Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Walker Explores Luke Cage's Evolution, Ties that Bind in "Power Man & Iron Fist"

Writer David Walker discusses reviving Marvel's premier buddy book, "Power Man & Iron Fist," and the enduring friendship between the two leads.

Full article here.

Love this interview. David Walker definitely seems to know what he's doing and is passionate about both characters. Great to see him so excited for this book.

I did like how they addressed the concern having so many supporting characters possibly being involved, particularly Jessica Jones. It's not a relationship particularly easy to work around given the context if one prefers to focus on the title characters. And like Walker mentioned, I hope it's done in a way that still allows Power Man & Iron Fist to still be the stars.

I'm glad the creative team is reaching back into their rogue's gallery and possibly attempting to modernize some of the kooky villains of the past. I really look forward to that. The original Power man & Iron Fist is an epic collection. Truly some of the best comics has to offer from that time.

I'm also really looking forward to the themes Walker expressed are inspiring him. I especially like how he explains their friendship and how important it is. Their friendship is something we haven't really seen developed or even touched upon in depth much since the original series way back when.

So I think that's a huge part of it, but I also think that just from a visual stand point these guys look so different, and even in terms of the background of who their characters are they're very different. I think that speaks to the power of what a friendship can be. Because there are so many of us that have these friends where you sort of sit back and look at them and you go, "How are we friends? How did this happen?" [Laughs] And Luke and Danny are that way.

Take my money already!
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

I can't remember ever having read a David Walker book, but as a big Iron Fist fan, I have a vested interest in this book.

Having read the interview, I am really looking forward to what he and Greene have to offer - building the book around their friendship, rather than having that be a side-note is fantastic, it's what makes the two of them work so well together as characters and stories stemming from that can only be considered more interesting.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Love the characters and am intrigued by everything Walker said in the interview. I'm in!

I was on the fence, but this interview just sold me on the series.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

Seeing that book for the first time at about 10 years-old led to me thinking, "This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I want to do this." A lot of other writers will talk about how they'd love to work on Spider-Man, X-Men or all these other things, but I was always the kid who was like, "These are the characters I want to work with."
    this is the sort of thing that gets me excited... he isn't writing these two because its a stepping stone to one fo the Big 6... he actually wants to write them
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Niffleheim

He does great interviews but his books lacks fun.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    He does great interviews but his books lacks fun.
    what else has he written?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Cyborg over at DC. The Shaft comic over at Dynamite.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Cyborg and Shaft.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Incredible Member

Art is cool, but Luke Cage reminds me of Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince for some reason.

I was excited about this from the get-go, but this interview definitely reassures me that if nothing else, he has a great love of the characters and their history and plans to build upon it to move the characters forward as opposed to the "let's tear things down to rebuild them up in a new way" mentality. News has been pretty quiet on the Netflix Iron Fist series - maybe this book will help them figure it out.

In terms of mining the past, I'd love to see El Aguila. And if Marvel has some weird thing about using mutants, maybe Alejandro's teen son Indigo can take up the foil to avenge his fallen father. I imagine a black version of El Aguila's costume with the eagle on his chest (yes, Alejandro's last name is Montoya... )

I'd also love including guys like Dakota North and She-Hulk when the need for their services are required. And yeah, bring back Sabretooth and Constrictor! Throw in some Morbius, Hobgoblin, even Kingpin! (is he still around?)

Sounds great, looks great. I hope Danny is still Pei's thunderer, though I'd imagine there are people who would object to him having being responsible for a young child (the same people who consider Jessica Jones and Dani Cage to be objectionable burdens to Luke's character).

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Cyborg and Shaft.
    is it even possible to make them two non-boring? lol

Man I was thinking after Secret Wars I would save a ton of cash with a nice small pull list.

Before:
    Ms. Marvel
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Avengers World
    Inhuman

After:
    Captain America
    Ms. Marvel
    Karnak
    Uncanny Inhumans
    All New Inhumans
    Spider-Man
    Nighthawk
    Powerman and Iron Fist
    Ultimates
    New Avengers
    All New All Different Avengers
    Hyperion
    Squadron Supreme

Bless you and damn you, Marvel.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 10-30-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum