Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post

Nothing Sacred starred Kevin Anderson as a priest. It was criticized by some who saw its portrayal of church issues in the post Second Vatican Council era as favoring those with a more liberal view of the Council at the expense of those with a more conservative one. The show and its sponsors were targeted for boycotts by the Catholic League.

Despite promises that the show would air for at least one full season, after the failure of the program, ABC canceled its order for the final four episodes, and then canceled the series entirely after the March 14, 1998 episode (with four completed episodes left unaired).

The show won the Peabody Award, being described as "an honest portrayal of the complexity of faith in the modern era." It also won the 1998 Humanitas Prize for a sixty-minute television series as well as the Founder's Award from Viewers For Quality Television.
    As much as I have little use for religion. I watched this show and found it to be fantastic. Thus I knew it would never succeed.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Retired

Our family watched the religious anthology series, INSIGHT, which aired for many many years. I liked it for no particular religious reasons, but just because it had good stories and good acting. And on a Sunday afternoon, there was usually nothing else as good to watch on TV back then. Another anthology series I liked to watch in the 1970s was STORY THEATRE--which was wonderfully acted and quite entertaining, with the fables usually having some moral. I always thought this was American, as it had mostly American actors, but it supposedly was made in my hometown of Vancouver, Canada.

All-New Member

Almost human. I was so sad that we never got to see what was over the wall.
    Earth 2. It didn't even have a chance to be terrible.
    Terra Nova. It was getting good and dark and then poof gone!
    Farscape. It was just starting to come together pheh...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by strangeeden View Post
    Almost human. I was so sad that we never got to see what was over the wall.
    Earth 2. It didn't even have a chance to be terrible.
    Terra Nova. It was getting good and dark and then poof gone!
    Farscape. It was just starting to come together pheh...
    Ooh, some good choices! I really liked Almost Human and Terra Nova, in particular.

Also New Amsterdam (the one with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau).

And Life.

And The Finder.

Somehow I remembered the theme for "Going Places" but absolutely nothing else about the show, including what it was about or who starred in it. *shrugs* I wonder if that was before during or after Todd played Lal in "The Offspring" on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Well I used the thread's search function and got nothing, so if it was mentioned don't blame me: "The Book of Daniel." Off the top of my head I remember the title character was a reverend addicted to painkillers and the "villain" (more like antagonist) was played by Ellen Burstyn. Wiki goes into more detail, so I'll leave that here instead of copy/paste the MANY plot threads.

Speaking of Ellen Burstyn, she had her own sitcom called, um The Ellen Burstyn Show in 1986. Which starred a young Megan Mullally (Will & Grace fame) as her divorced daughter with a 5 year old. I'm guessing this is the first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Our family watched the religious anthology series, INSIGHT, which aired for many many years. I liked it for no particular religious reasons, but just because it had good stories and good acting. And on a Sunday afternoon, there was usually nothing else as good to watch on TV back then. Another anthology series I liked to watch in the 1970s was STORY THEATRE--which was wonderfully acted and quite entertaining, with the fables usually having some moral. I always thought this was American, as it had mostly American actors, but it supposedly was made in my hometown of Vancouver, Canada.
    I think I remember that show, lol! My Dad would quizz me afterwards on the morals of the story.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone remember Running The Halls from 1993? It was part of NBC's Saturday morning TNBC shows. It lasted one season but I really liked it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Anyone remember Running The Halls from 1993? It was part of NBC's Saturday morning TNBC shows. It lasted one season but I really liked it at the time.

what was it about? besides high school. same producers as saved by the bell?

As far as show I wouldn't mind seeing again, it would be Friday the 13th the Series (non-Jason show)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYquKiVJAlE
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 09-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what was it about? besides high school. same producers as saved by the bell?
    It had different producers than Saved By The Bell (and California Dreams, City Guys, etc...). It was filmed in that fast-paced style that MTV had made popular back then.

The kids were at a private school and were usually scheming or trying to get away with something. And usually got caught. Hilarity ensued. There was some romance between some of the kids.

You know, regular teenaged stuff.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    As much as I have little use for religion. I watched this show and found it to be fantastic. Thus I knew it would never succeed.
    I thought it was an amazing show.....and once the Catholic church came out against it, I knew it wouldn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I think you mean Ferris Bueller.
    Parker Lewis was rad!

There have been so many shows that were cancelled too soon, but one that sticks in my head is "Now and Again" from 1999. That was a great show that really deserved another season. It ends on a cliffhanger with no resolution.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212395/?ref_=nm_knf_t2

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    There have been so many shows that were cancelled too soon, but one that sticks in my head is "Now and Again" from 1999. That was a great show that really deserved another season. It ends on a cliffhanger with no resolution.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212395/?ref_=nm_knf_t2
    Just saw this thread and thought "I wonder if anyone has mentioned Now And Again", and here we are. That was a great show. The actors even offered to use tv movies the network were obligated to give them to close off the story, but were refused.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Just saw this thread and thought "I wonder if anyone has mentioned Now And Again", and here we are. That was a great show. The actors even offered to use tv movies the network were obligated to give them to close off the story, but were refused.
    Such a shame! I'd love to have a proper ending for this show. I was just googling the show to see if there were any news about it and found that on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 100% score! I don't know if I've ever seen that on RT.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Yeah, that was a great show with a great cast.