Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    Big three in a nutshell
    Superman: Fans divided, even though they have good stuff being put out, but their nostalgia glasses are too thick
    Batman: Batman fandom is eating right now, they are having their cake and eating it, and going back for seconds.
    Wonder Woman: Just depressed, and struggling.
    I don't think it is the case, very little quality material being published. best stuff was from adventures of superman and smallville

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Does it? Seems like a lot of self-professed Superman fans don't like the movie. Man of Steel fans, though, naturally, like MoS.

Maybe, it's just a vocal minority that dislike it, though.

I'm not huge on the older Superman movies, either, though I like them alright. But, I finally tried watching MoS recently, and I kinda wish I hadn't bothered. (Their Superman, himself, was okeh, Lois was good, just a blah, overlong, tediously-shot movie.) It did really well, so it obviously reached a big audience and did something for them.
    vocal minority?

I though the consensus is that MOS is a ok movie, with bad character development, good action scenes but lack depth
    Last edited by Tayswift; 10-09-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Based on what? I don't find the character or the fans very depressed, or really, struggling with anything. Wonder Woman fans can be more "this version only" than Superman or Batman fans, but in general it feels, to me, a more enthusiastic comics fandom than the diehards of the other two.
    Well they're getting the Finches. Book is utterly unreadable atm.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    Well they're getting the Finches. Book is utterly unreadable atm.
    I like it more than the previous run (and we're getting - for now - Sensation Comics, too, which has been aces). I liked Finch and Jenkins' Dark Knight, too, though, despite its flaws and seemingly trolling editors. So, maybe I'm a soft touch.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I like it more than the previous run (and we're getting - for now - Sensation Comics, too, which has been aces). I liked Finch and Jenkins' Dark Knight, too, though, despite its flaws and seemingly trolling editors. So, maybe I'm a soft touch.
    Sensation comics is getting cancelled in December and at the risk of sounding like a jerk, the Finches' run has not been getting a lot of good press (I had my problems with the previous run, but the Finches seem even worse).

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Big three in a nutshell
    Superman: Fans divided, even though they have good stuff being put out, but their nostalgia glasses are too thick
    Entirely subjective. I liked the arc Johns did and Horrorville arc too. Bizzaro world one shot was best issue by Pak but before that came the crapfest called Doomed. It was really a mess. BM/SM has always been mediocre for me and so is SM/WW. Currently I'm not enjoying anything because 1/4 of it is mediocre and 3/4 is just bad. That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    I said that much and you're clutching at that straw? Btw we did see doomed where Superman was infected, lost his mind, had inner conflicts and was about to fall to the "dark side." Fast forward to current Action arc and we're seeing the rehash of that. But sure let's argue on what we did and did not see.
    Sorry, was genuine question. Completely blacked out Doomed from my memory.

Anyway. I agree that fanbase is very split and by extension writers/editors/artists are too. If you look at the Batman franchise then pretty much every writer, to an extent, is influenced by Miller's work. Newer writers seam to take influence from Morrison's saga too which really doesn't clash with Miller's since Morrison's approach generally is "everything happened, everything matters". So basically you have everyone working from same template and trying to add something new.

Now with Superman its another story. Every second writer seams to base his Superman on different version, golden age, silver age, 90s, Morrison's work? Again, Morrison's work tries to encompass all eras and we kinda see it with Pak's/Kuder's Action run, but everyone else seams to be working from different angles, trying to build up their own ideal versions and when those versions meet they don't really mesh together.

Additionally I think that matching Superman with WW was huge mistake. I feel like it didn't add anything to either character, but subtracted from both of them. I think that both characters would be "richer" if they were romantically involved with characters from their own mythos and could actually develop something new out of it. Now its kinda static, its happening but at the same time everyone knows that its going to end and it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sensation comics is getting cancelled in December and at the risk of sounding like a jerk, the Finches' run has not been getting a lot of good press (I had my problems with the previous run, but the Finches seem even worse).
    Which, is why I said "for now." I know it's canceled. Being canceled doesn't stop fans from enjoying something, though.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Based on what? I don't find the character or the fans very depressed, or really, struggling with anything. Wonder Woman fans can be more "this version only" than Superman or Batman fans, but in general it feels, to me, a more enthusiastic comics fandom than the diehards of the other two.
    Because the Wonder Woman comic book is essentially very much not that good, and it isn't getting better anytime soon. Since that's her only solo book (not counting online). It's pretty much sad.

Because the Wonder Woman comic book is essentially very much not that good, and it isn't getting better anytime soon. Since that's her only solo book (not counting online). It's pretty much sad.
    This doesn't stop fans from being positive or enthusiastic, even if I agreed. It doesn't make the character or the fans "just depressed, and struggling."

Morrison and Paquette's Earth One is coming, but even if a fan didn't like the present comics, there is a huge backlog of Wonder Woman comics, there's the tv show, cartoons, t-shirts, lunchboxes, Halloween costumes, fanart, etc, to fan out about and they do.

Being a fan or happily a fan has no real connection to what's out this month or next month new on the stands.