View Poll Results: Who is your favourite YOUNG AVENGER?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • HAWKEYE [Kate Bishop]

53 18.28%
  • HULKLING [Theodroe 'Teddy' Altman]

17 5.86%
  • IRON LAD [Nathaniel Richards]

5 1.72%
  • LOKI, God of Mischief

25 8.62%
  • MARVEL BOY [Noh-vah]

10 3.45%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

33 11.38%
  • PATRIOT [Elijah 'Eli' Bradley]

33 11.38%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

12 4.14%
  • SPEED [Thomas 'Tommy' Shepherd]

17 5.86%
  • STATURE [Cassandra 'Cassie' Lang]

16 5.52%
  • VISION [Jonas]

4 1.38%
  • WICCAN [William 'Billy' Kaplan]

65 22.41%
Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

As others have mentioned, Kamala joining the Young Avengers would be great. Her powers make her a nice stand-in for Stature, but she is her own character and I think she can bring a lot of personality to the team.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=106208

Ant-Man begins production. And they think that

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5338858/?ref_=nmmd_md_nm

this girl is playing Cassie.

(Wow, that girl is really young. Young Avengers will be quite a ways off at this rate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Hmmmm... not necessarily following the logic of this one
    Kamala's from the northeastern US. That tends to be a more liberal area, especially in the larger cities. Odds are good that Kamala's not only fine with homosexuality, but that she probably knows some. Kamala's definitely a progressive. If she saw Billy and Teddy kissing, she'd probably explode with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by CMain453 View Post
    Ok, I will read Hawkeye and post my thoughts on Kate's story! Tallking of Kamala, is it just me that kinda wants to see a Miss America/ Ms Marvel romance? I know that the idea of Kamala struggling to accept the teams diverse sexualities would contradict this, but I can still dream ahaha
    Nah. Much as I think Kamala's OK with homosexuality, I don't think she's LGBT herself.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Kamala's from the northeastern US. That tends to be a more liberal area, especially in the larger cities. Odds are good that Kamala's not only fine with homosexuality, but that she probably knows some. Kamala's definitely a progressive. If she saw Billy and Teddy kissing, she'd probably explode with excitement.
    She might be, but the story will come from those around her, parents, relatives, other Muslim friends.

Her not caring is great, but I think you miss a trick if you don't address some religious aspect and possiblke anti-gay sentiment
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Ok, I will read Hawkeye and post my thoughts on Kate's story! Tallking of Kamala, is it just me that kinda wants to see a Miss America/ Ms Marvel romance? I know that the idea of Kamala struggling to accept the teams diverse sexualities would contradict this, but I can still dream ahaha
    I eagerly await the report.

P.S. I like the idea of MAC and Arana more.

Yes and no. New Jersey is actually one of the best states of LGBT rights (better than New York); but that doesn't mean there isn't any anti-gay thoughts in the state. Plus (sadly) Islam and homosexuality in the modern world is not always a great combo.

Nah. Much as I think Kamala's OK with homosexuality, I don't think she's LGBT herself.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    As others have mentioned, Kamala joining the Young Avengers would be great. Her powers make her a nice stand-in for Stature, but she is her own character and I think she can bring a lot of personality to the team.
    THIS! Her powers are different, she fills Cassie's slot except... you know... actually being interesting (unlike Lang). I REALLY want her and Victor Mancha to joing (or Cho). Or Finesse and Striker. Or all four!

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    She might be, but the story will come from those around her, parents, relatives, other Muslim friends.
    Her not caring is great, but I think you miss a trick if you don't address some religious aspect and possiblke anti-gay sentiment
    Agreed. And I shouldn't be "I hate them, sodomites!!!" but it's perfectly fair to explore Kamala's parents maybe being a little "reserved" around Billy/Teddy. It would be good to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Her friends and family, presumably, wouldn't know she was hanging out with Billy and Teddy, since they don't know she's a superhero. Beyond that, truthfully, I get the feeling her parents probably wouldn't be all that concerned about her hanging out with gay guys. Her father might take the view that gay boys aren't a threat to his little girl, and her mother seems the type to get dramatic about everything anyway, so nothing new there. They might not be comfortable with it, but I'm not sure they'd make an issue of it.

Yes and no. New Jersey is actually one of the best states of LGBT rights (better than New York); but that doesn't mean there isn't any anti-gay thoughts in the state. Plus (sadly) Islam and homosexuality in the modern world is not always a great combo.
    Sure, for both points. But Kamala's young. Younger people are more likely to be accepting of homosexuality. She's a female geek who writes fanfiction - you think she doesn't have at least one slash fic out there? Come on, every Avengers fangirl has who writes fanfic has one about Captain America and Iron Man.

And Kamala doesn't seem to have a particularly traditional view of Islam, anyway. We've already seen her question the gender partition in mosques. She's a young, progressive American Muslim. The way I see it, there's almost no chance that she has any problem at all with homosexuality. It doesn't make any sense from a character standpoint, and giving her a problem with gays, as earlier suggested in the thread, would simply be derailing her in order to do a Muslim story, rather than a Kamala story.

I'd actually be a bit wary of doing a story showing her parents being uncomfortable with homosexuality for a similar reason. It would be low-hanging fruit, an excuse to do a Message story. I'm not averse to showing LGBT characters having to deal with discrimination. But I'm not convinced it should be done using Kamala's parents as the uncomfortable ones.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Her friends and family, presumably, wouldn't know she was hanging out with Billy and Teddy, since they don't know she's a superhero. Beyond that, truthfully, I get the feeling her parents probably wouldn't be all that concerned about her hanging out with gay guys. Her father might take the view that gay boys aren't a threat to his little girl, and her mother seems the type to get dramatic about everything anyway, so nothing new there. They might not be comfortable with it, but I'm not sure they'd make an issue of it.
    Yeah, but then you haven't got a story and if you haven't got a story there is no point in mentioning it and when you stop mentioning things where do you stop stop mentioning and then before you know all books are black and white and look like that YA when it was just Speed and Prodigy at work. But not as exciting
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Any news on the Young Avengers in Original Sins, my wee Sausages?

Any news on the Young Avengers in Original Sins, my wee Sausages?
    The Hood got away. spoilers:
    Prodigy now has a shitload of the Watcher's secrets on computers around the world, and he's the only one who can decrypt the information.
    end of spoilers

Also, it turns out Wanda actually meant to say, "No, MORE Mutants."

The Hood got away. spoilers:
    Prodigy now has a shitload of the Watcher's secrets on computers around the world, and he's the only one who can decrypt the information.
    end of spoilers

Also, it turns out Wanda actually meant to say, "No, MORE Mutants."
    Thank-you for this. VERY happy to see Prodigy save the day (as in Young Avengers). Such a brilliant addition to the cast.

Thank-you for this. VERY happy to see Prodigy save the day (as in Young Avengers). Such a brilliant addition to the cast.
    Of course, now the question is open of how far he can be trusted. He did keep it a secret from the others. We probably shouldn't forget the issue of New X-Men that revealed what would happen without the blocks on his powers. He seems to be taking the first step onto that path now. Which will make for an amazing story if it's ever followed up on.

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. This certainly leaves things open for future writers to explore a divergent path for our young hero.

Was the reveal about Wanda's word choice in the same issue? Was it one of the secrets that David learned?
    Given everything she'd said prior to those infamous 3 words, it is a bit difficult to believe her intent was so dramatically different. But I think, for the most part, these minis aren't often highly regarded as the be all and end all of story details. Still ... interesting that they (whomever THEY are) wrote that. I wonder how fans (and anti-fans) will respond.

Now then: WHEN are we gonna get another ONGOING YOUNG AVENGERS ? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease Marvel!

EDIT: Never mind. Its a gag.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-21-2014 at 04:19 AM.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

What I'd like about this storyline--and what I also think'd make it tricky for both characters in-universe-- is the level of **** both girls have been through is MASSIVELY different. Miss America's lost her home, her mothers, and is a hardened warrior. Kamala's this bubbly optimist who's dealt with being an outcast and an other in American society but never actually had to cope with tragedy. According to Gillen, America's only a year older but the mental states they're both at are so far apart. So if there WAS an attraction...could any kind of relationship ever come of it?

We do need some LGBT+ women of color in comics. It's like each one of those "minority qualifiers" (not being straight, not being a man, and not being white) is a hoop they've got to jump through, and each hoop makes it less likely they'll make it into the public's eye. (Which is dumb, b/c obviously LGBT+ women of color EXIST.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    What I'd like about this storyline--and what I also think'd make it tricky for both characters in-universe-- is the level of **** both girls have been through is MASSIVELY different. Miss America's lost her home, her mothers, and is a hardened warrior. Kamala's this bubbly optimist who's dealt with being an outcast and an other in American society but never actually had to cope with tragedy. According to Gillen, America's only a year older but the mental states they're both at are so far apart. So if there WAS an attraction...could any kind of relationship ever come of it?

We do need some LGBT+ women of color in comics. It's like each one of those "minority qualifiers" (not being straight, not being a man, and not being white) is a hoop they've got to jump through, and each hoop makes it less likely they'll make it into the public's eye. (Which is dumb, b/c obviously LGBT+ women of color EXIST.)
    America's romantic future lies with a newly liberated Xavin!