Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    So...how long until we can see you on a core DC book that isn't a video game tie-in?
    They should let him do Batgirl or Wonder Woman. The former would be interesting to see.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Annie Nocenti wouldn't know anything about real women, naturally.

A non "wank-bait" and cosplayer-friendly character being Catwoman, a "real woman" is fairly laughable, especially as the method to achieve this would be to fire the actual woman on the title. (Presumably, the "wannabe" cosplayers are men who've never encountered women, otherwise, y'know, you'd think they might know something about "real" women, as well.)
    Perhaps my points was unclear. In the Batman Eternal preview we got in Batman #28 (or so), Catwoman is wearing a suit, in control of herself and her actions and is portayed as independent. She uses the classic whip, but does so to immasculate Batman. She also appears to be a step ahead of him in everything that is happening in 'his' city.

Ann Nocenti is writing bad Catwoman so yes, she should go asap. She gave Selina a new male centric origin (yes, I know this is a spin on the old origin), and almost everyone she interacts with any level of power is a man or, in Joker's Daughter's case, obsessed with a man.

We are not in the 90s anymore, and I thought White Rabbit's kind of shameless T and A was gone. In fact, DC make a lot of noise about being inclusive and in issue 1 of the relaunched Batman we have this, a girl in her underwear-bunny costume running around. Is the bunny connotation not enough to be a bit dodgy? I find WR sexist and distasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    She's a child's version of a "bad girl," an alternate personality of a wealthy, but disturbed, woman who blames everything bad on the White Rabbit, who's superfast, can only be seen by people she wants to see her, and y'know, looks pervy. Except Jaina isn't hurt by what the bad-her does, she seems to just enjoy it being separate from her so she can't "get in trouble." White Rabbit's not a real person, it's just part of Jaina that she somehow manifests, physically, to get in trouble for her.

The running gag/frustration in the storyline was that only Batman was seeing her for a long time, and he'd have to keep reexplaining the look to Gordon, to Two-Face, Flash, etc, while none of them are seeing anything like that. It's a game. Meanwhile the much more sedate, though still sexy, Jaina is fundraising, working with charities, dating Bruce Wayne and seemingly trying to make him a more responsible person (in ways that, in retrospect - knowing she's a villain - might just be more games). The title was a mess, with editors shifting Finch and his writers/dialoguers around until everyone was sick of it and Jenkins flat out quit, so it never gets resolved, but I have to feel for Finch, because he clearly did have this whole dynamic thought out and a less absurd costume really wouldn't have been as funny/frustrating. That arc was about suppressed urges, self-image vs what we put out there vs what we'd like to see in ourselves.

It's not The Extremist, in terms of quality and execution, but it wasn't the dumbest or most sexist comic DC was putting out at the time, either. (JT Krul may have ben managing that.) Finch and Jenkins were trying to do something more rounded, but also loud, cartoony, and ridiculously big.
    Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    i don't know, really it depends on the story, . these short projects were really a happy coincidence of free time matching the demand. i am currently up to my eyeballs in comics between death vigil sunstone ravine and if death vigil is success then twitch too... so basically if i do something bigger it will probably have to be something in a graphic novel format off continuity kind of a story. just because my scheduling is an epic mess right now XD

aaalso, to thank i hedge coke for explaining me the concept behind the white rabbit which i honestly do love

Is it wrong of me to want t hedge coke and nebezial as a creative team doing a Bat-book with the White Rabbit as the villain of the arc? Cause those are two awesome posts....

Haven't read her story yet, but I love the idea behind her, and I don't mind the costume at all. Hope she gets more use and actually becomes a good popular character and not just used for fanservice (although there is nothing wrong with that in moderation).

The presence of White Rabbit does not make DC's entire product line non-inclusive.

If DC were offering nothing but White Rabbits (or nothing but any one character or specific style) I could perhaps understand that pov. But such is not the case.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"