Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Linda is the real Flash's wife.
    No, either Joan or Iris would have been the "real" Flash's wife, depending on which Earth / which era you were going for.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, either Joan or Iris would have been the "real" Flash's wife, depending on which Earth / which era you were going for.
    There is no "real" Flash. I just forgot it was Barry and not Wally in those scenes.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    There is no "real" Flash. I just forgot it was Barry and not Wally in those scenes.
    No real Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No real Flash?
    Humorously, both the host site for the image and youtube aren't available to me here in China. But the url's say Flash Gordon, and now I'm suddenly annoyed I can't remember for sure of "Flash" Gordon in Michael Moorcock's work was based on a real flasher/dude or not. I want to say he is, but... aaargh!
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    She'd be an good addition to a revamped Wonderland Gang.
    I thought the same thing actually... would help entrench her as a character if she associated with the Mad Hatter

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I thought the same thing actually... would help entrench her as a character if she associated with the Mad Hatter
    Wasn't she solicited as appearing with the Hatter and the Tweedles shortly after her first appearance, in an issue that never turned up?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I love Sejic. I do. But he really can't talk when it comes to s&m fanservice.

And I'll bet any money at least half the deviant artists drawing her are women.
    oh..i certainly can

see,my comic sunstone is a comic about sexuality and fetishism. that is it's main topic. it is an erotic romantic comedy. so when i dear fwtishistic outfits it is very much pertaining to the story. in the parts of the story where the characters aren't wearing fetishwear..they wear normal clothes, they look normal and they act normal, they don't pose for centerfolds 24/7 and act like...people

now...last i checked batman comics aren't comics about sexuality..or are they? see it really comes down to whether or not the sex appeal is helping the story or does it feel crammed in for nothing but fanservice.

because i certainly have nothing against sexy. but thing is.. these are all attractive characters. they are sexy by default

anytime i see the white rabbit i cant help but think that. her costume could have been handled better while sticking to the white rabbit theme.

or on the flipside, if you are going to show a character as a fetishist...then write them as one. fetishists are interesting and fun people when written properly. they are the pinnacle of sexual nerds. hell if these characters were written as fetishists the old, this costume makes me feel empowered is actually TRUE!

a fetishist would feel empowered in this kind of a costume, and if written like that i would actually applaud the concept of the character as well as execution

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    oh..i certainly can

see,my comic sunstone is a comic about sexuality and fetishism. that is it's main topic. it is an erotic romantic comedy. so when i dear fwtishistic outfits it is very much pertaining to the story. in the parts of the story where the characters aren't wearing fetishwear..they wear normal clothes, they look normal and they act normal, they don't pose for centerfolds 24/7 and act like...people

now...last i checked batman comics aren't comics about sexuality..or are they? see it really comes down to whether or not the sex appeal is helping the story or does it feel crammed in for nothing but fanservice.
    Have you read a comic White Rabbit was in?

For that matter, yes, there's been a lot of sexuality and sex covered in Batman comics before. From Denny O'Neil to Frank Miller to Devin Grayson, a lot of sexual and sexualized territory has been covered for decades.

But, I'm genuinely curious if you think that White Rabbit isn't a supervillain because she dresses in a ridiculous costume (and can only be seen by people she wants to see her, making the costume ridiculous to describe), or because you think her actual activities, including drug-running, assault, prison breaks, development of chemical weapons, and money laundering in counter to her other persona's good deeds and charity aren't supervillain-y enough.

Because that one panel gag comic seems to have nothing to it except mocking the purposely ridiculous visual.

Spectacular Member

don't get me wrong, i am not saying she is not written as a villain, perhaps a really good villain. my question is, how do they justify the costume in the comic?

don't get me wrong, i am not saying she is not written as a villain, perhaps a really good villain. my question is, how do they justify the costume in the comic?
    She's a child's version of a "bad girl," an alternate personality of a wealthy, but disturbed, woman who blames everything bad on the White Rabbit, who's superfast, can only be seen by people she wants to see her, and y'know, looks pervy. Except Jaina isn't hurt by what the bad-her does, she seems to just enjoy it being separate from her so she can't "get in trouble." White Rabbit's not a real person, it's just part of Jaina that she somehow manifests, physically, to get in trouble for her.

The running gag/frustration in the storyline was that only Batman was seeing her for a long time, and he'd have to keep reexplaining the look to Gordon, to Two-Face, Flash, etc, while none of them are seeing anything like that. It's a game. Meanwhile the much more sedate, though still sexy, Jaina is fundraising, working with charities, dating Bruce Wayne and seemingly trying to make him a more responsible person (in ways that, in retrospect - knowing she's a villain - might just be more games). The title was a mess, with editors shifting Finch and his writers/dialoguers around until everyone was sick of it and Jenkins flat out quit, so it never gets resolved, but I have to feel for Finch, because he clearly did have this whole dynamic thought out and a less absurd costume really wouldn't have been as funny/frustrating. That arc was about suppressed urges, self-image vs what we put out there vs what we'd like to see in ourselves.

It's not The Extremist, in terms of quality and execution, but it wasn't the dumbest or most sexist comic DC was putting out at the time, either. (JT Krul may have ben managing that.) Finch and Jenkins were trying to do something more rounded, but also loud, cartoony, and ridiculously big.

Spectacular Member

i actually really like that idea. i am still waiting form my shipment of trades to arrive as i live in croatia so getting comics is a b&/ch so i am behind on some stuff for now

still, you have to admit, anyone who doesn't know that and is shown a picture of her...they aren't gonna buy it. in fact that is what the joke really was about

i am aware of some really outlandishly non threatening looking supervillains who have been written bone chillingly threatening.. so i will wholeheartedly concede to your points on that

hell, klarion the witch boy is one of my favorite examples. downright silly looking at times, based on the depiction, but give him to a good writer and ...DAMN! XD

also now i want to draw a batman in a straitjacket in arkham screaming, no really , she was there! with joker giving him the s#iteye going...right...and i am the crazy one XD
    Last edited by nebezial; 06-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.

penetrator of things

i actually really like that idea. i am still waiting form my shipment of trades to arrive as i live in croatia so getting comics is a b&/ch so i am behind on some stuff for now

still, you have to admit, anyone who doesn't know that and is shown a picture of her...they aren't gonna buy it. in fact that is what the joke really was about

i am aware of some really outlandishly non threatening looking supervillains who have been written bone chillingly threatening.. so i will wholeheartedly concede to your points on that

hell, klarion the witch boy is one of my favorite examples. downright silly looking at times, based on the depiction, but give him to a good writer and ...DAMN! XD

also now i want to draw a batman in a straitjacket in arkham screaming, no really , she was there! with joker giving him the s#iteye going...right...and i am the crazy one XD
    So...how long until we can see you on a core DC book that isn't a video game tie-in?
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Spectacular Member

i don't know, really it depends on the story, . these short projects were really a happy coincidence of free time matching the demand. i am currently up to my eyeballs in comics between death vigil sunstone ravine and if death vigil is success then twitch too... so basically if i do something bigger it will probably have to be something in a graphic novel format off continuity kind of a story. just because my scheduling is an epic mess right now XD

aaalso, to thank i hedge coke for explaining me the concept behind the white rabbit which i honestly do love

BANNED

I just don't see reason for her use the sexualized costume. It's a trend that most of female villains are sexy and use revealing costumes. It just becomes more of the same and not helping the character stand out.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I just don't see reason for her use the sexualized costume. It's a trend that most of female villains are sexy and use revealing costumes. It just becomes more of the same and not helping the character stand out.
    I dislike the over serialization of the character but... How many Bat villains wear actual lingerie?