Default Miike to direct Blade of the Immortal?

It was mentioned the other day on CBR's main page, is the news around the internet and is even on Blade of the Immortal's Wikipedia page, so, who's excited about this?

For those who have never read the comics (manga, if you want to be anal), a samurai is made unkillable after being given some kind of demonic maggots that constantly heal him. At first, it seems great, but he soon realises the down-side and the only way to get rid of the maggots is to kill 1,000 bad people. Cue the kind of ultra violence we all love about Japanese comics.

Personally, I can't wait to see this! I bought the first 4 or 5 compendiums when they published (with the publishers quick to point out that the samurai's outfit does NOT denote his hatred of Zion) and enjoyed them a great deal. Very over-the-top in places, but who can complain (and I'm sure that aspect will only appeal to Miike's quirky edge all the more).

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Whoa.

I have not seen this news anywhere, but it's a great comic and Miike's a brilliant director.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

best cinematic news EVER!

Miike's great.

As a kaiju fan, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when his Daimajin remake was cancelled almost a decade ago (He did turn out two awesome Ultraman episodes, though!).

Mighty Member

man, I hope this isn't just a rumor - it's hard to imagine a director better suited to tackle this story on the big screen. and he's not likely to completely screw it up (like they did with the Blade of the Immortal anime).

I didn't even know that there was an anime... but your verdict of it kind of turns me off looking it up.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/e...-takashi-miike

I haven't heard of the "actor" before, but the comments following the announcement don't bode well.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    I haven't heard of the "actor" before, but the comments following the announcement don't bode well.
    Kimutaku?

I liked him in Space Battle Ship Yamato and in Love and Honor. He's been nominated and won some significant awards and achieved fairly good praise considering his origins as a pop singer pretty boy. He would likely have won more by now, but he declines all nominations, out of hand, as he doesn't feel actors or artists should compete with one another in popularity contests. I don't agree, but it's a fairly admirable reason. Beat Takeshi just announced him as Best Actor one year, because Kimura would have turned down a nomination.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    I didn't even know that there was an anime... but your verdict of it kind of turns me off looking it up.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/e...-takashi-miike

Blade is one of my all time favourites but the anime.. man I felt asleep twice trying to watch the 1st episode!! Keep away from it!

Mighty Member

has anybody seen this one yet? just saw the trailer the other day. it looks like it's going to be crazy... but, hopefully, in a good way.

Mighty Member

Should be cool

Mighty Member

saw it yesterday. it was a glorious mess of a film. it works surprisingly well once you factor in that they cut out 60% of the manga. my only complaint was that they wrote Magatsu out of the story very early in the film. (he was one of my top five characters in the manga)

however, it ultimately makes sense to compress Magatsu's blood-feud with Shira into Manji's story, though. I'd give it a solid "B". there were things that felt too long and drawn out, and there were some pacing issues in the second act... but, overall, it felt pretty true to the manga. it's exponentially better than the anime.