Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Invincible Iron Man and the mutants (SPOILERS WITHIN)

For readers of Invincible Iron Man #1, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to that major mutant-related plot point that was casually dropped (some talk about it over on the Complex thread, too). There's been a lot said for that last page where spoilers:
    Dr. Doom is shown to be alive after Secret Wars
    end of spoilers, but I surprisingly haven't heard much about the other and arguably more interesting reveal, the topic of this thread:

spoilers:
    Another mutant cure has been developed.
    end of spoilers

Kind of surprising to me, at least, that such a major universe-wide development would just be brought up in passing in this particular title. Any thoughts?
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    For readers of Invincible Iron Man #1, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to that major mutant-related plot point that was casually dropped (some talk about it over on the Complex thread, too). There's been a lot said for that last page where spoilers:
    Dr. Doom is shown to be alive after Secret Wars
    end of spoilers, but I surprisingly haven't heard much about the other and arguably more interesting reveal, the topic of this thread:

spoilers:
    Another mutant cure has been developed.
    end of spoilers

Kind of surprising to me, at least, that such a major universe-wide development would just be brought up in passing in this particular title. Any thoughts?
    Are we sure it's a NEW cure? My thought when I read that was that it could have been just the foundation for the one Kavita Rao had worked on.

I found it annoying, but not that surprising. I guess time will tell if it becomes relevant, but I think the Mist is a more pressing issue than some scientist trying to upstage Dr. Rao (Not that it's a hard feat to accomplish)

Could they not have just used Kavita? Shoddy editor. Axm was a popular book. How could Bendis not know.

Wait, I didn't read the issue but are you sure it's a cure for being a mutant and not a cure for the mutants, I.E M-Pox/terrigen mists?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

No it said mutant gene. And mentioned to watch out for corporate psychic mutants e.g. Emma Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Could they not have just used Kavita? Shoddy editor. Axm was a popular book. How could Bendis not know.
    Right? I mean, Marvel rarely waste time of bringing anything Whedon up! Unless he's no longer relevant since he's not part of the movies now.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Wait, I didn't read the issue but are you sure it's a cure for being a mutant and not a cure for the mutants, I.E M-Pox/terrigen mists?
    She was pretty clearly talking about the x-gene.

Alright I just wanted to doublecheck.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Are we sure it's a NEW cure? My thought when I read that was that it could have been just the foundation for the one Kavita Rao had worked on.
    It was somewhat unclear to me when I first read it, but I imagine we'll get more details in the future. You're probably right though!
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

The sciencist in question figured it out as a thought-experiment but never actually made the cure, Stark offered to help sheild her mind from anyone who would use her knowledge against mutants.
    Last edited by norj; 10-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Fantastic Member

If it goes anywhere I could see it being what cures mutants of the Terrigen-itis, with them having to take it out of necessity. And in the process leaving some of them as Inhumans, mwahaha.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    The sciencist in question figured it out as a thought-experiment but never actually made the cure, Stark offered to help sheild her mind from anyone who would use her knowledge against mutantsl
    Yeah, 'cause it's not like anyone could just dig up Rao's research, or anything.

But remember, continuity just gets in the way of storytelling. :-P

My guess is that it was just placed there so the girl can be placed in danger at some point for Tony to rescue her. Once that's done we probably won't hear about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    My guess is that it was just placed there so the girl can be placed in danger at some point for Tony to rescue her. Once that's done we probably won't hear about it again.
    I think it might actually be something more sinister then that. Don't be surprised if this cure has some sort of impact on the X-Men in the next 3 or 4 years once this T-cloud shite has dissipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Yeah, 'cause it's not like anyone could just dig up Rao's research, or anything.

But remember, continuity just gets in the way of storytelling. :-P
    I think you mean:

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity."
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.