Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I think you mean:

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity."
    It's also Bendis. He can't be troubled to follow his OWN continuity.

Sounds like a plot thread for a Iron Man/X-Men crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Are we sure it's a NEW cure? My thought when I read that was that it could have been just the foundation for the one Kavita Rao had worked on.
    Not if she was telling the truth about never telling another living soul about it before now, no.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I found it annoying, but not that surprising. I guess time will tell if it becomes relevant, but I think the Mist is a more pressing issue than some scientist trying to upstage Dr. Rao (Not that it's a hard feat to accomplish)
    Actually, it could be quite relevant in terms of mutant characters suffering from exposure to the Mist... after all, presumably if you remove the X-gene, exposure to the Mist would no longer be harmful to you and your life would be saved, albeit without powers until a McGuffin to restore your X-gene is found, as it almost surely would be (eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Wait, I didn't read the issue but are you sure it's a cure for being a mutant and not a cure for the mutants, I.E M-Pox/terrigen mists?
    Yes, quite sure. No harm to the person.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I think you mean:

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity."
    There is a difference between missing a one-off detail from something 30 years ago (Who cares if the safe password is different? I mean, really?) and ignoring the starting plot point to the relaunch of the X-Men post Morrison. It's like the difference between forgetting where Sciota, NY is on the map and forgetting where the United States is.
    Dark does not mean deep.

As I already posted to the Complex thread:

Wait... In the x-books mutants are AGAIN facing extinction as a species due to actions of other "heroes" from another Marvel franchise who have very loose ties to mutants/X-Men AND in Iron Man comics some corporation has found the cure for mutancy AGAIN?!

Wow, so many novel ideas that have never before been explored! This really is All-New, All-Different Marvel!
    Also, here's my theory about the whole Rogue debacle:
    And, Rogue, the only mutant AND only X-Men member on UA team (which started as Avengers dealing with human-mutant issues), is actually dying because she is somehow conveniently more vulnerable to Terrigen mists than other mutants?! Well, that's just great!

And how sad is it that we've come so far that I could now actually see this story being resolved by somehow disabling Rogue's mutantcy and making her something else?

Wait... If Iron Man books have a "mutant cure" then it's possible to disable mutants' powers/x-genes! Oh boy... Not to jump to conclusions but I'm very worried now...

Rogue was pretty important in one of the more well known Carol Danvers-centric Avengers related stories AND debuted in it so could Marvel be planning to have some sort of MCU counterpart to Rogue (not a mutant or named Rogue of course) in the upcoming Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers movie as a villain and they are maneuvering comics Rogue to be more like this potential MCU counterpart? Maybe once Rogue is "cured" of her mutantcy she suddenly goes into a cocoon and it's revealed that she had Inhuman genes all along (her ancestry is pretty much shrouded in mystery after all!) and those made her react to Terrigen mists so powerfully?

And what about Mystique? Could we expect to see her also become an Inhuman/something else OR if her ties to X-Men (being related to Nightcrawler, dating Destiny, etc.) are too strong could she be replaced by some sort of MCU amalgam/counterpart who might be Inhuman or something else in the upcoming Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers film?

I don't know maybe I'm just overreacting (that's what I hope at least) but some of this stuff makes me suspicious. Out of ALL the mutants Marvel has chosen Rogue to be the one they isolated from X-Men early on into Avengers books and now she isn't even allowed to appear in X-Men and is treated as Avengers exclusive character by people like Brevoort. Why is that? I know that she is popular but she's still not the most popular X-Men and they could have chosen any number of X-Men with same level of popularity but they chose her. And she has ties to Carol Danvers having debuted in a story focused on that character and I have no doubt that Marvel is eyeing that particular Carol Danvers story as something to bring to the big screen. It is, after all, one of her more famous and well known stories.
    Safe to say that Brevoort's recent comments have only made me believe more that my theory is at least partially correct. After all what else could make x-fans angrier than having one of the popular and well known X-Men & mutants being converted into not being a mutant and making them maybe Inhuman instead! And using a story thread from Iron Man's book to accomplish this will make him seem even more relevant and maybe boost his sales/popularoty which Marvel obviously wants since Tony Stark/Iron Man is Marvel's new golden boy and they are trying to have him replace Spidey as the company mascot so hard that they even take Spidey's (ex-)wife and make her Tony Stark's squeeze. LoL, maybe they'll even be able to piss off some Spidey fans in the process too! After all, Spidey is still a shared property/license

Now that I've thought about it for a while I realized how completely messed up Bendis' writing really is!

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Bendis had the biggest impact on x-books when he wrote Avengers (Decimation) and then when he came to X-Men books he didn't really do anything beyond spinning his wheels and made some of the dullest x-books many a fan has ever seen. And now, immediately after he is off the x-books his very first non-X-Men issue has his second biggest X-Men/mutant related plot/story concept?

Why does he keep making his most interesting and biggest X-Men stories when he's not writing X-Men books?! What's wrong with Bendis?! Couldn't he have done something of like this when he wrote the actual X-Men flagship books?! At least then those books might have had some sort of stories/ideas in them. Sure, this would have been a repetitive story/plot idea but at least it's better than having no story/plot at all like UXM or ANXM!

Quote Originally Posted by Model 1911A1 Cal .45 View Post
    Sounds like a plot thread for a Iron Man/X-Men crossover.
    Well, Marvel is determined to make Iron Man their Number one hero so it's probably only a matter of time before X-Men get the call to come boost his slaes/popularity with their presence. Just like they have already done for Avengers, GotG, Ultimate Spidey and are currently doing for Inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Now that I've thought about it for a while I realized how completely messed up Bendis' writing really is!

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Bendis had the biggest impact on x-books when he wrote Avengers (Decimation) and then when he came to X-Men books he didn't really do anything beyond spinning his wheels and made some of the dullest x-books many a fan has ever seen. And now, immediately after he is off the x-books his very first non-X-Men issue has his second biggest X-Men/mutant related plot/story concept?

Why does he keep making his most interesting and biggest X-Men stories when he's not writing X-Men books?! What's wrong with Bendis?! Couldn't he have done something of like this when he wrote the actual X-Men flagship books?! At least then those books might have had some sort of stories/ideas in them. Sure, this would have been a repetitive story/plot idea but at least it's better than having no story/plot at all like UXM or ANXM!

Well, Marvel is determined to make Iron Man their Number one hero so it's probably only a matter of time before X-Men get the call to come boost his slaes/popularity with their presence. Just like they have already done for Avengers, GotG, Ultimate Spidey and are currently doing for Inhumans.

They knew. Just like in Avengers, Bendis entertained. He was fun. There were faults but that's okay. Mistakes were made. THey happen. But then. But then.

DISASSEMBLED! HOUSE OF M! DECIMATION! AVX!

Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

It cannot be a cure because the X-Gene isn't a Disease or the such.

Marvel really seems to be intent on trying to make it seem like an illness when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post

Maybe he got an order to not do anything from upstairs.......................................... ...

I agree this seems like it's setting up an eventual Iron Man X-men cross over. But come on...how many times are we going to go over "a cure" for the mutant gene story line already?

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    It cannot be a cure because the X-Gene isn't a Disease or the such.

Marvel really seems to be intent on trying to make it seem like an illness when it isn't.
    Well, put 'cure' in scare quotes like this, then, if it makes you happier. Whatever one wants to call it, apparently it's a means of removing the X-gene and/or its effects without harming the 'host' (the person with the gene) in any way, which at least is better than one can say for Decimation. Not sure if Rao's 'cure' was ever shown to have any side effects, it's been such a long time since that storyline.

In any case, I'm not sure it's entirely true to say that the X-gene never presents as a disease or a condition. I mean, there have certainly been mutants shown whose mutations have been prone to hurting or even killing them, or making their lives into endless misery. Not sure if Rogue still has reason to whinge about not being able to be intimate with anybody without a full body condom, but if she doesn't have control of her power, she honestly has the right to all she wants; Unus the Untouchable had multiple occurrences where his powers nearly killed him, and then it actually happened when his powers were restored; Rockslide losing his genitals could be considered a disease-like condition (not to mention one that renders him an evolutionary dead end, since he can't pass his X-gene on), and so on. And of course now that the Terrigen mists are in the atmosphere, possession of an X-gene apparently means that they kill you fast or slow, so one could say that the X-gene gives mutants the trait or even defect of T-intolerance. If this new character's 'cure' would allow mutants to resolve that problem without having to leave their family, friends, and jobs as they are exiled from Earth, one can imagine that some who are not really into their particular mutations (which would likely include a lot of the mutants created at the end of AvX, since they've only been mutants for what, like a year?) might pick that option rather than emigrating to space or, y'know, dying.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Maybe he got an order to not do anything from upstairs.......................................... ...
    I could see that and he probably did. But we, as fans, don't know for sure so based on the information available to us it's Bendis who is at fault here. I'll be ready to change my mind the moment it's confirmed that he was given such an order but until he (or someone else) comes out and says it I'll consider it his shortcoming.

And besides, even if he did get such an order he didn't seem too opposed to such suggestions. If he did get such an instructions and didn't like them (and had a spine) then he would have done what Fraction did with Inhumans and walked out on the title. But we both know that Bendis is far too much of a company man to do something like that.