View Poll Results: Who is your favourite YOUNG AVENGER?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • HAWKEYE [Kate Bishop]

    53 18.28%
  • HULKLING [Theodroe 'Teddy' Altman]

    17 5.86%
  • IRON LAD [Nathaniel Richards]

    5 1.72%
  • LOKI, God of Mischief

    25 8.62%
  • MARVEL BOY [Noh-vah]

    10 3.45%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

    33 11.38%
  • PATRIOT [Elijah 'Eli' Bradley]

    33 11.38%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    12 4.14%
  • SPEED [Thomas 'Tommy' Shepherd]

    17 5.86%
  • STATURE [Cassandra 'Cassie' Lang]

    16 5.52%
  • VISION [Jonas]

    4 1.38%
  • WICCAN [William 'Billy' Kaplan]

    65 22.41%
Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1377
  1. #31
    Junior Member Loulou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    He already showed up again.
    He was in Matt Fraction's FF. The one with Scott Lang.
    Working alongside Doom, which seemed a bit weird all things considered. Though I suppose he was trying to cheat Doom out of ultimate power.
    Huh I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to put it on my To Read list :-)

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,465

    Default

    So, one of my favorite things about the Young Avengers was the bit of bait-n-switch on the original cover. We see a big green 'hulking' figure, who has *nothing* to do with the Hulk. A young man in Thor's colors and a winged helmet/tiara thing, flying and throwing lightning from a stick, and even calling himself 'Asgardian,' and he's not a Thor legacy, or Asgardian, or having anything to do with Thor or Asgard. The 'lad' in an Iron Man like suit? Nothing to do with Stark. Even the young woman in purple carrying a bow and (eventually) calling herself Hawkeye? Not a carny. Not a reformed crook. Not a wise-cracker. She's a young socialite who brassed her way into superheroing, making her far more of a *Wasp* legacy than a Hawkeye legacy!

    I loved that the various Young Avengers did often have ties to various Avengers past and present, but they were almost never 'what they appeared on the tin.'

    Following in that tradition, it could be fun if some of the other names on the Vision's list (for now, unexplored and left open for future development) also were sideways legacies. Everyone would expect a Stark legacy to be someone in a suit of armor, but imagine some kid suffering from a neurological condition receiving experimental implants designed from back when Tony was using a chip to repair spinal damage and regain the power to walk. The teen appears to be super-athletic and acrobatic and a gifted fighter, perhaps some sort of Captain America legacy, only, he's got Stark-tech running all through him, allowing him to walk and move. A Hulk legacy would be expected to be someone green-skinned and hyper-muscular, but a slender normal-skin-toned woman in a fancy dress could call herself La Brujah Verde, and seem like a green-suited Scarlet Witch knockoff, using gamma-derived energy powers under a big show of mysticism instead of the expected brute strength. The new martial artist appears to be all Iron Fist-y, with some fancy named 'chi maneuvers' that allow him to project flame or electricity, only because he's not advertising that those attacks come from Makluan tech concealed in his bracers, because he's not the Iron Fist legacy, he's the Swordsman legacy (melee fighter equipped with alien tech and sent to spy on the heroes by the Mandarin!).

    Not *every* character needs to be a fake out (Eli, Cassie and Jonas certainly weren't), but it could be neat twist for new names from the list to include a few more that appear to be from Column A, but are instead from Column B.

  3. #33
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,982

    Default

    Sutekh: What are your answers for these 10 questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Inspired by nopozyzy in the Gambit thread, some YA questions to get the ball rolling.

    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance? (doesn't have to end in them dating)
    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So, one of my favorite things about the Young Avengers was the bit of bait-n-switch on the original cover. We see a big green 'hulking' figure, who has *nothing* to do with the Hulk. A young man in Thor's colors and a winged helmet/tiara thing, flying and throwing lightning from a stick, and even calling himself 'Asgardian,' and he's not a Thor legacy, or Asgardian, or having anything to do with Thor or Asgard. The 'lad' in an Iron Man like suit? Nothing to do with Stark. Even the young woman in purple carrying a bow and (eventually) calling herself Hawkeye? Not a carny. Not a reformed crook. Not a wise-cracker. She's a young socialite who brassed her way into superheroing, making her far more of a *Wasp* legacy than a Hawkeye legacy!

    I loved that the various Young Avengers did often have ties to various Avengers past and present, but they were almost never 'what they appeared on the tin.'

    Following in that tradition, it could be fun if some of the other names on the Vision's list (for now, unexplored and left open for future development) also were sideways legacies. Everyone would expect a Stark legacy to be someone in a suit of armor, but imagine some kid suffering from a neurological condition receiving experimental implants designed from back when Tony was using a chip to repair spinal damage and regain the power to walk. The teen appears to be super-athletic and acrobatic and a gifted fighter, perhaps some sort of Captain America legacy, only, he's got Stark-tech running all through him, allowing him to walk and move. A Hulk legacy would be expected to be someone green-skinned and hyper-muscular, but a slender normal-skin-toned woman in a fancy dress could call herself La Brujah Verde, and seem like a green-suited Scarlet Witch knockoff, using gamma-derived energy powers under a big show of mysticism instead of the expected brute strength. The new martial artist appears to be all Iron Fist-y, with some fancy named 'chi maneuvers' that allow him to project flame or electricity, only because he's not advertising that those attacks come from Makluan tech concealed in his bracers, because he's not the Iron Fist legacy, he's the Swordsman legacy (melee fighter equipped with alien tech and sent to spy on the heroes by the Mandarin!).

    Not *every* character needs to be a fake out (Eli, Cassie and Jonas certainly weren't), but it could be neat twist for new names from the list to include a few more that appear to be from Column A, but are instead from Column B.
    See, for me, I'd rather move away from "legacy" entirely. That was something Gillen's run played around with a bit. The team really did move away from being legacy heroes, with the exception of David, who was actually (potentially) a legacy for Patriot - one of the original members of the Young Avengers. Gillen's run moved towards the team making their own legacy. America even brought that up at the party, telling Billy that he'll never be Captain America, that they're never going to be the original Avengers, and that they need to just be themselves.

    So that's the direction I'd prefer to see the Young Avengers go. Not filling a legacy, but making one.

  5. #35
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,982

    Default

    I too am in favor of seeing our gang paving their own paths, forging their unique identities and finding/pursuing what drives them to be heroes etc. beyond that of their initial Avengers Fail Safe program that brought them together.
    I mean, not that the Fail Safe isn't important, but I'd hate to see any members being defined by their predecessors actions etc.
    Like.. just because Clint makes X,Y,Z choices it doesn't mean that Kate should (not that she would) follow suit simply out of respect or some sense of entitlement.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I too am in favor of seeing our gang paving their own paths, forging their unique identities and finding/pursuing what drives them to be heroes etc. beyond that of their initial Avengers Fail Safe program that brought them together.
    I mean, not that the Fail Safe isn't important, but I'd hate to see any members being defined by their predecessors actions etc.
    Like.. just because Clint makes X,Y,Z choices it doesn't mean that Kate should (not that she would) follow suit simply out of respect or some sense of entitlement.
    Despite liking the start point from Fail safe, I also would *hugely* prefer for Wiccan, in particular, to escape from the 'doomed to retell Wanda's story' situation he's in right now.

    I don't mean 'legacy' like 'every story about Wiccan must be about his reality manipulation and whether or not Wolverine feels that he must be stabbed to death for the greater good,' but 'legacy' in the sense of that the characters do have some family ties or relationships that connect them to the greater Marvel Universe, and aren't, like the original Runaways, only related to brand new characters invented specifically to be their parents, and otherwise totally unique and self-contained.

    By having Teddy, for instance, connected to both Mar-Vell and to the Skrulls, future story potential is lying around, waiting to be explored, or safely able to be ignored, as any individual writer wishes. He's got a built in tie to not just Mar-Vell and the Kree, but also Genis Vell (if he ever returns), to Phyla Vell, even to Carol Danvers. Dead Avengers revealed that the Cosmic Awareness possessed by Mar-Vell could pass on, in that series, to Deathcry, but, that event being long over (and Deathcry herself dead again), it's entirely possible that the cosmic awareness is sort of lingering out there, waiting to bestow itself upon Mar-Vell's newest 'heir,' Teddy, changing his life and possibly dragging the team into some more cosmic / Guardians of the Galaxy-esque adventures (where he might indeed meet Phyla!).

    And yet, none of that is *necessary.* Teddy's various ties to the cosmic Marvel universe needn't ever be mentioned again. He could just hang out on Earth and ignore all that, and be 'Wiccan's boyfriend.'

    Wanda and Pietro's 'legacies' as Magneto's kids and former Mutant Brotherhood members haven't defined their lives, and neither of them has given the X-Men or Acolytes or later Brotherhoods the time of day, really, being mostly Avengers and forging their own paths. I'm sure that no matter who they are (or, in the case of Kate Bishop, etc. are *not*) legacies of, the Young Avengers are better served doing their own thing, and only exploiting the rich connections they may have with the rest of the Marvel Universe as the story leads, to keep them from kind of wandering around aimlessly, with no ties to anyone or reason to do anything.

    As for the questions;
    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance? (doesn't have to end in them dating)
    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?
    1. Original - Hulkling. Newest Iteration - Miss America Chavez.
    2. Heinberg.
    3. Cheung. I love his faces, softer and less angry and angular than many adult heroes. He draws teens with a younger leaner build, as well, not like broad-chested demigods.
    4. Noh-Varr breaking his conditioning and helping them (and the Runaways) get away was fun, and it's a hoot that he's gone on to become an actual teammate!
    5. I like teams over single foes, so the Young Masters, for sure. (Coat of Arms and Sylvie/Enchantress were particularly awesome!)
    6. I thought Kate and Eli was neat, but also Kate and Tommy. Cassie and Jonas, snorefest. Billy and Teddy makes me fear for Teddy, 'cause Billy's *always* 2 seconds away from messing stuff up with whatever his powers are this week...
    7. Battle with the skrulls in the original series.
    8. A tie between 'This completely violates Growing Man continuity!' and 'You need to change your name before the press finds out about you and Teddy and it becomes a national joke.' (Compete with Eli's hand over his mouth, stifling a laugh as Kate says that.)
    9. Kate or Teddy or Eli, taking charge, instead of sitting around letting stuff happen to them. The kids setting themselves up somewhere and establishing themselves. Not having a team or headquarters or 'adult minder' assigned to them by the 'grownup Avengers,' but actually proactively turning themselves into a real team, before Stark or Richards or some other pro-Reg arrogant 'do what I say!' prat decides to 'manage' them 'for their own good.' Don't just be the farm team, and wait to be called up to the 'big leagues.' Make your own big league, kids! Choose your own leaders. Show all those Schisming/Civil Warring/Illuminati-ing 'adults' how to be super-heroes *without* wasting 75% of your energy fighting other super-heroes over matters of procedure!
    10. Finesse or Reptil or one of the X-kids that seems less likely to ever be used other than bus-splosion-fodder over in the X-books, like Indra or Match or Wolf Cub or Loa or Nature Girl or Ernst.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-13-2014 at 01:43 PM.

  7. #37
    U Got Me Str8 Trippin Boo nj06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    What are your thoughts on the Young Masters?


    I thought they had a ton of potential but I was let down by the team. I was really looking forward to reading about them but tbh, this was my least favorite of the YA miniseries. I found the art and writing to be underwhelming.


    The newer members like Black Knight and Mako seem interesting and I hope to see more of them.

    I would like for the Young Masters to reformed into a young Cabal featuring teen villains with the most influence, resources, and powers. I think the Enchantress II has potential be a much greater villain if she were portrayed as a more serious character.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Young Masters?
    Sylvie is one of my favourite characters. I wan to see so much more of her. Coat-of-Arms was cool, too. I didn't much give a damn about the others.

  9. #39
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    Found some preview art for the YA Original Sin tie-in.
    http://www.comicsblend.com/young-ave...-sins-preview/






  10. #40
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Young Masters?
    Sylvie and Coat-of-Arms seemed to be the best of that crew of six, although it seemed like Melter and Executioner had some good potential.

    Egghead and Big Zero just never did it for me. Decent powers, but far too two-dimensional.

  11. #41
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Young Masters?

    Coat of Arms was my favourite. VERY excited for their upcoming appearance in Avengers Undercover. I'd love to see Coat of Arms join the YA; but Sylvie can remain an antagonist... or better yet show up in Loki: Agent of Asgard.

  12. #42
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    Is anyone reading the Original Sins Young Avengers? I've heard literally nothing about it; and (because of the art) was thinking of trade waiting. Is it so blah no YA fans even care???

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Is anyone reading the Original Sins Young Avengers? I've heard literally nothing about it; and (because of the art) was thinking of trade waiting. Is it so blah no YA fans even care???
    The writing's good. The art is horrendous. Ryan North's telling a reasonably fun story, with plenty of funny dialogue that's totally appropriate for the characters, including occasional pointless tangents.

    But like I said, the art is just so, so bad.

  14. #44
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Ryan North's telling a reasonably fun story, with plenty of funny dialogue that's totally appropriate for the characters, including occasional pointless tangents.
    What's the gist of the story? Anything new revealed about any of them? It's the first time we've seen Hulkling and Prodigy properly interact, any ref. to the kiss?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    But like I said, the art is just so, so bad.
    This is why I've trade waited, it's VERY fugley art.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    What's the gist of the story? Anything new revealed about any of them? It's the first time we've seen Hulkling and Prodigy properly interact, any ref. to the kiss?


    This is why I've trade waited, it's VERY fugley art.
    They see a news report about the Avengers arresting Oubliette. Prodigy and Hulkling go tell Noh-Varr about it. The three go down to where the fight happened, and it's been evacuated by SHIELD, but they see a woman in a doorway. They go in and find the Hood. After a fight, he says he wants to help the people in the building. They were all drug addicts who were high when the Eye-bomb went off, and they keep getting knowledge, and it's killing them. Hood wants Prodigy to build a Cerebro to take the knowledge out of their heads, to save them, and to use the knowledge to make the world a better place. But he clearly has ulterior motives.

    No talk about the kiss. But Hulkling shapeshifts his butt to be smaller so he can fit in a chair. That is now a thing that has happened, and it can never un-happen. Also, Noh-Varr thinks Hulkling should shapeshift guns inside himself and have gun eyes.

    Like I said, North is doing some fun stuff. They're all hilarious and awesome. Nothing new revealed about any of them, but they're fun.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •