View Poll Results: Who is your favourite YOUNG AVENGER?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • HAWKEYE [Kate Bishop]

    53 18.28%
  • HULKLING [Theodroe 'Teddy' Altman]

    17 5.86%
  • IRON LAD [Nathaniel Richards]

    5 1.72%
  • LOKI, God of Mischief

    25 8.62%
  • MARVEL BOY [Noh-vah]

    10 3.45%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

    33 11.38%
  • PATRIOT [Elijah 'Eli' Bradley]

    33 11.38%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    12 4.14%
  • SPEED [Thomas 'Tommy' Shepherd]

    17 5.86%
  • STATURE [Cassandra 'Cassie' Lang]

    16 5.52%
  • VISION [Jonas]

    4 1.38%
  • WICCAN [William 'Billy' Kaplan]

    65 22.41%
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 1377
  1. #46
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    They see a news report about the Avengers arresting Oubliette. Prodigy and Hulkling go tell Noh-Varr about it. The three go down to where the fight happened, and it's been evacuated by SHIELD, but they see a woman in a doorway. They go in and find the Hood. After a fight, he says he wants to help the people in the building. They were all drug addicts who were high when the Eye-bomb went off, and they keep getting knowledge, and it's killing them. Hood wants Prodigy to build a Cerebro to take the knowledge out of their heads, to save them, and to use the knowledge to make the world a better place. But he clearly has ulterior motives.

    No talk about the kiss. But Hulkling shapeshifts his butt to be smaller so he can fit in a chair. That is now a thing that has happened, and it can never un-happen. Also, Noh-Varr thinks Hulkling should shapeshift guns inside himself and have gun eyes.

    Like I said, North is doing some fun stuff. They're all hilarious and awesome. Nothing new revealed about any of them, but they're fun.
    Agreed.
    The story itself is entertaining and they all sound appropriately young etc but I feel they could have paired the writer with an equally "unique" and/or "stylized" artist.

  2. #47
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    They see a news report about the Avengers arresting Oubliette. Prodigy and Hulkling go tell Noh-Varr about it. The three go down to where the fight happened, and it's been evacuated by SHIELD, but they see a woman in a doorway. They go in and find the Hood. After a fight, he says he wants to help the people in the building. They were all drug addicts who were high when the Eye-bomb went off, and they keep getting knowledge, and it's killing them. Hood wants Prodigy to build a Cerebro to take the knowledge out of their heads, to save them, and to use the knowledge to make the world a better place. But he clearly has ulterior motives.
    Thank-you so much for the synopsis. Sounds fun. So no "original sins" for the YA (yet...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    No talk about the kiss. But Hulkling shapeshifts his butt to be smaller so he can fit in a chair. That is now a thing that has happened, and it can never un-happen. Also, Noh-Varr thinks Hulkling should shapeshift guns inside himself and have gun eyes.
    Hmmmm... I don't feel Hulkling is someone who has a big ol' ass; but maybe his ass is meaty. Oh no... this canon choice is confusing

  3. #48
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post


    Hmmmm... I don't feel Hulkling is someone who has a big ol' ass; but maybe his ass is meaty. Oh no... this canon choice is confusing
    With the big and greening, so too comes the big and hulking body bits.

  4. #49
    Fantastic Member WonderBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    428

    Default

    I sorta feel like I'm joining the party late but I thought I would answer these. Young Avengers is a really important series to me.

    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Definitely Billy/Wiccan. I love characters with magical abilities in general, and the fact Billy was a guy in his teens who was gay was very relatable for me.

    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    I think the original Allan Heinberg for creating these characters, bu Gillen is a very close second.

    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    I loved the way Cheung drew them on the original series, but I really love Mckelvie's artwork too, it's bright and animated.

    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    I always loved the crossovers the team had with the Runaways, the two teen hero teams.

    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    I liked the original villain of the series Kang, I thought he was a good foe for them, and I also liked Mother.

    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance? (doesn't have to end in them dating)
    Definitely Billy and Teddy, they're just so cute together.

    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    I liked their battle against Kang, and also against the kree and Super-Skrull

    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    I loved the opening seem of Gillen's run, with Kate and Marvel Boy "Everybody should try it". I also really liked Marvel Boy rescuing the team from the club.

    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    Billy since he's my favourite character, but I like it when all the team members get focus and development.

    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster? I like the current roster of the team but I would add Young Vision.
    Last edited by WonderBoy; 07-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.

  5. #50
    Mighty Member Likewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    With the big and greening, so too comes the big and hulking body bits.
    so you are calling hulkling big green.


  6. #51
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    With the big and greening, so too comes the big and hulking body bits.
    *blushes*

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Definitely Billy/Wiccan. I love characters with magical abilities in general, and the fact Billy was a guy in his teens who was gay was very relatable for me.
    You sir... have EXCELLENT taste!



    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    I think the original Allan Heinberg for creating these characters, bu Gillen is a very close second.

    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    I loved the way Cheung drew them on the original series, but I really love Mckelvie's artwork too, it's bright and animated.

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    I always loved the crossovers the team had with the Runaways, the two teen hero teams.
    Between "Original Sin" and Season 4, I hope we get another YA/Runaways mini.

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    I liked the original villain of the series Kang, I thought he was a good foe for them, and I also liked Mother.
    The one thing I think Young Avengers needs is more solid villains. I hope the next season sees the RETURN of their former foes, to help create a "major threat" villain unique to the team. Like the female assassin Skrull, Iron Lad or another PatriNot. Hell, even Leah. (MoM was awesome, but she needs a break before coming back)

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance? (doesn't have to end in them dating)
    Definitely Billy and Teddy, they're just so cute together.
    Tots!


  7. #52
    Fantastic Member WonderBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    You sir... have EXCELLENT taste!

    The one thing I think Young Avengers needs is more solid villains. I hope the next season sees the RETURN of their former foes, to help create a "major threat" villain unique to the team. Like the female assassin Skrull, Iron Lad or another PatriNot. Hell, even Leah. (MoM was awesome, but she needs a break before coming back)
    Aha, thank you sir. It seems your taste is equally excellent!

    That's exactly what I was thinking when I was answering that question. They don't really have any definitive villains that they face. They do need a "major threat" villain like you say that is unique to the team. Hopefully that's something we'll see next volume.

  8. #53
    Taker of notes. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Long-time thread lurker, first-time thread poster! And long-time YA fan, too! Heinberg's series is what brought me back into comics, and #1 was the very first book I ever purchased with my own money (a small accomplishment, but always something I've given sentimental value to).

    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Hard to pick just one, but I'd have to go with Hulkling, followed very close by Ms. America. Hulkling's got a ridiculously cool visual, awesome powers that he knows how to rock, and has been through so much but has kept his head held high. He's the perennial survivor, the guy who can deal with his mother being killed, his entire lineage being revealed, his boyfriend's crazy life, and possibly being just a figment of an imagination. Hulkling rocks.

    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    The stuff that Gillen did was amazing, don't get me wrong, but Heinberg's first story featuring Kang was gold in setting up the characters, their relationship with the Avengers and the wider Marvel world, and giving them a threat that was both tangible but seemingly unconquerable. What I like about the YA is that more often than not we see that they have to face these huge end-of-the-world threats. They started off with Kang, stopped another Kree-Skrull War, battled Noh-Varr, clashed with Norman Osborn's criminal army more than once, and defeated a trans-dimensional parasite. I can't get enough of this team.

    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    I love Jim Cheung's work, and the amount of detail he put between the huge scale brawls between the Avengers, Young Avengers, Kree, and Skrulls and the equally impressive and character sprawling scenes in Children's Crusade is nothing short of impressive.

    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    Magneto! His interactions with the team were priceless in YA:CC, and hearing him refer to the members of the team by their codenames brought a new found level of...respect, I suppose it could be called, to the team. It may sound strange, but when you've got the freaking Master of Magnetism speaking to you like an ally and trying to form a plan with you, you know you're more than a drop in the big wide pool of heroes (or maybe a drop in the big wide pool of villains )

    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    The Mother parasite was definitely the creepiest villain I've seen in a long while, and she was a formidable threat on more than one occasion. The team's conflict with her spanned months, crossed dimensions, brought a good percent of the team to their knees more than once, but ultimately ended up solidifying their unity and strength together. And really, isn't that what a good villain should do?

    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance? (doesn't have to end in them dating)
    Of course Teddy and Billy would be number one, but I just can't help but think how great a Loki/Prodigy relationship would be. That kiss!

    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    Toss up between the Kree-Skrull War Redux (Kate Bishop kinda sorta getting a codename, Speed being a total badass and ripping aliens to shreds, Prodigy saving Captain America's life, and the team outsmarting not just the Avengers but the two alien armies in the midst of conflict) and Ms. America getting a lot of blue and green on her hands

    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    Again, I can't choose just one! The new costume reveal, Chavez's origin story, and Eli's grandfather showing he's a true Super Soldier are all up there, but I'd have to go with Prodigy's definition of what love is. Heartwarming, heartbreaking, heartmoving, heartemotingallovertheplace.



    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    I don't think I'd want it to be too focused in on any one character. I'm enjoying what Ryan North has been doing with the small team working together to bring down the Hood, more stuff like that would be a lot of fun. Mostly, if the Avengers are the premiere super heroes, the YA should be the top line amongst the young heroes in the Marvel universe, and they should be proving they deserve that spot.

    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?
    Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Rockslide, Anole, a bit more matured Molly Hayes, Anachronism, and Zero-G would all be great additions to the team, to name just a few.

  9. #54
    Unapologetic Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Department H
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    The thing I hated about Gillen's YA was the focus on style over substance. As if something cursory and fleeting as style would ever truly have any long lasting impact on pop culture. It really damaged these characters as a result, but that's just my opinion.

  10. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The thing I hated about Gillen's YA was the focus on style over substance. As if something cursory and fleeting as style would ever truly have any long lasting impact on pop culture. It really damaged these characters as a result, but that's just my opinion.
    Well, title aside, I think they were going for both style and substance. But when you've got a team like Gillen and McKelvie, yeah, style's going to be a major part of the book. They do stylish work. Especially McKelvie.

    But I also think the lack of a long-term impact might be part of the point. Part of the theme of the run. When you're 18, everything feels important, like the decisions you're making will define the rest of your life. A few years later, you realize, nope, it actually wasn't all that important after all. Being 18, for the average person, does ultimately come down to style over substance.

  11. #56
    Taker of notes. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    As if something cursory and fleeting as style would ever truly have any long lasting impact on pop culture.
    It could be argued, though, that style is how we define pop culture, and how we mark it and identify it throughout the ages.

  12. #57
    Fantastic Member Magnito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    467

    Default

    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Billy. I liked Billy immediately. If I was magicial (and 10 years younger) I would be Billy. Similar build, similar hair (old hair style, not his new one), big geek, gay, little sarcastic. He's the first comic character I ever really saw myself in and have been a big fan of his right from the get go.

    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    Heinberg gets big credit for all he did, but I loved Gillen's new series. Really, the only YA appearance I didn't care for was the first crossover with Runaways. Mostly because of some poor characterization of the other team (Nico, more than anyone).

    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    Jim Cheung

    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    I love the Runaways. Love them (especially Molly), but they never get written properly in crossovers. Might go Jessica Jones. She's pretty awesome too.

    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    Probably Mother. First villain that felt like theirs and not borrowed from another roster. Unless you count the Young Masters, Mother was better than them.

    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance?
    Billy and Teddy. Obviously. For years I just wanted to meet a "Teddy" of my own.

    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    Tough one. Probably Kree-Skrull. Loved the other young hero cameos in the final battle against Mother's hoards too.

    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    The first time Billy and Teddy kissed on panel, I remember thinking how amazing that was and how happy I was in the progress it showed. But the scene leading up to (and including) my avatar was great too. Love concurs all.


    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    I love Billy, but he just had the spotlight. I feel somone new needs an arc. Giving Hulkling another full story would be great. Or Kate.

    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?
    As much as I wish they would just do a new Runaways, it seems unlikely. I'd love Molly to get more time (and if the young avengers can grow 2 years to be 18, Molly could be 15 by now. That's a good age to join the gang).
    But if I want the Runaways to stay all together, the new Ms. Marvel seems the logical pick. Especially given she is making herself a legacy hero, which is kinda what the YA is all about.

  13. #58
    Rookie Member RickyDricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Agreed.
    The story itself is entertaining and they all sound appropriately young etc but I feel they could have paired the writer with an equally "unique" and/or "stylized" artist.
    I actually thought David sounded inappropriately young, lol. His voice was never so "bro." He was always very mature, to the point of sometimes being a downer. I'm SO happy to see him featured, but it definitely felt weird to hear him say "dude" so much, lol.

    I have a question for all the Wiccan fans: What happened to Billy's powers? I know in the first series, he had to say words out loud for his magic to happen. But in the second series, he seemed to need a lot of training from Loki on how to do anything, and he didn't really need to speak as much. What happened in between those two series that changed his powers?

    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Wiccan! But I also love Patriot, Stature, Speed, and actually Iron Lad alot. Of course, I also love Prodigy, but that's from his New X-Men days. Oh, and every day, I love Miss America more and more, haha.

    2. Who is your favourite writer for Young Avengers?
    Allen Heinberg!

    3. Who is your favourite artist for Young Avengers?
    Jim Cheung!

    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    Runaways!

    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    I don't know if we could call him a villain, but I really want to learn more about Patrinot.

    6. Who are you favourite Young Avengers romance?
    Aw, I really liked Stature and Iron Lad.

    7. What has been your favourite battle/fight for a Young Avenger?
    Hmmmm. I loved seeing them fight evil versions of themselves. I also loved the Kree-Skrull fight.

    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    So many, it's hard to pick. But I loved the bit where Billy tried to tell his parents that he was a super hero, and they thought he was coming out of the closet! It was both funny, and heart warming.

    9. After Original Sin, who do you want the next arc to give focus too?
    Speed! He was BARELY in Gillen's run. He needs some attention. He's great when paired with Prodigy. I LOVED their "duo" issue of Gillen's run.

    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?
    The originals who are missing! Iron Lad, Patriot, Stature, and Vision. Or if I can't, then maybe a few mutants. X-23, Armor, and Mercury would be fun to add to the cast.

  14. #59
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I was answering that question. They don't really have any definitive villains that they face. They do need a "major threat" villain like you say that is unique to the team. Hopefully that's something we'll see next volume.
    Is it Noh-var'x ex girlfriend as one of the villains in Original Sin? Maybe bringing her in as a big villain would be cool. Or having Madam Masque again come after Kate and involving the team could bring her in? In general the best villains have a personal link to the team, so Iron Lad would be cool in that regard too (lot of sadness as a former team-mate).

    [QUOTE=SuperCooper;296351]Long-time thread lurker, first-time thread poster! And long-time YA fan, too! Heinberg's series is what brought me back into comics, and #1 was the very first book I ever purchased with my own money (a small accomplishment, but always something I've given sentimental value to).

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    1. Who is your favourite Young Avengers?
    Hard to pick just one, but I'd have to go with Hulkling, followed very close by Ms. America. Hulkling's got a ridiculously cool visual, awesome powers that he knows how to rock, and has been through so much but has kept his head held high. He's the perennial survivor, the guy who can deal with his mother being killed, his entire lineage being revealed, his boyfriend's crazy life, and possibly being just a figment of an imagination. Hulkling rocks.
    Hulkling is amazing!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    4. Who is your favourite ally to the Young Avengers?
    Magneto! His interactions with the team were priceless in YA:CC, and hearing him refer to the members of the team by their codenames brought a new found level of...respect, I suppose it could be called, to the team. It may sound strange, but when you've got the freaking Master of Magnetism speaking to you like an ally and trying to form a plan with you, you know you're more than a drop in the big wide pool of heroes (or maybe a drop in the big wide pool of villains)
    Speed/Quicksilver was a HILARIOUS pairing, as was Speed/Magneto



    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    5. Who is your favourite villain the Young Avengers (or just one of them) have faced?
    The Mother parasite was definitely the creepiest villain I've seen in a long while, and she was a formidable threat on more than one occasion. The team's conflict with her spanned months, crossed dimensions, brought a good percent of the team to their knees more than once, but ultimately ended up solidifying their unity and strength together. And really, isn't that what a good villain should do?
    I really liked MoM. I don't want her to be the villain for the next arc, but I do want her back at somepoint, she was uber creeeeeeepy.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    8. What is your favourite scene out of the Young Avengers stories?
    Again, I can't choose just one! The new costume reveal, Chavez's origin story, and Eli's grandfather showing he's a true Super Soldier are all up there, but I'd have to go with Prodigy's definition of what love is. Heartwarming, heartbreaking, heartmoving, heartemotingallovertheplace.

    ADORED that moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    10. Who would you add to the current Young Avengers roster?
    Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Rockslide, Anole, a bit more matured Molly Hayes, Anachronism, and Zero-G would all be great additions to the team, to name just a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The thing I hated about Gillen's YA was the focus on style over substance. As if something cursory and fleeting as style would ever truly have any long lasting impact on pop culture. It really damaged these characters as a result, but that's just my opinion.
    You're... joking, right??? You do know that was just the title, and the series WASN'T about lacking substance (the Billy/Teddy relationship was choc-full of meaning and metaphor and depth).

  15. #60
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,596

    Default

    HILARIOUS preview for the Original Sins comic. The more I read, the more excited I am to get the TPB. Good reference to Kate in Hawkeye and pleased to see MAC on a date with a woman (and 100% totally her style to go for a non-superhero, LOVE that; we said that very thing in this thread).

    Images:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...t4-3-06e32.jpg

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...t4-4-7f36e.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •