Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
I wouldn't say All-New Hawkeye retconned her origins. It added a bit of extra information, sure, but I don't think it directly erased anything from Heinberg's Young Avengers. As far as we know, she was still sexually assaulted, and that's what really pushed her to be a hero, even though she already had some admiration for Hawkeye. I try to keep Clint's involvement on her origin as little as possible in my own headcanon, just because I do prefer Kate becoming a hero for herself and not for anyone else. That's what made her stand out from the other Young Avengers. As for her dad, we never knew too much about him anyway, so I wasn't bothered by him becoming a villain. I actually liked the story.

And while I LOVE AmeriKate and their dynamic, yeah, I have to agree it feels like fanservice a lot of the time and it's annoying when it comes at the expense of people who were friends with Kate for longer. It was really refreshing when Nick Spencer actually remembered Cassie was supposed to be Kate's best friend too, but of course no one followed up on that. Maybe there's an in-universe reason for that. I mean, maybe Kate just grew apart from her older friends and started hanging out with other people more. It does happen in real life. Still sucks, though. Anyway, that's why we need a new YA book, honestly. Those characters just need to be in each other's orbits again.

I don't mind that writers tend to ignore the rape, it always seems iffy to me. She didn't need it to become a hero, that wasn't her motivation. What inspired her was that night at the church, disarming the hostage taker herself and helping the boys, it was Cassie approaching her on the street and just unapologetically saying "I don't care if I don't have any powers, I'm going to join them and be a hero because I can". That's the part that I feel writers have completely forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
Kate's in California, Cassie's in Florida. And Wiccan and Hulkling are in New York. That's likely the reason they're not seen together much.
That might be a good in universe reason if not for the fact that Billy can teleport. America can teleport. Tommy can be anywhere in the country in minutes.
And last I recall Noh-Varr lives in his spaceship orbiting earth so why isn't distance an issue for him?

Clint, America, Quentin and Gwen weren't living in California before WCA started but Thompson wanted them on the team. So she came up with reasons to get them there.

The fact is that writers aren't interested in using those characters from the Heinberg run so they aren't given the same treatment.