL. PREVIEW: Bendis' Explosive "Uncanny X-Men" #600 Finale

Brian Michael Bendis answers all questions and brings his X-Men saga to a close with the best artists from his run in this epic, oversized finale.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

I will believe this when the book actually hits stores. Probably some time in the 22nd century if they keep pushing it back as they have.

It is absolutely pathetic how Marvel is treating it's flagship franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    I will believe this when the book actually hits stores. Probably some time in the 22nd century if they keep pushing it back as they have.

The Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

The X-men haven't been the flagship for a while, now they are like dirt to them.

The notion of what title or franchise is marvels flagship is pretty debatable.

I'd argue Avengers but you can certainly argue Uncanny Avengers is a VERY important book to the company and has been for decades.

I'm sure there's some sort of reason it was delayed... I doubt it's on Bendis end since he cranks out his stuff like a machine gun fires bullets. Maybe it factors into the Secret War delays or the 8 month time jump for the All New titles. Honestly I don't know. We might get a better idea when the book comes out and see what sort of effect the story has on the present status quo.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The notion of what title or franchise is marvels flagship is pretty debatable.

I'd argue Avengers but you can certainly argue Uncanny Avengers is a VERY important book to the company and has been for decades.

I'm sure there's some sort of reason it was delayed... I doubt it's on Bendis end since he cranks out his stuff like a machine gun fires bullets. Maybe it factors into the Secret War delays or the 8 month time jump for the All New titles. Honestly I don't know. We might get a better idea when the book comes out and see what sort of effect the story has on the present status quo.
    I believe that's actually Uncanny X-Men.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I believe that's actually Uncanny X-Men.
    My bad. That's what I meant.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Going forward, the X-Men will be relegated to second tier status. Over time they will become this weird corner of the Marvel Universe that has a lot of cult followers.

Everything is about Spidey, the Avengers, the Guardians and the Inhumans now.

It was delayed because of Secret Wars. The higher ups thought releasing it right on the verge of Secret Wars would blunt the importance of the book as it sets up where the characters will be going in the relaunch. Why set that up 6 months in an advance, when you can just delay it and release it a few weeks before you release all the new X-Men titles?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-31-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Going forward, the X-Men will be relegated to second tier status. Over time they will become this weird corner of the Marvel Universe that has a lot of cult followers.

It was delayed because of Secret Wars. The higher ups thought releasing it right on the verge of Secret Wars would blunt the importance of the book as it sets up where the characters will be going in the relaunch. Why set that up 6 months in an advance, when you can just delay it and release it a few weeks before you release all the new X-Men titles?
    Though I think X-Men is and always will be a very popular and top selling book, at the same time I always felt even when the book was at it's pinnacle it was sort of it's own weird corner of the MU. In a lot of ways the franchise has always worked better off in it's own corner doing it's own thing. So to me at least, all this doesn't feel all that different.

As far as the delays... if the book is essentially a set up book for the relaunch then yeah.. it makes sense to delay it.

Though I think X-Men is and always will be a very popular and top selling book, at the same time I always felt even when the book was at it's pinnacle it was sort of it's own weird corner of the MU. In a lot of ways the franchise has always worked better off in it's own corner doing it's own thing. So to me at least, all this doesn't feel all that different.

As far as the delays... if the book is essentially a set up book for the relaunch then yeah.. it makes sense to delay it.
    This book takes place 16 months, (and several years), before ANAD Marvel; it has nothing to do with it, or even with Secret Wars.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post

Uh no. Unless they added story uncanny X-men #600 does NOT set up new Marvel and Extraordinary X-Men. Bending final story takes place before the Time Runs Out story not to mention there 8 months after secret wars that something happens. Beast little "Trial" has nothing to do with Lemires run
    X-Men Forever

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

A flagship, by definition, is one of a group that is considered the best, most important, most valued, most visible, and/or the most well known. This condition is fluid; at one time, the iPod was Apple's flagship product. No matter how well you like iPods or prefer them to iPhones, you can't really make strong argument that they are Apple's flagship product. Likewise, at one time, Fantastic Four was Marvel's flagship franchise, and X-Men was certainly Marvel's flagship franchise up until the last several years. Similarly to iPods, you can't really make a good argument that the X-Men is Marvel's flagship franchise. That doesn't mean you can't like them better or believe they should be the flagship, but they are most certainly not. The Avengers are cemented into popular culture; they made it to the big time. Even the team's individual members are household names. They have a ton of titles that sell, almost all of their individual members have titles. They are the most recognized, most popular, and most valued franchise; therefore, they are the flagship. I'm not saying this to disparage the X-Men (I LOVE the X-Men), but I love Fantastic Four as well, and it's just a fact that neither of these franchises are #1. IMO, that is mostly due to the fact that the Avengers have ascended, as opposed to X-Men declining. The tastes of "the herd" changes over time, and X-Men and Spider-Man are still firmly in second and third place. This isn't a "if you ain't first, you're last" situation.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-31-2015 at 09:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    A flagship, by definition, is one of a group that is considered the best, most important, most valued, most visible, and/or the most well known. This condition is fluid; at one time, the iPod was Apple's flagship product. No matter how well you like iPods or prefer them to iPhones, you can't really make strong argument that they are Apple's flagship product. Likewise, at one time, Fantastic Four was Marvel's flagship franchise, and X-Men was certainly Marvel's flagship franchise up until the last several years. Similarly to iPods, you can't really make a good argument that the X-Men is Marvel's flagship franchise. That doesn't mean you can't like them better or believe they should be the flagship, but they are most certainly not. The Avengers are cemented into popular culture; they made it to the big time. Even the team's individual members are household names. They have a ton of titles that sell, almost all of their individual members have titles. They are the most recognized, most popular, and most valued franchise; therefore, they are the flagship. I'm not saying this to disparage the X-Men (I LOVE the X-Men), but I love Fantastic Four as well, and it's just a fact that neither of these franchises are #1. IMO, that is mostly due to the fact that the Avengers have ascended, as opposed to X-Men declining. The tastes of "the herd" changes over time, and X-Men and Spider-Man are still firmly in second and third place. This isn't a "if you ain't first, you're last" situation.
    Well said!!
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-31-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    I agree and you can assign different kinds of flagship titles. For me, the Fantastic Four will also be The Flagship title historically speaking. The X-Men launched a bit later but then was cancelled. It's definitive run doesn't start until decades after the FF started it all.

Commercially speaking, for a long time that would be Spider-Man. The X-Men were on top for a while but still, Spidey is probably Marvel's most consistent commercial success with sales, licensing from films, toys, cartoons, etc.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-31-2015 at 09:41 AM.

I agree with you on Spider-Man.
    Bendis as biased as he is being the writer of the new Iron Man book said in a interview about it: "He's probably the most well-known super hero in the world alongside Batman." Just lol.
    Then there is some news about the new Iron Man book supposedly having 200.000 pre-orders and it's treated like something incredible when the last Amazing Spider-Man #1 sold over 500.000 copies just like that and was Marvels best selling ongoing the whole time. Heck Spider-Gwen #1 has sold over 250.000 copies and was one of the best selling comics too and that is a new alternative Gwen Stacy who doesn't have any kind of movies, games, animated series or comic book history behind her.
    This whole movie rights deal has certainly made Marvel pretty good at stating things differently then they actually are. Spider-Man will always be Marvels number 1 franchise no matter how much the wish it would Iron Man or Captain America or some of the other Avenger/GotG/Inhuman buddies. Even their Civil War movie will have Spidey in it. They can't afford to give him the finger, downplay him and pretend he doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-31-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"